Moving Away

Old May 15th 2015, 10:35 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving Away

Originally Posted by Intours
That was really interesting reading that.

My kids are half French half English with an 'English' surname. Both born in Blois and both speak French as their first language.

My little girl (8) is an English rose who can swap effortlessly between French and English and speaks with a quintessentially English accent. My boy (5) on the other hand is a grumpy French bloke that struggles with English and has zero patience. Can't wait until he learns to drive.
Reminds me of when we took our kids to the "French" Xmas party in the UK.
There was a French/Irish boy (9-ish) who gruffly objected to anyone talking to him in French - he was perhaps a bit embarrassed talking in French.
Today, he is fluent and at ease in both languages.
Old May 18th 2015, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

Bonnet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by babyposer
You have learned to ignore anecdotes... yet your posts are full of anecdotes.

Do you really think 'real' French people go out and pick grapes on a Sunday? Seriously?! You gotta be kidding.

Plus, whether you like it or not Paris is FRANCE !

Arrête de vivre dans ton monde de bisounours !

And are you sure you live in France? 'Harcèlement de rue' is a hot topic at the moment.

Yes, it's a fact, in England 'harcèlement de rue' barely exists. And the rate crime in England is at its lowest.

Whereas in France, it's rising: Délinquance : le nombre d'agressions et d'escroqueries n'a jamais été aussi élevé

And please stop denigrating the members of this forum. Because honestly there are many helpful people here.

I really think you're living in your own little world. Good for you, I wish I had those rose tinted spectacles.
This has to be one of the more stupid posts I have yet seen in here.

First I never mentioned a Sunday...my own experience involves an 80+ year old single man who had a small vineyard. Every year he invited friends and neighbours to his recolte and to the usual party afterwards. It was a long standing part of HIS social life...So enough of the sniping.

Secondly Paris is NOT France. It is a capital city. It has a totally different demographic than the rest of France. It has nothing to do with France's biggest earner...agriculture. The way you live in a city is not comparable to the way you live outside one. So once again, enough of the sniping.

In case you hadn't heard, GB is suffering from a spate of grooming underage girls and hoiking them off for some jollies. It hasn't stopped even tho the press has lost interest...it has, according to the police, gone underground. In cities all over GB there are incidents of violence and if you think it doesn't happen, then YOU take off your rosy spectacles.

I worked my socks off for over 40 years in GB watching it slowly go downhill. I knew what I wanted when I came here and made damned sure I found it. I looked at new builds when I was moving two years ago and found them to be pretty bloody awful. I don't want a city or a lot of people in one place...I had had enough of them.
What I DO understand is that every one who comes here has a different idea of what they want. Not what YOU want...what THEY want. I'll let you do the talking about raising a family here tho I suspect it isn't very different from GB but you DON'T get to deny the FACT that it is perfectly possible to find another kind of life here if you do the homework first.

As for what the French think of the Brits, my experience is different. They dislike those who don't speak French and they dislike those who refuse to integrate...just as Brits dislike immigrants to GB who do the same things. But then be careful...as Intours said, they may be laughing at you.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a varied view of France and what can be found here. I am perfectly aware of the poverty, hardship, good sense and practicalities of living here...it has been long enough. But there is another side and I don't think anyone has the right to deny it if they have never either looked for it or found it. And I will stop offering it when the others in here stop whingeing about France and how dreadful it is and warning people to stay away. I repeat...if you don't like it, move away. Practise what you preach.
Old May 18th 2015, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Touraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond reputeTouraine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnet

As for what the French think of the Brits, my experience is different. They dislike those who don't speak French and they dislike those who refuse to integrate...just as Brits dislike immigrants to GB who do the same things. But then be careful...as Intours said, they may be laughing at you.
Ohh la la. I think Bonnet you have more of a bee in your Bonnet about the expats in your area than you do about the expats on this forum. Yes there are a lot of Brits in France who don't know how to integrate. But that is what happens when you live in an expat hotspot.

What is integration by the way ? Am I integrated ?

I have lived all over France from tiny villages (not expat areas) to big cities. I will say again you will have a better more representative experience of French culture living in a large town or city than living in the middle of nowhere.

Remember, the top places where the French want to live are cities...!!!!!!
Old May 18th 2015, 1:17 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

First I never mentioned a Sunday...my own experience involves an 80+ year old single man who had a small vineyard. Every year he invited friends and neighbours to his recolte and to the usual party afterwards. It was a long standing part of HIS social life...So enough of the sniping.

Secondly Paris is NOT France. It is a capital city. It has a totally different demographic than the rest of France. It has nothing to do with France's biggest earner...agriculture. The way you live in a city is not comparable to the way you live outside one. So once again, enough of the sniping.

