Reload this Page >

Living and Learning

Living and Learning

Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:12 am
Just Joined

niallamo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Living and Learning

Bonjour!

I'm new to the site and have been reading through a few threads. I'm currently learning how to speak French, I can speak the basics and could probably get by on a holiday but I have a plan.
For a while now, I've been saving money to travel - I plan to go to somewhere in France for 3 months to work (if possible) and learn the language.

I am considering whether to send some letters out to hotels, farms and general business' (where language isn't a major issue) to see whether they could offer me accommodation in exchange for some very cheap labour.
I just wanted to know whether anybody had done this before? Is it a good idea? If not - Can anybody suggest an alternative to me?
I guess ultimately I can afford to live for 3 months without having to work, but I'd really like to as it would throw me in at the deep as it were!

Thanks
x
Old Jul 14th 2011, 6:57 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living and Learning

Quite an early morning post! Others will also welcome you to the forum. Those with wider knowledge than me will also be able to advise. But, you may have picked up from other posts that employment in France is not that good. Seasonal employment, which is now through to August, offers some opportunities, but as holiday facilities are well into things, it would, I suspect, be difficult. As to a deal re 'cheap' labour set against a bed and board I'm not terribly optimistic for you. I have not searched (no need) but are there not employment sites that may offer something?
As I said, others will be able to advise. But stick with the forum; it's sound.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:19 am
Banned

Triumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by niallamo
Bonjour!

I'm new to the site and have been reading through a few threads. I'm currently learning how to speak French, I can speak the basics and could probably get by on a holiday but I have a plan.
For a while now, I've been saving money to travel - I plan to go to somewhere in France for 3 months to work (if possible) and learn the language.

I am considering whether to send some letters out to hotels, farms and general business' (where language isn't a major issue) to see whether they could offer me accommodation in exchange for some very cheap labour.
I just wanted to know whether anybody had done this before? Is it a good idea? If not - Can anybody suggest an alternative to me?
I guess ultimately I can afford to live for 3 months without having to work, but I'd really like to as it would throw me in at the deep as it were!

Thanks
x
Hi niallamo,

Somebody posted this link not so long ago which I think would be of interest to you, as I have similar thoughts to your idea!

http://www.helpx.net/hostlist.asp?ho...=328&network=3
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi CJM & Triumph3,

Thanks so much for the reply both of you. The volunteer trip looks like an ideal opportunity! Unfortunately due to TV contracts I can't leave the UK until March next year! I hope they have something similar then.
I am at the moment planning ahead, it also gives me that bit of extra time to save up more money I guess just in case. Would you say that the holiday season would be just about to kick off in March 2012? Maybe an ideal time to go.
And finally... Do you think this is a good idea - I mean just going straight into France with only the basics. I am that passionate to learn and many people have said - the best way to learn is to actually go there!

x
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:49 pm
Banned

Triumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud ofTriumph3 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by niallamo
Hi CJM & Triumph3,

Thanks so much for the reply both of you. The volunteer trip looks like an ideal opportunity! Unfortunately due to TV contracts I can't leave the UK until March next year! I hope they have something similar then.
I am at the moment planning ahead, it also gives me that bit of extra time to save up more money I guess just in case. Would you say that the holiday season would be just about to kick off in March 2012? Maybe an ideal time to go.
And finally... Do you think this is a good idea - I mean just going straight into France with only the basics. I am that passionate to learn and many people have said - the best way to learn is to actually go there!

x
I'm sure the volunteering site will still be going next year

I'd learn as much as you can in the meantime but yes, I'd say the best way to learn is to go there (but not if you're going to sit in house full of English speakers watching Sky TV).

Just make sure you've enough money to get yourself back if need be.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 1:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumph3
I'm sure the volunteering site will still be going next year

I'd learn as much as you can in the meantime but yes, I'd say the best way to learn is to go there (but not if you're going to sit in house full of English speakers watching Sky TV).

Just make sure you've enough money to get yourself back if need be.
Yes go to classes - you can try local colleges or an Alliance Française if there is one local.
You need to have contact with french people when you are in France.
The best way is either to study or to work in France when you will be exposed to the language on a daily basis. If you just arrive and don't have such contact then you will struggle to develop your language skills.
The french news is broadcast daily in the uk on TV5 which is available on cable or Sky. You can also get some programs streamed to your computer.

Good luck
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:16 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Triumph3
Hi niallamo,

Somebody posted this link not so long ago which I think would be of interest to you, as I have similar thoughts to your idea!

http://www.helpx.net/hostlist.asp?ho...=328&network=3
Hi, there's a similar organisation called Wwoof that you could google.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 2:56 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, there's a similar organisation called Wwoof that you could google.
Well dmu, didn't know you were a 'woofer' fan - working weekends on organic farms. Small world. It's many many years since I had contact, some 30 or so as I recall. Had no idea the concept had moved to France, it was a sidebar to organic farmers and growers in the UK when I was involved with organics.

As to the start of the holiday season niallamo, my thoughts are to research those areas where tourism is high in July and August. July 1 the world descends on my local beaches, French, Brits, Dutch and Germans, in no special order.

A beach cafe/cafeteria I use, employs several extra waiter/waitresses at this time of year as food and refreshments can be non-stop. Today being Bastille Day it was busier than normal. Plenty of camp sites also, chalets etc., and that may be something to consider.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:13 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Well dmu, didn't know you were a 'woofer' fan -
I'm not a woofer fan, in that I've never done work through it! My daughter did a stint in Portugal earlier this year, but it wasn't an excessively happy experience. The German (!!) couple virtually ignored her (and she's fluent in German!) but at least she improved her Portuguese with a likewise unhappy Portuguese coworker...

Last edited by dmu; Jul 14th 2011 at 3:18 pm.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 4:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

I think all of these things are rather pot luck... you take your chance and if lucky the experience is good,if not it can be dreadful... from both sides!
Old Jul 15th 2011, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
I think all of these things are rather pot luck... you take your chance and if lucky the experience is good,if not it can be dreadful... from both sides!
I agree!

Thank you all for the kind words of advice - No doubt I shall I report back after the trip when it comes around. For now, I will just be visiting Paris for a week to see some sites and try out a bit of the lingo! I think this is an ideal way to begin the journey, almost like a trial period just to see how I get on with the initial basics!

x
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:24 am
loving life

abbytuttut will become famous soon enoughabbytuttut will become famous soon enough

Hi,

with regard to the helpx site, if you join you can also advertise for companions so that you are not going alone. If you are not going travelling for a while, now would be a good time to contact some of the companions and get to know them before you commit. I know people who have corresponded and met up prior to visiting other countries together.
Also on helpx you can commit to staying at the hosts property for as little or long as you and they agree upon.
if you decide to join it might be worth doing a week at a host house nearer to home to see if you get on with it ?

good luck
abbs x