Reload this Page >

Moving to France but have some debts in UK

Moving to France but have some debts in UK

Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

BeneMilano is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to France but have some debts in UK

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I'm trying to feel morally OK with this but I'm struggling. I know moneylenders are the lowest of the low, but - they provide a service to people who need it and when you avail yourself of a service it's only right to pay for it; not doing, makes you no better than they are.
If you want someone to install a fitted kitchen, would you accept his quote and then when you've got your kitchen, you pay him the bare cost of the materials and tell him to go whistle for the rest? No, because everybody knows it costs money to operate a business. He didn't fit your kitchen as a personal favour, loan sharks don't lend you money as a personal favour. They have to make a profit same as any other business, the reason the interest rates are high in the sub prime sector is not because they make huge profits but because they know that only a proportion of debts will be recovered, and the higher the proportion of clients that default, the higher the charges will be for future clients.
A business has risk - this man has had a rough ride so let him smile and move on - the lenders have not lost ...
as you said "... they know that only a proportion of debts will be recovered,"

lets not pontificate or lecture someone who has been ill!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 5:24 pm

Harvester523 is an unknown quantity at this point

"this man"? Have you actually read the thread?
No, it's not morally OK. You take the money, you know the costs. That's not to say I don't think loan sharks should be outlawed.

Last edited by Harvester523; Jan 8th 2014 at 5:27 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:24 pm
Forum Regular

astitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant future

I'm trying to feel morally OK with this but I'm struggling. I know moneylenders are the lowest of the low, but - they provide a service to people who need it and when you avail yourself of a service it's only right to pay for it; not doing, makes you no better than they are.
If you want someone to install a fitted kitchen, would you accept his quote and then when you've got your kitchen, you pay him the bare cost of the materials and tell him to go whistle for the rest? No, because everybody knows it costs money to operate a business. He didn't fit your kitchen as a personal favour, loan sharks don't lend you money as a personal favour. They have to make a profit same as any other business, the reason the interest rates are high in the sub prime sector is not because they make huge profits but because they know that only a proportion of debts will be recovered, and the higher the proportion of clients that default, the higher the charges will be for future clients.
Don't worry guys, I have an arrangement in place with Payplan who will operate this on my behalf. They have all my new income details and the payments are now down to just over £500 pcm (they were nearly £1200 pcm before but that left me struggling). Payplan have obviously taken a few things into account which I omitted so all in all, the strain will be less.

I do believe in Karma and as silly as it may sound, I almost live in fear of doing something 'naughty' because I dread to think what the cost would be to me!! I am not talking about licking the spoon and putting it back in the ice cream, or dropping that fish finger on the floor, picking it up asap and putting it back on the plate (we all do that don't we???), I mean the big stuff which really affects other people. Universal energy and all that. You cannot take take take and not expect to give at some point.

Anyway, debt payments taken care of, Will take twice as long to pay off but hopefully (if they freeze the interest), it will be little over a year; and move planning in place!

I have a good feeling about the move. I was in a blind panic a week ago I have to admit. I had this opportunity staring me in the face and I saw the biggest hurdle of all being the debts preventing me taking it. After some time, some research, some sleep and some perspective, everything is as it should be. Fingers crossed, the creditors will all agree to Payplan's proposal - but I am staying positive. Surely even a reduced amount is better than nothing to them!!

Old Jan 8th 2014, 6:35 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astitchingtime

Anyway, debt payments taken care of, Will take twice as long to pay off but hopefully (if they freeze the interest), it will be little over a year; and move planning in place!

I have a good feeling about the move. I was in a blind panic a week ago I have to admit. I had this opportunity staring me in the face and I saw the biggest hurdle of all being the debts preventing me taking it. After some time, some research, some sleep and some perspective, everything is as it should be. Fingers crossed, the creditors will all agree to Payplan's proposal - but I am staying positive. Surely even a reduced amount is better than nothing to them!!

Good for you. Did you say to whereabouts (in general) you're relocating? You mentioned 'about an hour away from Brittany' I think.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 7:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Did you say to whereabouts (in general) you're relocating? You mentioned 'about an hour away from Brittany' I think.
Ooo, that's where I live - poor ol' Stitch, we might end up neighbours
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

We (you and I) are already neighbours. It can't get any worse.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

We (you and I) are already neighbours. It can't get any worse.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

astitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant futureastitchingtime has a brilliant future

Basse-Normandie (about 1.5 hours from the grandparents in Brittany).

