Reload this Page >

Move to Midi-Pyrenees?

Move to Midi-Pyrenees?

Old Apr 1st 2008, 11:00 pm
Just Joined

stui is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Move to Midi-Pyrenees?

Hi there,

Firstly, we're new to this forum - so hi everyone!

We could really do with some advice and opinions from people who have already been and done what we are planning to do.

Myself and my wife have been thinking about buying a place in France for some time, initially as a holiday home / France test drive with a view to doing something more permanent, and have just been reading on this forum tonight about some other people's experiences.

So far we have really only heard stories of success and encouragement, which to be honest is exactly what we want to hear as of course we are both very much caught up in the excitement of the whole thing!

After much (internet-only) research we had pretty much decided on the Languedoc due the climate, and the fact it is relatively affordable and right on the Med.

However, we have seen a house in Midi-Pyrenees that ticks almost every single box on our list - the best so far in our price range - and are planning to go over for a viewing trip in the next week or two.

It is in a town called Villefranche-de-Rouergue - I was wondering if anybody here has any experience of this town or it's surrounding area and can either recommend or warn us away?

Thanks - Stu
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 7:44 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Move to Midi-Pyrenees?

Originally Posted by stui
Hi there,

We could really do with some advice and opinions from people who have already been and done what we are planning to do.

Myself and my wife have been thinking about buying a place in France for some time, initially as a holiday home / France test drive with a view to doing something more permanent, and have just been reading on this forum tonight about some other people's experiences.

So far we have really only heard stories of success and encouragement, which to be honest is exactly what we want to hear as of course we are both very much caught up in the excitement of the whole thing!

After much (internet-only) research we had pretty much decided on the Languedoc due the climate, and the fact it is relatively affordable and right on the Med.

However, we have seen a house in Midi-Pyrenees that ticks almost every single box on our list - the best so far in our price range - and are planning to go over for a viewing trip in the next week or two.

It is in a town called Villefranche-de-Rouergue - I was wondering if anybody here has any experience of this town or it's surrounding area and can either recommend or warn us away?

Thanks - Stu
Never been to the town but Montaubaun has a Brico Depot which really good for cheap tiles and some building stuff give their tools a miss. On the whole it's probably not a bad spot not to far from Toulouse but out the way A20 is close. We are on the other side of Toulouse and are loving it been here 5 years and despite a few hiccups life is enjoyable.
Old Apr 2nd 2008, 10:16 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stui
Hi there,

Thanks - Stu
I went there (to Villefranche de R) last spring. It had a good market - no it was a really fanstastic market - one of the best I've been too recently! It is famed locally for having a lot of Brits if that is of interest. It is known for having other northern Europeans as well. There was a British products market stall as well as English book stall. It is also known for having quite a few organicy back to the earth types living out in the hill which is always a good sign. This alternative lot are largely French and livened the place up. It was quite macabre in the chilly early spring I found which is not to it's detriment necessarily but it was rather dark and sombre. V beautiful of course. Very.
Old Apr 7th 2008, 12:03 pm
Just Joined

stui is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for your replies. Yes, the area certainly does look very beautiful (at least in all the pictures we have seen)

We are going over to have a look in a couple of days so will find out first hand. Hopefully it wont be too dark and sombre, although looking at the forecasts it seems France is not getting much better weather than us at the moment!
Old Apr 8th 2008, 10:25 am
Just Joined

ian and janet is an unknown quantity at this point

yeap we live near varen in the tarn et garonne, beautifull area for walking and enjoying rural french life, we have been here for 2 years and love it, however i woundnt recommend this area if you are going to be looking for work of any discription. The local people are helpfull and laid back, hope this helps