Moving to France and Residence Permit

Wikiposts

Moving to France and Residence Permit

Old Oct 18th 2020, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

arashtrip is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to France and Residence Permit

Hi,

In summary, we are a couple both British citizens and have income in the UK and we want to live in the Europe in long term. We do not want to do it now. However, due to Brexit it will be very difficult after Jan 2021 and so we were thinking may be there is an easier way (I know the French bureaucracy and so I doubt if there is an easy way!).

In the UK, getting a residency before Jan 2021 is a piece of cake for the EU citizens. they download an app, fill a form and receive a decision quickly by email.

In my view it is not the case in many countries I checked like Italy and France.
So, as France is the closest country I have some questions:
-about the accommodation, can we have a long rental by Airbnb and use its documents as the proof of address?
-we want to apply as a self-sufficient people and so online bank statements from our internet bank are enough in your view?
-how long does it take to get a decision (I assume it should not be quick at all)? Anyone has been successful? Can we visit the UK during this period?
-if we manage to get the new residence permit, for how long can we live outside France? In the UK it is two years!

It is funny that the UK government provided a very easy and relaxed system for the EU citizens but the not the other way around.

meanwhile anyone knows about an EU country with an easy system like the UK?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 9:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to France and Residence Permit

Originally Posted by arashtrip
Hi,

In summary, we are a couple both British citizens and have income in the UK and we want to live in the Europe in long term. We do not want to do it now. However, due to Brexit it will be very difficult after Jan 2021 and so we were thinking may be there is an easier way (I know the French bureaucracy and so I doubt if there is an easy way!).

In the UK, getting a residency before Jan 2021 is a piece of cake for the EU citizens. they download an app, fill a form and receive a decision quickly by email.

In my view it is not the case in many countries I checked like Italy and France.
-about the accommodation, can we have a long rental by Airbnb and use its documents as the proof of address?
-we want to apply as a self-sufficient people and so online bank statements from our internet bank are enough in your view?
-how long does it take to get a decision (I assume it should not be quick at all)? Anyone has been successful? Can we visit the UK during this period?
-if we manage to get the new residence permit, for how long can we live outside France? In the UK it is two years!

It is funny that the UK government provided a very easy and relaxed system for the EU citizens but the not the other way around.

You might want to check this page: https://www.longtermrentalsinfrance....er-brexit.html OK, so here is my general advice that I have been giving to clients thinking of renting a property in France:
If you have been planning to move to France for sometime, then you should just get on and do it.
I have said this from Day 1, at the grassroots level, Brexit will impact people. But the impact will involve more forms having to be filled out and people will have to pay more for their healthcare in France. If you are a millionaire with extensive assets, it could have more ramifications, but for the little people that is the extent that it will touch us directly.

I am not trying to diminish the impact of Brexit. But the reality is that:
  1. nobody knows what is going to happen - least of all the politicians
  2. there are between 170,000 to 400,000 British nationals living in France - the French government does not want to kick us all out
  3. as much as you can try and prepare now, following Brexit, a new system of residency will be introduced, with new rules
  4. Brexit will take years to resolve
Here in France we have seen our friends rushing to obtain a carte de sejour. In reality, in a legal sense, the carte de sejour is just a document that confirms that somebody was resident in France at a point in time (and I accept that if you have lived in France for less than 5 years or you are not economically active, it is important to obtain some proof of living here). But the carte de sejour doesn't in itself qualify people for permanent residency to stay in France indefinitely. There are also many other documents (such as your French tax return, utility bills, carte vitale, etc), which can all collectively be used to confirm that you have been living in France.

The other thing, is that the French government has always indicated that it will introduce a new French residency application system for British nationals at the point when Brexit happens. The only 2 things that we know about this is that
  1. the French government will mirror exactly what system the UK government introduces to deal with EU nationals applying for residency in the UK
  2. it will provide 2 types of residency temporary residency (for up to 5 years) and permanent residency (which slightly confusingly only lasts for 10 years, but can be extended) (see French decree on post-Brexit residency)

Applying for French residency

The new online French residency application system will be operational from 19 October 2020 (its launch has been postponed twice - mainly because nobody knew what the hell the British wanted to do with Brexit and latterly because of Covid-19). The new residency application system is expected to be a simplified version of the current carte de sejour application process, without the need to book a formal meeting at the local préfecture (see French residency application after Brexit). Applicants will have to scan supporting documents to the e-service system and they may need to register for finger print samples to be taken.

