Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Most British Expats?

Most British Expats?

Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Most British Expats?

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
You can work from anywhere in the world, but you are subject to the fiscal law of the country you are physically residing in when you do the work and earn the money. If you want to convince your hubbie to move to the UK and not to France, just demonstrate to him how much of your joint income will vanish in cotisations and business taxes if you live and work in France (about half of it) versus how much will vanish in NICs and business taxes if you live and work in the UK (maybe about a tenth of it). I think you may have a pretty good chance of persuading him
Thanks for the tip
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 5:21 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly Beachgal, I think your best bet would be to swap lives with a French couple. There must at least a million who would rather live in Florida than in France!
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
Honestly Beachgal, I think your best bet would be to swap lives with a French couple. There must at least a million who would rather live in Florida than in France!
Do you mean including the respective partners in the swap? Would certainly ease the transition, not the least for learning French!
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:26 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beachgal21
I'd be happy to settle back in the UK but hubby not so much, and yes I agree we'd need to visit first. I was thinking maybe spend 6 months over there exploring and travelling round to find a suitable location. Fortunately work isn't an issue for either of us, we both work for ourselves and our work is done via the computer so we can work from anywhere in the world.

Ideally a semi rural location with good access to the coast, perhaps an hours drive, also access to an airport so that friends and family can come to visit and of course somewhere where there are other British expats. Any suggestions of suitable areas would be welcome.
You can work from anywhere in the world, but you are subject to the fiscal law of the country you are physically residing in when you do the work and earn the money. If you want to convince your hubbie to move to the UK and not to France, just demonstrate to him how much of your joint income will vanish in cotisations and business taxes if you live and work in France (about half of it) versus how much will vanish in NICs and business taxes if you live and work in the UK (maybe about a tenth of it). I think you may have a pretty good chance of persuading him
As I said employment is a big factor when living here, France is probably the most expensive place in Europe to be self employed and it's pretty complicated I know a few English folk that have basically gone bust when the tax bill comes in as it's not uncommon to be over quoted for tax which you then have to pay whilst waiting for reassessment for the proper figure.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
France is probably the most expensive place in Europe to be self employed
In the league tables of the most business-friendly countries, the UK invariably comes way way ahead of France. On the table below, when it comes to burden of taxes the UK is at number 14 and France is at number 52.
http://www.doingbusiness.org/rankings
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 12:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
They're welcome to Florida .... it's not all sun, sand and orange juice you know
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

miss limousin is an unknown quantity at this point

Be VERY careful if you buy in France who your neighbours are. I wanted neighbours because I am alone, and thought it would be nice to have people around to say hello to, and exchange a few words. I have one very friendly neighbour, but have ended up with the devil incarnate for another neighbour, who has cost me dearly in both money and loss of peace of mind with his access blocking tactics and constant petty complaints to his friends in the Mairie, who of course are always on his side. I now have to sell up to save my sanity.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 1:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

OK the job situation is cr@p and people are taxed up the YingYang .... so what's the attraction of moving to France?
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

OK the job situation is cr@p and people are taxed up the YingYang .... so what's the attraction of moving to France?
Shouldn't you be asking your husband

I guess we all have our own personal reasons for being here, that outweigh the negatives. Otherwise we wouldn't be here.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by miss limousin
Be VERY careful if you buy in France who your neighbours are. I wanted neighbours because I am alone, and thought it would be nice to have people around to say hello to, and exchange a few words. I have one very friendly neighbour, but have ended up with the devil incarnate for another neighbour, who has cost me dearly in both money and loss of peace of mind with his access blocking tactics and constant petty complaints to his friends in the Mairie, who of course are always on his side. I now have to sell up to save my sanity.
I'm sorry to hear you're having problems with your neighbors, but surely you run the same risk wherever you live. Our neighbors to the one side of us hardly ever speak to us, in fact they totally ignore us unless we speak to them. For someone sociable like me who speaks to absolutely anyone, it makes things very uncomfortable. I hope your next move is a success and that you find you perfect, happy place As for us, we would want a detached house, not miles from anywhere, but not with any really close neighbors either. Where we live right now, the houses stand shoulder to shoulder .... talk about feeling claustrophobic
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Shouldn't you be asking your husband

I guess we all have our own personal reasons for being here, that outweigh the negatives. Otherwise we wouldn't be here.
I already know his reasons My previous comment was somewhat tongue in cheek prompted by all the negativity. However, I realise you're all just trying to point out that it's not exactly Shangrila and I thank you for that
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 2:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I already know his reasons My previous comment was somewhat tongue in cheek prompted by all the negativity. However, I realise you're all just trying to point out that it's not exactly Shangrila and I thank you for that
Just tryin' to be helpful - you seemed to be looking for arguments in favour of the UK, so just pointing out that you don't have to look far because for anybody who is going to be running a business the economic arguments have to come into the equation.

Of course the UK isn't Shangrila either. And you say that even Florida isn't... so where is?
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 2:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Of course the UK isn't Shangrila either. And you say that even Florida isn't...
Not here. Another 5 cm of snow overnight to add to the metre or so that's been on the ground since mid-December.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 2:10 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I guess a lot of us moved to France some years ago when, if not Shangri-La, it was a bloody sight better than the UK. Years of recession from which France seems incapable of escaping and an increasing cost of living which many expats find difficult to finance makes for a degree of negativity.

If you move here eyes-open to the reality then I guess you can still make a go of it. For my part, I've had enough and will leave la not-so-dolce vita for new horizons with the little money Hollande has not yet taken from me.
Old Mar 2nd 2014, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

I guess home is where the heart is .... or so the saying goes

I think I'll have to work on hubby a bit more ... truth be told I can't see me wanting to settle anywhere except Britain. Maybe I can persuade him to settle for a holiday home in France

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.