I will have one English neighbour and one French neighbour, then nobody for miles, so hopefully the distance between us is enough!!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 8:47 pm
Born again atheist

Basse-Normandie (about 1.5 hours from the grandparents in Brittany).

I will have one English neighbour and one French neighbour, then nobody for miles, so hopefully the distance between us is enough!!
I think ET and TinaBee are both in 61 (?) I'm in 14.

Getting worried yet?
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

I think ET and TinaBee are both in 61 (?) I'm in 14.

Getting worried yet?
Oh stop trying to blind me with numbers!!

I am shaking a little as I type this though!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:38 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Oh stop trying to blind me with numbers!!

I am shaking a little as I type this though!
A departments "Bit like a English county" number is something you will learn to get used to, it's the first two numbers of the post code which are the same as the last two digits of the old car number plates in a little blue box on the new ones although doesn't have to be there anymore.

Each administrative region is built up out of a group of departments and equals more paper work and trips to places to file paperwork and hand out numerous copies

Also if a driver is from a department or three away it's considered polite to scream and shout at them and generally wave your arms in disgust if they make simple driver errors.

Last edited by Chatter Static; Jan 8th 2014 at 9:41 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
a group of departments and equals more paper work and trips to places to file paperwork and hand out numerous copies
Yes, but at least it gives people jobs that would otherwise be out of work!!!

It always used to amuse me when I used to travel to India on business. You for a meeting and they give you a 'chitty' which appears to have nothing of any relevance on it, just a random piece of paper. So that's one job, for the person issuing the chitty. Then you take that with you along a corridor or whatever, and there is usually a man sitting at a table who takes your chitty, throws it away and perhaps might even hand you another chitty (another job) and it goes on. On one particular day I was given a string of 4 chitties before i even got to meet anyone!

Anyway, yes I have some understanding of the 'department' structure in France although first hand experience will no doubt be one to remember!!

And as for the frantic gesticulating.....If that be the case, my hands would never be on the wheel surely!! You should try driving here in Devon. Nobody but nobody seems to understand how to act at a traffic island. They usually seem to hesitate, give way to the left instead of the right, pull out in front of you if you are coming from the right, not move at all until several cars honk at them to do so or pay no heed to the give way code of conduct at all. You should see me gesticulating just doing the school run!!!

Last edited by astitchingtime; Jan 8th 2014 at 9:46 pm.
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:54 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but at least it gives people jobs that would otherwise be out of work!!!

It always used to amuse me when I used to travel to India on business. You for a meeting and they give you a 'chitty' which appears to have nothing of any relevance on it, just a random piece of paper. So that's one job, for the person issuing the chitty. Then you take that with you along a corridor or whatever, and there is usually a man sitting at a table who takes your chitty, throws it away and perhaps might even hand you another chitty (another job) and it goes on. On one particular day I was given a string of 4 chitties before i even got to meet anyone!

Anyway, yes I have some understanding of the 'department' structure in France although first hand experience will no doubt be one to remember!!

And as for the frantic gesticulating.....If that be the case, my hands would never be on the wheel surely!! You should try driving here in Devon. Nobody but nobody seems to understand how to act at a traffic island. They usually seem to hesitate, give way to the left instead of the right, pull out in front of you if you are coming from the right, not move at all until several cars honk at them to do so or pay no heed to the give way code of conduct at all. You should see me gesticulating just doing the school run!!!
Well don't forget at un white lined junctions here priority is to the right which means some old folk really struggle with roundabouts. Our village has a whole bunch of junctions where down hill traffic has priority, all three way intersections a marked out in a most confusing manner
Old Jan 8th 2014, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Well don't forget at un white lined junctions here priority is to the right which means some old folk really struggle with roundabouts. Our village has a whole bunch of junctions where down hill traffic has priority, all three way intersections a marked out in a most confusing manner
Hmm, a home from home for me then by the sounds of it. I think that is the general problem here. There are a lot of 'older' people and they dither and are unsure. They say, everything in life happens for a reason, maybe living here for a while was like a 'trial run' or training session for France!!

Oh what Joy!
Old Jan 8th 2014, 10:10 pm
Born again atheist

Hmm, a home from home for me then by the sounds of it. I think that is the general problem here. There are a lot of 'older' people and they dither and are unsure. They say, everything in life happens for a reason, maybe living here for a while was like a 'trial run' or training session for France!!

Oh what Joy!
I find driving in Basse Normandie to be a doddle compared to driving in the UK, where I'm from, or Ontario, where I currently live when I'm not in France.

Paris is a bit less doddly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.