Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to france, 28 year old male ..HELP!

Moving to france, 28 year old male ..HELP!

Old Jun 11th 2020, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

May contain nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to france, 28 year old male ..HELP!

Think the key question regarding language fluency (or lack of it) is can you communicate?
If the answer to that is yes - then all the rest should follow in the fullness of time.. Very few of us could claim to be truly fluent - certainly not me.
For retirees, it's not that critical - but if you intend to enter the job market, then you will be expected to be at least competent.
Old Jun 11th 2020, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

bitmanev is on a distinguished road

Have a look in the status of having a UK driving license while wanting to move to the EU as I'm not sure if it's wise to get your UK license while moving to France in this Brexit times
I as a EU born citizen living in the UK since 2003 changed my UK drivers license* back to an EU one through my country of birth to make sure I will not having problems when coming back to the EU (having a house in Spain) in the near future

*I had to change my EU drivers license back in 2004 to a UK one because of doing HGV / ADR driving jobs
Old Jun 11th 2020, 8:21 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

just to be clear - your ex-girlfriend is living in France now?
Is she employed?
Your reasons for splitting up do not seem to preclude a reconciliation if you moved to France - obviously that's something that you and she need to figure out.
If she's employed with a job to go to after maternity leave and you guys think you have a chance of reconciliation then why not become a stay at home dad for a bit? I'm not saying that getting a job will be easy at all - in fact I concur with the other advice given here but what's the alternative?
Can she earn enough to support the family for a while? Would she?
The other thing - make sure your name is on the birth certificate and assert your child's right to have 2 parents. get some legal advice regarding custody/visitation rights and get an agreement signed. And pay child support.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 2:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Nand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond reputeNand has a reputation beyond repute

Regardless of what happens, speaking french when you visit france will be good.
Pimsler is the best. It moves you quickly into conversational phrases you can use.

Best wishes for all things working out well for the whole family.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 8:09 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
just to be clear - your ex-girlfriend is living in France now?
Is she employed?
Your reasons for splitting up do not seem to preclude a reconciliation if you moved to France - obviously that's something that you and she need to figure out.
If she's employed with a job to go to after maternity leave and you guys think you have a chance of reconciliation then why not become a stay at home dad for a bit? I'm not saying that getting a job will be easy at all - in fact I concur with the other advice given here but what's the alternative?
Can she earn enough to support the family for a while? Would she?
The other thing - make sure your name is on the birth certificate and assert your child's right to have 2 parents. get some legal advice regarding custody/visitation rights and get an agreement signed. And pay child support.
+1
I would also add that France isn't partner-friendly and the OP and his ex, whether reconciled or not, would be considered as two independent individuals as far as French Administrations are concerned. For example, a stay-at-home non-French Dad without income would be an "inactif", which wouldn't help his application for residency after 3 months....
A lot depends on the personal relationship between the two parents, which is none of our business, but the OP should be aware of the pitfalls awaiting him, and discuss everything in depth with his ex (who, being French, might not be aware of all the issues that potential expats face.)
P.S. We are assuming a lot. The OP might like to confirm that his ex is French, is living and working in France, and will give birth in France....
Old Jun 12th 2020, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

House husband is certainly an idea if circumstances permit, but I do wonder how hard it would be for Josh to adapt. He doesn't immediately strike me as a natural stay-at-home dad.
Originally Posted by Chopper92
28 year old male, never had any gaps in my employment history, never claimed benefits and have only ever had 1 day off sick - Been working since the age of 16.
Old Jun 12th 2020, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Chopper92 is an unknown quantity at this point

PetiteFrancaise / DMU - Yes she is a French Citizen and is working full time. The birth of our daughter would be in France as well.