Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

motorcycle carte grise replacement

motorcycle carte grise replacement

Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

phate316 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default motorcycle carte grise replacement

im in the process of buying a motorcycle from a family who lived in france and have now come back to the uk, the bike was purchased 12 months ago, second hand, and the family sent off the carte grise but didnt recieve the new one in the new owners name, can anyone tell me how to obtain a new carte grise in my name and then get it plated in the uk for use??, the bikes a great bargin as the family cant be doing with the hastle of reregistering it in the uk themselves.

any help would be fantastic

thanks

tim
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:57 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: motorcycle carte grise replacement

Originally Posted by phate316
im in the process of buying a motorcycle from a family who lived in france and have now come back to the uk, the bike was purchased 12 months ago, second hand, and the family sent off the carte grise but didnt recieve the new one in the new owners name, can anyone tell me how to obtain a new carte grise in my name and then get it plated in the uk for use??, the bikes a great bargin as the family cant be doing with the hastle of reregistering it in the uk themselves.

thanks

tim
You will need to go to your local Prefecture or Sous Prefecture for the Carte Grise im not sure what form it is. As for importing it to the UK you will need to get an Export certificate here in France for the UK Authorities not sure what happens about the lack of CT/MOT in the UK but it will need a MOT in the UK.
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:45 pm
Just Joined

is there any way of doing it from uk as im not a resident of france, i think its going to be a bad buy if this is the only way to do it.

thanks for the help and any further info

tim
Old Nov 30th 2010, 5:56 pm

is there any way of doing it from uk as im not a resident of france, i think its going to be a bad buy if this is the only way to do it.

thanks for the help and any further info

tim
As I see it you would need to supply a French Address to get the Carte Grise, Then you can go through the Export process. I don't know if it can be done online, But that sounds to easy for here.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 8:26 pm
Just Joined

dont suppose ur up for a few quid to register it at your address then expot it to me??
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:37 pm

dont suppose ur up for a few quid to register it at your address then expot it to me??

Sorry but im working off my last act of indiscretion , So I remain only responsible for my actions for the time being.
Old Dec 4th 2010, 9:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

thanks

tim
Buying a motorcycle (or any s/h vehicle come to that) without having seen the original carte grise is exceedingly risky imho.
If it were me I would sit this one out, unless the motorcycle was a very rare model indeed - which I somehow doubt.
Old Dec 11th 2010, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

French address or not prefectures will not normally issue a replacement Carte Grise to a 3rd party because there is no proof of ownership so in nearly all cases it will have to be the currently registered owner who has to apply for it using this form. https://www.formulaires.modernisatio...fa_13753_01.do

Hopefully this will be the present seller however the question of why he did not receive the Carte Grise needs to be considered. Did it simply get lost in the post or was there perhaps something wrong with his paperwork when he applied which prevented it being processed but was never communicated to him ?

Only once the registered owner has the Carte Grise and properly signs it, completes the Certificate de Cessation http://www.carte-grise.org/docs/cerf...4-editable.pdf and provides the Certificat de situation administrative (non gage) http://www.carte-grise.org/certifica...nistrative.htm can you yourself apply for a Carte Grise. For that you will of course be required to provide a bona fide French address.

Is the bike looking such a bargain now ?

IF you still go ahead and manage to overcome all that and end up with a Carte Grise then in reality you don't need to do anything to export it from France. You don't need an export certificate, any more than you need one to take bring a from UK to France, just take it to UK and put it through the registration process with DVLA. They produce a pack specially for importing vehicles http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/forms/onl...ing_packs.aspx.