Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to Sancerre

Moving to Sancerre

Old Mar 24th 2009, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute
Question Moving to Sancerre

I'm considering buying a house boat situated on the Loire river near Sancerre. Never lived in France, but have visited extensively. I'm assuming with EU passport and reasonably self sufficient, can pretty much buy, arrive and blend in. (Simple version). Any serious drawbacks?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Sancerre

depending on your situation, healthcare could be pricey....
Old Mar 24th 2009, 10:19 am
Forum Regular

vauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond reputevauxhallmonterey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
depending on your situation, healthcare could be pricey....
Strong as a mule, would return to the UK for anything serious. only weakness too much wine.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:26 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by woocus
I'm considering buying a house boat situated on the Loire river near Sancerre. Never lived in France, but have visited extensively. I'm assuming with EU passport and reasonably self sufficient, can pretty much buy, arrive and blend in. (Simple version). Any serious drawbacks?
Learn to duck, And always expect them to sneak up from behind. Walls have ears and the bricks tend too talk to each other a lot, Have not heard of anyone buying a house boat here before. Make sure you reseach the legalities of ownership here as no doubt it's different to the UK. Plus if you intend on moving it about yourself for any reason you will need a French Waterways License "Voies Navigables de France (VNF)"
Old Mar 25th 2009, 7:47 am
Just Joined

stargazerlily is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Learn to duck, And always expect them to sneak up from behind. Walls have ears and the bricks tend too talk to each other a lot, Have not heard of anyone buying a house boat here before. Make sure you reseach the legalities of ownership here as no doubt it's different to the UK. Plus if you intend on moving it about yourself for any reason you will need a French Waterways License "Voies Navigables de France (VNF)"
Okay, Hope this is of help. Firstly do you hold a British passport? = I ask this as a friend of ours is South African who lives on a boat for 6 months of the year in France and has permanent concerns regarding his status in France. Secondly, if you are a British citizen you are still limited to 183 days in total each year in France, although many people ignore it. If you buy a boat in france - french registered, then you may be subject to French Navigational Laws. This means, you will need to take the French Cevni Certificate and /or Barge Skippers Permit (is it a barge you are buying ?) Also you will need to have some form of International Certificate of Competence (ICC) to navigate the Canals and Rivers. If you wish to go to sea, this has to be extended. These are much easier to obtain in UK because of the Language. The Barge association will advise on this. I understand there is a guy in Cambrai who offers courses to take these tests, and I am told has in the past tested in English, but not sure now. Also many of the Port de Plaisancce insist that you move during the summer months, even if you pay for a year's mooring, and I understand that many are now very reluctant at allowing barges or any boat bigger than 15 metres onto thier moorings for long term or winter berths. This is a huge problem now!...so if your boat is bigger than 15 metres, make sure you have a secured mooring/berth before you go ahead and purchase, and also see the contract for this. All said, Sancerre, has some brilliant wines., particualrly the Rose, which is special and rare to obtain, even though relatively cheap !!!! Others things to consider, -if the boat is French registered you may have to pay the annual tax on the boat which I am told can be as much as 12% of its value or insured value. You also have to have the annual VNF which for a 15 metre is 390€ approx if you intend moving and using the boat on the canals and Rivers. If you become a French resident, the boat will be subjected to French Law and you will have to pay the annual tax on top of everything else as well as cpmplleting the french navigation or boating qualifications in French. There are many schools which offer this for boats up to 20 metres.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 8:24 am
Just Joined

Hope this helps..thought I had replied already but has not been posted! There are two areas to be aware on buying a boat in France. Firstly if you are buying a French registered boat, you have to take the French Certificate of Competence. There are many Bateaux schools which will do this, but it is in French and your French has to be good. If you intend taking the boat to sea, then you have to extend your qualification. You also have to pay the annual boat tax, which is anything up to 12% of either its value, purchase price, or insured value. the Inland Waterways permit - VNF is mandatory, and depending on the size of the boat, can be approx. 390€. Like any vehicle, you must carrying insurance for the boat. The VNF will not issue the permit, unless they have proof of ownership, insurance and handling qualification. ( there are many who ignore purchasing the permit, which is a shame as it means the waterways are not serviced as they should be ) If you are purchasing a British registered boat, then the French annual tax does not apply, as you are in effect "en Voyage". Be careful on this if you intend staying in sancerre permanently as you may have to registered the boat to French. However, you still need to produce the CEVNI and ICC qualifications to show handling ability, up to date insurance on the boat, and proof of ownership. These are checked particualarly going through the larger locks on the Rivers. The other thing to realise is that if you hold a British Passport, and are not taking up French residency, then you have to comply with the 183 days ruling - only allowed to be in France for a maximum of 183 days in any given year. although there are many people who ignore this. I have a South African friend, who spends 6 months of each year on his boat in France, and I know he is constantly concerned over his status in France as it is different to the EU 183 days! Another consideration is the size of your boat!. Many Port de Plaisances, now refuse to take boats over 15 metres on winter or long term berths. This is becoming a huge porblem and many are now trying to sell and buy smaller boats to be able to get a winter mooring. If you are purchasing a boat bigger than 15 metres and it is a barge type, then make sure you have a contract for a secure winter or annual mooring Long Term! ( Don;t just take the sellers word on this )The Barge Association will help advise on this and obtaining boat qualification for the French Water ways. I understand there is a guy in Cambrai, northern France, who used to organise the tests in English, but not sure now as French Authorities are clamping down on this. You must have the boat surveyed prior to buying for your own piece of mind, and also the engine/s checked ! Having said alll this, Sancerre has good wine, particualrly the Rose, which is rare, but relatively cheap. It does become cold around Sancerre in the winter, so be aware of this. You will need transport around this area, as the Port De Plaisaince is quite a distance from any amenities.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

