marmite

Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

rtsmith0810 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink marmite

went to vire, lower normandy 2 weeks agoto have a good look round and droped in at carrefour supermarket and they had a small self of english food including tins of beans ,english tea and marmite yes sombody knows iam coming. now can anybody tell me, is it possable to roast chesnuts on a wood burner ,i have not had a good roast chestnut since the 1970s gas fires no good for them.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 3:59 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: marmite

Originally Posted by rtsmith0810
went to vire, lower normandy 2 weeks agoto have a good look round and droped in at carrefour supermarket and they had a small self of english food including tins of beans ,english tea and marmite yes sombody knows iam coming. now can anybody tell me, is it possable to roast chesnuts on a wood burner ,i have not had a good roast chestnut since the 1970s gas fires no good for them.
You can buy roasting tin for chestnuts in France Drum like things with a door that go in the fire.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rtsmith0810
Our local Champion also has a English section - usually stuff for sale such as Hobnobs, Bird's custard powder, curry sauces
You can also buy roast chestnuts at some of the markets around here in winter, the smell certainly brings back lots of childhood memories.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 4:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I was in Carrefour for the first time last Saturday. 2,50 euros for an imported can of Heinz Baked Beans. Needless to say I'm sticking with French food.
Old Apr 14th 2008, 5:12 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

You can pick up special chestnut roasters in most homeware sections of the bigger supermarkets. They look like frying pans with holes in, make sure you get one with a fitted lid. They sit on top of the woodburners and take about 15 minutes depending, of course, on how hot your stove is!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G-J-B
I was in Carrefour for the first time last Saturday. 2,50 euros for an imported can of Heinz Baked Beans. Needless to say I'm sticking with French food.
That's Paris prices for you. I think they cost 1,50 € in my local Super U, but I never buy them. French baked beans do exist - very cheap, with much less sugar in the sauce. Bon appétit!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I'm eating much more healthily whilst in France, although my girlfriend is vegeterian and used to work in the Eiffel Tower restaurant (I think that place brings back bad memories for her!).
It is possible to eat well, and cheap in Paris. I had fresh fish for 1 euro (very tasty too!), spinach and potatoes - no more than 2 euros for my meal. It was strange to be in Carrefour and seeing a large tank with live crayfish in the fruits de la mer section. I can't imagine getting that in Tesco's!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 9:10 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

yes, I've managed to roast chestnuts on a wood burner