Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to France with primary age child

Moving to France with primary age child

Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:27 pm
Just Joined

muppa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to France with primary age child

Hi, Just wondered if anyone could give us experience of moving to France with child/children of primary age. We are thinking of relocating to the Dordogne or Charente region with our 10 year old (current year 5) and would be grateful for information on how we could make it easier for her to intergrate quickly and smoothly! We've heard that we may have left it too late but others have said it should be OK but it would be good to hear actual experiences.

Thanks.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Re: Moving to France with primary age child

We moved last July with a 7 (now 8) and 4 year old.

They've both taken to school really well. The eldest especially. It was difficult at first but the school were good and gave her extra lessons in French. She's now swot of the class and everyone tries to copy from her . It help that the English start school younger so she was a bit more ahead in Maths etc. So while they were doing that she concentrated on French.

We also gave her lesson at home for two years before we left. And although that wasn't a great help, it at least gave her some words.

In fact it's the younger one we've had more problems with. But she is just beggining to speak a bit a school now. She is the more timid one of the two though.

I can't help with a ten year old really. But I'm sure it will be fine. Might be difficult for 6 months or so.

I'd say the bigger problem might be for the adults. I'm really struggling. My wife is doing ok though

I assume you have an income.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 3:41 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muppa
Hi, Just wondered if anyone could give us experience of moving to France with child/children of primary age. We are thinking of relocating to the Dordogne or Charente region with our 10 year old (current year 5) and would be grateful for information on how we could make it easier for her to intergrate quickly and smoothly! We've heard that we may have left it too late but others have said it should be OK but it would be good to hear actual experiences.

Thanks.
Hi, my two were born in France, so I haven't any actual experience to relate, but your daughter would normally be in the last year of Primaire. It might be worth considering asking for her to do this year twice in order to get her French together and get used to the French Education System before going up to Collège (Secondary). It's a real shock, even for French children, to go up to Collège and I pity any foreign child without French and French culture who's thrown in at the deep end.
Many French children stay down a year if they aren't considered ready for the leap, so it's no big deal if your daughter does the year again.
Hope this reassures you a little!
Old Apr 5th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

I came over with a ten year old and an 8 year old. The eight year old settled very quickly and has coped well, although a lack of vocab pops up now and again now he is college.

The 10 year old took longer to settle but did eventually. Her grades have been great in all subjects apart from French since the end of our first year here. This year her grades in French finally joined the other subjects. She asked for extra lessons in French after 2 years in College; it seems to help her clarify the more tricky parts of grammar. Emotionally she loves school here

I am sure it will be ok
Old Apr 5th 2012, 9:58 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by muppa

Thanks.
Welcome to the forum, If you get any issues give me a shout.