Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Motoring in France

Motoring in France

Old Jan 17th 2005, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Mike Scragg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Motoring in France

In couple of years, I'm going to be at the age where it will be difficult to hire a car in France. My idea is to buy car in France and garage it with a friend who has a property over there used only by family.

Any advice re insurance, can I use my UK address ? Can I avoid my friend being involved in the procedure ?

Mike
Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Michael E will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Motoring in France

Originally Posted by Mike Scragg
In couple of years, I'm going to be at the age where it will be difficult to hire a car in France. My idea is to buy car in France and garage it with a friend who has a property over there used only by family.

Any advice re insurance, can I use my UK address ? Can I avoid my friend being involved in the procedure ?

Mike
Almost impossible to insure it via UK - Just go to a french insurance co (AXA are the most expensive and not too user friendly) and use your friends address but not his permission or involvement - the rates seem similar to UK and you can have fully comp or 3rd party - If it is off the road - in a garage then they will issue a greatly reduced rate - I now use MAAF but I am sure others are good too.
You will be caught for Road tax and to register it in your name you need again to use a french address but this will not involve your friend except that the letters will arrive via his address...
Old Mar 22nd 2005, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Michael E
Almost impossible to insure it via UK - Just go to a french insurance co (AXA are the most expensive and not too user friendly) and use your friends address but not his permission or involvement - the rates seem similar to UK and you can have fully comp or 3rd party - If it is off the road - in a garage then they will issue a greatly reduced rate - I now use MAAF but I am sure others are good too.
You will be caught for Road tax and to register it in your name you need again to use a french address but this will not involve your friend except that the letters will arrive via his address...

MAIF are way better but you cant even get a quote unless you already know a member

to insure a house is like 90% cheaper than the uk and thats house and internals!! cars are 50-60% cheaper, and they are good very!! here they insure cars the UK insurance refuses and trust me i asked b4!!! a 306 S16 unrestriced UK insurance wont even qoute!! in france is ok, and anyone with a full licence insurance or not can drive it!!!
Old Mar 27th 2005, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

insurance i forgot

a word of advise;

if you are cancelling any UK insurance to take out insurance in france, please MAKE THEM LIST NO-CLAIMS as YEARS not percentage!!!

I had 60% no claims protected that translated into ............. nothing!

So i lost out and lovely direct........... you know them? said they have no way to type 8yrs and not 60% you imagine what they got told?
Old Apr 21st 2005, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

mpprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant futurempprh has a brilliant future

Hi

just a minor irritation :

Before I had a permanent address in France, I used a relatives address to register a car. I got income tax returns from their local tax office for three years !

Peter
Old Apr 22nd 2005, 7:12 am
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all
Wink Re: Motoring in France

Try and get your UK insurers to give you a certificate/statement saying the "years that you had no accidents" rather "no claim discount years" if you can. I tried to get insured as an additional driver on my sister-in-law's car but the monkeys at Matmut said "you have X yrs NCD" meant I hadn't claimed the discount I was entitled to for X number of years

Groupama had no problem with exactly the same certificates and everything went smoothly although they are more expensive. Now I'm on my mother-in-laws car and even got my UK banger insured without any problems too.

Also I believe french road tax doesn't exist any more - according to my father-in-law (?).
Old Apr 26th 2005, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by proo
Try and get your UK insurers to give you a certificate/statement saying the "years that you had no accidents" rather "no claim discount years" if you can. I tried to get insured as an additional driver on my sister-in-law's car but the monkeys at Matmut said "you have X yrs NCD" meant I hadn't claimed the discount I was entitled to for X number of years

Groupama had no problem with exactly the same certificates and everything went smoothly although they are more expensive. Now I'm on my mother-in-laws car and even got my UK banger insured without any problems too.

Also I believe french road tax doesn't exist any more - according to my father-in-law (?).
YEP no road tax in france for the last 5 years ))))))))

your are so correct that YEARS not NCD is the important factor.

also you be may be shocked at the price for a midrange 1.9d (higher than uk) then shocked again at a 3.0 unrestricted sports....... like errrrr (no way uk will insure, france no probs)