Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Money transfers?

Money transfers?

Old Feb 21st 2009, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of
Lightbulb Money transfers?

Hi everyone, just a quick question: has anyone here had experience of using money transfer companies, rather than banks, for moving money from the UK to France? Are there any advantages to this? I was recommended a money transfer company by an estate agent in the UK who called me here in Sweden and offered to do this for me once I had opened an account with them. Apparently there are no charges for this service so I'm wondering where's the catch?

I am a British national and though I work at the moment in Sweden, I have bank accounts etc. in the UK and all this is legal and above board. I just wondered whether anyone on these helpful threads has had any experience of this or should I stick with the bank doing this transfer for me?

Appreciate any thoughts on this since it does represent my life's savings!
Thanks
Blackie
Old Feb 21st 2009, 4:26 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Money transfers?

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Hi everyone, just a quick question: has anyone here had experience of using money transfer companies, rather than banks, for moving money from the UK to France? Are there any advantages to this? I was recommended a money transfer company by an estate agent in the UK who called me here in Sweden and offered to do this for me once I had opened an account with them. Apparently there are no charges for this service so I'm wondering where's the catch?

I am a British national and though I work at the moment in Sweden, I have bank accounts etc. in the UK and all this is legal and above board. I just wondered whether anyone on these helpful threads has had any experience of this or should I stick with the bank doing this transfer for me?

Appreciate any thoughts on this since it does represent my life's savings!
Thanks
Blackie
Check out the HiFX section of the Forum it's Right HERE
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:37 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Blackie!

I have opened an account with HiFX - did it about 2 weeks ago, you don't have to commit to anything, I have just opened it ready to take advantage of any blip in the euroound rate, and when the exchange rate would enable me to get the money to buy whichever property we choose, I would then just do it. Some companies although they say there are no charges, actually give you quite a poor rate, ie they say no charge, and no commission BUT if the actual rate is 1.12, they only give you 1.07. HiFX did assure me they are always within 1% of the actual rate, ie, if the daily rate that day is 1.13, they guarantee to give 1.12, so I chose them.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:39 pm
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry for sticky out tongue - hit something by mistake whilst "going for a p"
Old Feb 21st 2009, 5:40 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Sorry for sticky out tongue - hit something by mistake whilst "going for a p"
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Cleri
Would you like one?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:58 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Don't just go for HiFx simply 'cos they advertise here, there are others and if you shop around quoting rates from one to the other you'll often get a better deal. We did.
Old Feb 21st 2009, 8:58 pm

Cleri is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
A pee or a tongue?
Old Feb 21st 2009, 9:58 pm

Originally Posted by Cleri
A pee or a tongue?
If you pay me enough, Either. Double it and both

Tongue silly........
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Mitichal is an unknown quantity at this point

There was one company (can't remember which; when I find out I will post it on a reply) which offered a good rate, BUT wanted 5000€ as a deposit which would be returned at the 'end' ... so we didn't take them up on it. They were rather vague about the length of term, so check out all the conditions if something sounds too good to be true .... which means it probably is!
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 11:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi Mitichal,
thanks for the reply, you're right about things being 'too good to be true', does the name Excel ring a bell?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of people use Hi-fx and I'm probably going to go with them should the euro plummet and the pound strengthen as a result. There's another company that has a good reputation like hi-fx but I forget the name now. There's a few about, but everytime I looked into it, this seems to be the one people generally use. I wouldn't go with the banks, I think you'd get a crappy rate.

For anyone who has used hi-fx, can I ask how the process works. Do you sign a contract and hand over your bank account details so that they can initiate the transfer as soon as the rates reach the amount you want to transact at? (assuming they ever do reach the desired rate of course!). Do the French banks try and sting you at the other end when the money goes through to your French account?
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 5:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

I use Hargreaves Lansdowne.

It's done on the phone using my visa debit card

I think I may have had to sign something- I can't remember now, but they asked for a deposit of £1000

They were happy to match FOREX who advertised on this site at the time.

From time to time they have special offers for smaller ammounts (no charge)

When I'm in France . I use my NATIONWIDE card in a Bank Cash Machine (hole in the wall) -about £400 a day.

No hassle but the drawback could be that the rate could change each day you transfer the money.

but for small amounts ,you could be paying £20 fees.

From the comments on this site , NATIONWIDE flex account is probably the best to use.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 10:20 am
Forum Regular

hitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nicehitchw is just really nice

the company i always use is RationalFX, have put lots of people their way and they all say the rates they offer are better than any other companies. whenever i have been quoted better elsewhere they have always managed to beat the rates. had to send some money to spain today, just traded with them, got 1.135 when the online rate was 1.141.... got quoted elsewhere at 1.128, 1.13, and finally 1.131... and those were the "big companies" everyone else raves about... All in all, smaller company, lower overheads, better rates in my opinion. if you want my contacts details let me know.
good luck
will
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting stuff, I will have to bookmark this page for future reference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.