Mobile Broadband

Mobile Broadband

Old Jan 5th 2011, 3:13 pm
Just Joined

Wotsits is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile Broadband

Afternoon all,

I hope you can help.

My parents are currently building a house just outside Condom in the south of France and are backwards and forwards to France for 2/3 weeks at a time. My mother needs access to the internet while in France and gets a fast yet expensive (£40/month bolt-on) service from her UK T-Mobile dongle working on the French Orange network. Only problem is that her usage is limited to 250mb per month which is a pittance.

Price in mind, have the French yet launched any pay-as-you-go mobile broadband services? Could anyone provide details? Having looked around, I can't quite figure out what the deal is with the Orange "Coffret Clé 3G+ Internet partout" with my limited grasp of French combined with the poor performance of Google Translate.

http://boutique.orange.fr/ESHOP_mx_o...ee_appel=ORESH

I'd appreciate your input.

Thanks,
Simon
Old Jan 7th 2011, 9:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mobile Broadband

Originally Posted by Wotsits
Afternoon all,

I hope you can help.

My parents are currently building a house just outside Condom in the south of France and are backwards and forwards to France for 2/3 weeks at a time. My mother needs access to the internet while in France and gets a fast yet expensive (£40/month bolt-on) service from her UK T-Mobile dongle working on the French Orange network. Only problem is that her usage is limited to 250mb per month which is a pittance.

Price in mind, have the French yet launched any pay-as-you-go mobile broadband services? Could anyone provide details? Having looked around, I can't quite figure out what the deal is with the Orange "Coffret Clé 3G+ Internet partout" with my limited grasp of French combined with the poor performance of Google Translate.

Thanks,
Simon
I use that 3G+ dongle when I'm in France for the months od July&August each year.

It's fast enough and there are no download limits, but it's eye-watering expensive at about 3 euro per hour of connection time.
Old Jan 8th 2011, 10:30 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Afternoon all,

I hope you can help.

Thanks,
Simon
Welcome to the Forum....

£40 sounds a bit expensive, I pay 10 euros a month for 250 Mb per month for my iPad which surprisingly is ample for email checking and odds and sods surfing when im out and about and and any bandwidth not used gets carried over to the next month.

The product you linked to the dongle bit works I have one for my lappie, But you appear to only get one day of unlimited surfing and then it has to be topped/charged up. It can be done from the dongle plugged in even if you have no credit left, It will allow you to connect pay by card and then surf.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jan 8th 2011 at 10:33 am.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 3:36 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

If you go down a French dongle route check you can get 3G coverage in your areas. I'm using 02 in UK at the mo at 1GB month, but only getting EDGE or GPRS, so connection is iffy and makil access slow.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 6:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cjm
If you go down a French dongle route check you can get 3G coverage in your areas. I'm using 02 in UK at the mo at 1GB month, but only getting EDGE or GPRS, so connection is iffy and makil access slow.
Hi all,

Thanks for your responses so far. I'm looking for something with a little more capacity than 250mb. We had 250mb with Orange UK on a roaming bundle for £40 which lasted a week. Im not entirely sure what my mother was doing with her laptop during that time but I think there was a few Skype text convos, one attempt at a Skype voice convo (less than a minute) me surfing facebook and rather unusually Bebo, a few hours of the laptop just left idling (come to think about it, it may have been downloading all manner of updates during that time) and that's about it. 250mb didn't seem an awful lot!

Any PAYG dongles without such a measly limit and without the 3EUR per day price tag. We're looking for something in between 250mb and unlimited. 1GB would be great but obviously in France and on PAYG.

CLM, 3G connection is surprisingly incredibly good where my parents are - in fact it seems better than mine in the UK... SHOCK HORROR!
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Any PAYG dongles without such a measly limit and without the 3EUR per day price tag. We're looking for something in between 250mb and unlimited. 1GB would be great but obviously in France and on PAYG.

CLM, 3G connection is surprisingly incredibly good where my parents are - in fact it seems better than mine in the UK... SHOCK HORROR!
Read my post again. It's 3 euros per hour of connect time.
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Read my post again. It's 3 euros per hour of connect time.
Ahha! As if to exemplify my point regarding price! Thanks Novocastrian.

Seriously, is there nothing else out there?? Have the French not yet jumped on the mobile broadband bandwagon? Paris for example is a extremely cosmopolitan city & I'm sure other French cities have a similar demand for mobile connectivity. Have French telecomms providers just not bothered yet?!

I'm sensing a gap in the market and business opportunity... Anyone up for taking on Orange?!?!?!
Old Jan 12th 2011, 10:16 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Ahha! As if to exemplify my point regarding price! Thanks Novocastrian.

Seriously, is there nothing else out there?? Have the French not yet jumped on the mobile broadband bandwagon? Paris for example is a extremely cosmopolitan city & I'm sure other French cities have a similar demand for mobile connectivity. Have French telecomms providers just not bothered yet?!

I'm sensing a gap in the market and business opportunity... Anyone up for taking on Orange?!?!?!
The connectivity is there, It costs you only have to look at the origami fortaits on Orange Yes Unlimited but at a horrible price. I would look and see if there is WiMax in the area as a lot of departments have this on some scale now and it is being rolled out in other places. As an alternative to upgrading the copper networks. France's wide open spaces work against it in the digital race, And now you can get two way satellite internet for the same price pretty much as normal broadband.