In case you hadn't heard, GB is suffering from a spate of grooming underage girls and hoiking them off for some jollies. It hasn't stopped even tho the press has lost interest...it has, according to the police, gone underground. In cities all over GB there are incidents of violence and if you think it doesn't happen, then YOU take off your rosy spectacles.

I worked my socks off for over 40 years in GB watching it slowly go downhill. I knew what I wanted when I came here and made damned sure I found it. I looked at new builds when I was moving two years ago and found them to be pretty bloody awful. I don't want a city or a lot of people in one place...I had had enough of them.
What I DO understand is that every one who comes here has a different idea of what they want. Not what YOU want...what THEY want. I'll let you do the talking about raising a family here tho I suspect it isn't very different from GB but you DON'T get to deny the FACT that it is perfectly possible to find another kind of life here if you do the homework first.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a varied view of France and what can be found here. I am perfectly aware of the poverty, hardship, good sense and practicalities of living here...it has been long enough. But there is another side and I don't think anyone has the right to deny it if they have never either looked for it or found it. And I will stop offering it when the others in here stop whingeing about France and how dreadful it is and warning people to stay away. I repeat...if you don't like it, move away. Practise what you preach.
Is GB the same as the UK cos its sounds like a completely different country to me.
Old May 18th 2015, 1:26 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

when the others in here stop whingeing about France and how dreadful it is and warning people to stay away. I repeat...if you don't like it, move away. Practise what you preach.
I repeat what I said in an earlier post. Most of our "whingeing", as you call it, is to draw unsuspecting potential expats' attention to the unknown. It's amazing the number of potential expats who have no idea about the French Social Security system, whatever their status will be, the lack of benefits available upon arrival, the status of self-employed and their social charges and taxes, the rules and regulations about running a B&B or gîte, the French Education System, renting, Property and Inheritance Laws, the list is endless.... Everything is so different from the UK and, as they are asking advice on the Forum, it would be unfair to leave them in ignorance. Once they know all the cons in advance, they can decide for themselves. We certainly aren't warning them to stay away!
Referring to another thread, I suppose integration is accepting all of these French quirks and thinking and acting as a French person, WITHOUT COMPARING WITH THE UK.
Old May 18th 2015, 1:42 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Referring to another thread, I suppose integration is accepting all of these French quirks and thinking and acting as a French person, WITHOUT COMPARING WITH THE UK.
Depends if the French person is Bonnet
Old May 18th 2015, 4:56 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

You should dig back through the old posts more there are some gems back in the past.

Cities tend to have a great influence over agriculture who do you think all the food is being produced for? Remove cities and farmers would spend most their life bored.

Sniping? Other posters are allowed to disagree with you and in all fairness BP is being polite accept the disagreement debate it and debate it some more.

No matter how well you get on with them you will remain an outsider for forever it's the nature of being a foreigner here. Expat enclaves naturally develop all over the world it has been a normal part of migration for centuries and you will always get migrants that think they are above it I see the middle class migrant syndrome everyday numb nuts that won't talk to you in your and their mother tongue because of language snobbery and half the time their French sucks.

You don't work for a living in France and probably have less experience in how hard it would be to find gainful employment here, Honestly there are jobs but it is hard work to get one especially if you arrive with the UK mindset for job hunting and a UK formatted CV.

But hey retiring here is easy once you get your head around the bureaucracy same in Germany and the same in Spain but moving anywhere to work is a whole different kettle of fish Imho.

Last edited by Chatter Static; May 18th 2015 at 4:58 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 6:09 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Chatter Static;.
You don't work for a living in France and probably have less experience in how hard it would be to find gainful employment here, Honestly there are jobs but it is hard work to get one especially if you arrive with the UK mindset for job hunting and a UK formatted CV.
.[/QUOTE]

From another post, Mrs B does say that she runs a B&B and does internet work in her spare time. Yet there hasn't been much advice forthcoming on either status. She also gave a figure for their income which suggests that there's also a comfortable salary and/or Pension coming in. Her life doesn't concern us, but some factual advice to potential expats based on her own experience might be more useful than comments on our Greymalkin curses.
Old May 18th 2015, 6:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

What a relevant comment, thank you

This is an anecdote. Plus I don't think a single old man represents what France is, sorry.

It's not France but it's a big part of France. It's where most people work in this country too.

It's not as bad as in France. I'm not talking about London and Paris.

France is going downhill too FYI. Just because you're sick of the UK doesn't mean it's different or worse than any other countries in Europe.