thanks for a brilliant and informative response, really appreciated. Some quick responses - I hold a EU passport issued in the UK and am a british citizen - the boat is a 17m river cruiser in poor to below ave condition so needs much work, but has according to present owners a years mooring rights at least, my french is pathetic so am cramming like mad, and Rose is possibly my favourite wine, and with it being quite reasonable, I can only take it as a good sign. Also will ensure I have a vehicle available. Initially I would bring the boat back to full working order and then - if possible move towards the UK - no particular area but very familiar with Tonbridge, Maidstone Crowborough area, as well as Egham. But will cross those bridges later.
thanks again.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:16 am
Just Joined

thanks for a brilliant and informative response, really appreciated. Some quick responses - I hold a EU passport issued in the UK and am a british citizen - the boat is a 17m river cruiser in poor to below ave condition so needs much work, but has according to present owners a years mooring rights at least, my french is pathetic so am cramming like mad, and Rose is possibly my favourite wine, and with it being quite reasonable, I can only take it as a good sign. Also will ensure I have a vehicle available. Initially I would bring the boat back to full working order and then - if possible move towards the UK - no particular area but very familiar with Tonbridge, Maidstone Crowborough area, as well as Egham. But will cross those bridges later.
thanks again.
as a very quick reply, boats are very very much cheaper in UK because of economic situation. ..apologises for multiple replies
Old Mar 25th 2009, 8:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by stargazerlily
as a very quick reply, boats are very very much cheaper in UK because of economic situation. ..apologises for multiple replies
Make sure that you are allowed to do extensive work on your boat in the port de plaisance, -St. Thiboult - ( I believe ) as many do not allow extensive work to be done. There are a few boat yards around the canal system and some are English owned that you may be able to have the boat pulled out and you can work on... but check this out. The yards can be expensive . Do not take the seller's word that you have a years mooring...make sure you see the contract for this and contact the captianierre in St Thiboult to check this is correct. Have you asked why the seller is selling the boat ? If the answer is because they want a smaller boat, beware. I understand he does speak a little English and has been there over 30 years. make sure you have the boat surveyed, again, do not take the seller's word. Too many friends have been sucked in by being told they had a recent survey on boats, and bought these so called surveys only to find they were out of date and incorrect and the boats neede extensive work on them. Sorry to be such a Jonah. New regulations are being brought into the waterways, and large boat owners are seeing that more than 15 metres are becoming a problem unless it is a secure mooring - in the Paris region house boats are now far more acceptable and moorings are sort after. This is also the same for the British Inland Waterways, so make sure you do your homework and secure a mooring in the UK of you are thinking of taking the boat to UK. ... If you need any more help , I will try to be of assistance. Though can't think why you wish to leave SA
me self, lived in Lesotho back in the early 1990's and loved it to bits. but ahh well that is another story. ....
Old Mar 25th 2009, 8:19 pm

thanks again.
I was born in Pembury hospital many years ago, And worked East Sussex and Kent for BT. Last houses I had was in Ticehurst and Tunbridge Wells.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:07 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But will cross those bridges later.
thanks again.
I think it can be quite tricky crossing bridges in a boat. It's easier usually to go under them.

Best of luck with your plans woocus, sound idyllic.

<I used to live on a boat, in Cambridge. It sank>.
Old Mar 25th 2009, 10:59 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

What sank, cambridge or the boat?
Old Mar 25th 2009, 11:08 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think it can be quite tricky crossing bridges in a boat. It's easier usually to go under them.

Best of luck with your plans woocus, sound idyllic.

<I used to live on a boat, in Cambridge. It sank>.
Heavy Armored can always get boats over bridges, Just blow em up
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:07 am
Forum Regular

Thanks again for the info, which is printed out and stuck on the wall, and I will work thro the detail point for point. I think the present owners are splitting, which has initiated the sale. Cape Town is lovely, but I'm wanting to semi retire, and my prognosis for the long term future here is negative - If Mr Zuma becomes SA's new president, there are too many shades of Mugabe evident. I could be wrong, but going on historical evidence, SA is sliding into 3rd world conditions, and the momentum is gathering.
Will keep you posted as I progress.
Old Mar 26th 2009, 7:51 am
Just Joined

Thanks again for the info, which is printed out and stuck on the wall, and I will work thro the detail point for point. I think the present owners are splitting, which has initiated the sale. Cape Town is lovely, but I'm wanting to semi retire, and my prognosis for the long term future here is negative - If Mr Zuma becomes SA's new president, there are too many shades of Mugabe evident. I could be wrong, but going on historical evidence, SA is sliding into 3rd world conditions, and the momentum is gathering.
Will keep you posted as I progress.
What a shame Politicians spoil a country... mind you they seem to spoil everything! Good luck with the purchase and move, keep us posted. One question my partner asks - will you be the only person handling the boat? as 17 metres may be too much for one person particularly in poor conditions, tying alongside and going through locks. Travelling through the canals, is a great way of seeing France!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.