Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Moving to Bordeaux - but which area?

Moving to Bordeaux - but which area?

Old Aug 12th 2015, 3:05 am
Just Joined

Merrytraveller is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Bordeaux - but which area?

We are moving to Bordeaux next year. We have visited the city, but only as tourists. Can anyone recommend good areas to live with young children?

Our requirements are as follows:
- Access to public transport as we hope to avoid buying a car
- Safe and family friendly with decent schools (primary school level)
- Walking distance to local shops and school
- We can spend approximately 1500 to 1900 euro per month on rent
- Somewhere with plenty of green space where it is appropriate for our three high energy kids to run and play, as we may not be able to afford a place with a garden if we are to be walking distance from everything.

We are open to settling in a small town near Bordeaux but my husband will have to return to the UK regularly for work so he will need to be able to get to and from the airport.

Thanks!
Old Aug 14th 2015, 8:05 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Bordeaux - but which area?

I cannot help on areas in Bordeaux, but bear in mind public transport is far patchier than in the UK. Large areas have no buses at all except the school bus. The trains whilst pretty good, are not cheap. Taxis are expensive.
Have a look on Annonces Locations Bordeaux - leboncoin.fr
I put in 1500 to 1800 in Bordeaux itself. Outside the city the rent would go farther.
Old Aug 14th 2015, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

Exp76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Moving to Bordeaux - but which area?

Check out Merignac. On the outskirts of Bordeaux, airport is right there, cheaper than central Bordeaux and there's a tram line into the city.