I repeat...if you don't like it, move away. Practise what you preach.
Blah blah blah... Unfortunately if GB decides to leave the EU, you will have to move away
Old May 18th 2015, 6:47 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
From another post, Mrs B does say that she runs a B&B and does internet work in her spare time. Yet there hasn't been much advice forthcoming on either status. She also gave a figure for their income which suggests that there's also a comfortable salary and/or Pension coming in. Her life doesn't concern us, but some factual advice to potential expats based on her own experience might be more useful than comments on our Greymalkin curses.
Yeh but no but yeh but, thats not mainstream employment and not integrating getting something as simple as unskilled supermarket work here is hard because lot's of people fit the criteria for that sort of employment whereas any numpty with a few pounds in their back pocket can open a B&B "Chambres d'hotes" and or Gites.

Last edited by Chatter Static; May 18th 2015 at 6:55 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Sniping? Other posters are allowed to disagree with you and in all fairness BP is being polite accept the disagreement debate it and debate it some more.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Chatter Static

But hey retiring here is easy once you get your head around the bureaucracy same in Germany and the same in Spain but moving anywhere to work is a whole different kettle of fish Imho.
Exactly. I looked for a job for more than 1 year in France to no avail
AND I'm fluent in French. AND I have a degree.

Some interviews in France (About 10 in one year). There was always something 'wrong'.

Tried to find an unskilled job, to no avail. Wanna be a cleaning lady? Well you better have a degree. Yes in France it's possible to get a cleaning lady diploma. It's not a joke, I know someone who has passed this test. You have to know things about bleaching, water temperature and so on.

Anyways I gave up after a year. Headed to the UK. After 4 interviews in the North East, I got a job. Yes, North East, where the unemployment rate is the worst!

So it's possibly a bit of luck as well but I strongly believe it's easier to find a job in the UK.
Old May 18th 2015, 8:11 pm
Quien no sabe

Originally Posted by babyposer
Thanks!

Exactly. I looked for a job for more than 1 year in France to no avail
AND I'm fluent in French. AND I have a degree.

Some interviews in France (About 10 in one year). There was always something 'wrong'.

Tried to find an unskilled job, to no avail. Wanna be a cleaning lady? Well you better have a degree. Yes in France it's possible to get a cleaning lady diploma. It's not a joke, I know someone who has passed this test. You have to know things about bleaching, water temperature and so on.

Anyways I gave up after a year. Headed to the UK. After 4 interviews in the North East, I got a job. Yes, North East, where the unemployment rate is the worst!

So it's possibly a bit of luck as well but I strongly believe it's easier to find a job in the UK.
Im not sure what skill set your looking in in relation to your degree but we removed anything from our CV's that tended to skill us above the interviewer buy stamps in bulk and keep sending CV's to the same employers every one to two weeks in shops they tend to interview the top 15 CV's in the pile and one of the first 5 to be interviewed will get the job but all of this will walk you into a CDD as in shops CDI's tend to be like rocking horse poo but they do come with time.

Most of the supermarkets around here top half of the Loire just string folk along on CDD's because whilst on a CDD you don't qualify for the 13 month pay check don't qualify for yearly bonus's you get no staff discount and if you complain to the "inspection du travail" or go sick contract is not renewed when it expires.
Old May 18th 2015, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I do think it's a bit dangerous when people assume that the situation today is just as it was when they moved to France x years ago and refuse to believe that people moving now won't have the same experience they had. It is harder to find work now. Several of the jobseekers in Paris that I taught had been looking for work for well over a year - and these were bright, intelligent, well qualified young French people. They found it very demoralising. It's fine to say if you keep trying for long enough you'll get something - maybe you will, but what about the years of one disappointment after another, feeling depressed and hopeless and waiting for your savings to run out. That's not scaremongering and it's not whingeing and it's not dissing France, it's the reality.
Old May 18th 2015, 9:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I do think it's a bit dangerous when people assume that the situation today is just as it was when they moved to France x years ago and refuse to believe that people moving now won't have the same experience they had. It is harder to find work now. Several of the jobseekers in Paris that I taught had been looking for work for well over a year - and these were bright, intelligent, well qualified young French people. They found it very demoralising. It's fine to say if you keep trying for long enough you'll get something - maybe you will, but what about the years of one disappointment after another, feeling depressed and hopeless and waiting for your savings to run out. That's not scaremongering and it's not whingeing and it's not dissing France, it's the reality.
But wrt the bolded bit, it's not just the French reality.

YMMV but everywhere it's the case that young people are finding it very different in a bad way than the previous generation had it.

This is a bit obvious, but I think some of the so-called whinging should be placed in a wider perspective.

It's shit everywhere these days.
Old May 18th 2015, 9:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
. That's not scaremongering and it's not whingeing and it's not dissing France, it's the reality.
I'd go along with that. It's the same for New Zealand. The place , the opportunities and the cost of living has altered big time over the past ten years. More caution is needed these days .

As some of you know, my eyes were set for France but we took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up at the bottom of the world.

May or may not have been for the best. I had reasonably good french language skill at the time. Mr BEVS however may have picked it up by ear but probably never been able to read or write it as he is dyslexic.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.