The French government have a very useful website (in English), where you can find out information of how to apply for French residency and what supporting documents you need (see Droite au Séjour).

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 18th 2020 at 9:30 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 9:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Just to add to that, the easiest system would be Ireland.
British citizens continue to have the right to live and work in Ireland as part of the Common Travel Area. You can read about residence rights of UK citizens.

Rights of UK citizens in Ireland after 31 January 2020

If you are a British citizen living in Ireland, you have many of the same rights and entitlements as an Irish citizen. British citizens can:
  • Enter Ireland without a visa
  • Travel between the UK and Ireland
  • Work without an employment permit
  • Access the public healthcare system
  • Vote in general elections
These rights are based on a series of bilateral agreements between Ireland and the UK that started in 1922. You can read more about the Common Travel Area between Ireland and the United Kingdom.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 9:45 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
In answer to your questions, I can only say that an AirBnB rental is insufficient to justify residence. By definition they are only short-term rentals, 90 consecutive days maximum. A short-term (1 year) rental in furnished accommodation might suit.
You mustn't forget compulsory healthcare insurance between Day 1 and the day you enter the French Social Security System (after 3 months and the time it takes to process your applications), as you wouldn't be tourists. I may be wrong, but it's unlikely that the EHIC would be accepted when applying for French Healthcare and Residency. For Residency, you also need to justify an adequate monthly income and you might do well to open a French Bank Account to demonstrate your wish to integrate. (If that is indeed your wish, but you're already talking about living outside France)
HTH
P.S. You say you're a couple. Are you married? If not, France is very "partner-unfriendly" and couples who are not legally bound have to take a lot of legal aspects into account...

Last edited by dmu; Oct 18th 2020 at 9:50 pm.
Old Oct 18th 2020, 10:27 pm
Just Joined

arashtrip is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
In answer to your questions, I can only say that an AirBnB rental is insufficient to justify residence. By definition they are only short-term rentals, 90 consecutive days maximum. A short-term (1 year) rental in furnished accommodation might suit.
You mustn't forget compulsory healthcare insurance between Day 1 and the day you enter the French Social Security System (after 3 months and the time it takes to process your applications), as you wouldn't be tourists. I may be wrong, but it's unlikely that the EHIC would be accepted when applying for French Healthcare and Residency. For Residency, you also need to justify an adequate monthly income and you might do well to open a French Bank Account to demonstrate your wish to integrate. (If that is indeed your wish, but you're already talking about living outside France)
HTH
P.S. You say you're a couple. Are you married? If not, France is very "partner-unfriendly" and couples who are not legally bound have to take a lot of legal aspects into account...
Thank you for your comment.

So it would be very difficult as I know renting a place in France is a nightmare!!

About the private health insurance it is ok and we have bank statements showing sufficient funds. But opening a bank statement could be a big hassle.

Yes we are married
Old Oct 18th 2020, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

due to Brexit it will be very difficult after Jan 2021
I don't know why you think this.
Loads and loads of non EU citizens move to France. The system for Brits after the end of this year will be at worst exactly the same process they all manage to navigate without a problem, at best it may be easier of the UK makes some kind of agreement although I rather doubt it will.
The special Withdrawal Agreement residence permit is issued on the basis of entitlement that people have already built up by living in France. The intial card allows you to spend a limited time outside of France each year (can't remember the details but they are stated on the various sites).
I think for any EU country the process is basically the same in the sense that for an EU citizen who is genuinely living there it will be just a few clicks to get a permit, but an EU citizen who is not living there will have problems because it is not intended for them.
The visa process is less of a commitment. You apply, you get it, then you're free to come and go as you please for as long as the visa lasts. When it expires you renew it.
I don't really see what advantage there is in trying to go through a process that isn't designed for people in your situation, it is like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole, when there is a perfectly good square hole the peg will fit into without the effort of trying to bend and force it to fit.

Old Oct 19th 2020, 4:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Why are you thinking that you can apply for a french residence card without actually living in France with all the responsibility that that entails such as paying French taxes etc?
And the French website to apply for residency post Brexit is straightforward provided you have all the documents concerned and are living in France