Living costs (again sorry!)

Living costs (again sorry!)

Old Jan 21st 2011, 7:10 am
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Living costs (again sorry!)

Originally Posted by racaille
PACA is Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur.
Ahhh of course - never seen it written like that but obvious now you have told me! Yes unfortunately our budget doest' stretch to your part of the world and not sure I could cope with the summer traffic either (I did some work on some campsites down there one year).

DMU it was the same in Aude - lidl was far cheaper for me than the markets for a lot of things, not mentioning the effort of dragging small kids around in scorching summer weather or freezing cold in the outdoors market I intend to mend my ways and make more use of markets adn find the ones that are good value genuine local ones if they exist in Brittany!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

racaille is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dmu
Not in my neck of the woods! We've got a cooperative 8 km away - most of the fruit and veg comes from elsewhere and the prices are the same as everywhere else. Very little of the veg. sold at the nearest weekly market (5 km) is really local, and there are no roadside stalls. Strangely enough for a rural area there isn't much choice and since my attempts at growing my own were hopeless, I go to a self-service greengrocers which is cheap and has a quick turnover, and you can pick and choose, like in a market.
You're lucky in the Vaucluse!
Crumbs, I had no idea they weren't everywhere! But I suppose, if I think about it, a lot of the fruit and veg is grown down here.....

Clothmama, it's only the Riviera that gets really choked with traffic. We get tourists around here of course but it's too rural to get really busy, as long as you avoid the main tourist traps such as Gordes, Lourmarin, Bonnieux etc.

And just to be clear - I couldn't afford to buy here either now! We were lucky to get an unloved house cheap years and years ago!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

clothmama will become famous soon enough

Clothmama, it's only the Riviera that gets really choked with traffic. We get tourists around here of course but it's too rural to get really busy, as long as you avoid the main tourist traps such as Gordes, Lourmarin, Bonnieux etc.
Ahh see that sounds quite nice! Close to all the happenings but in the countryside (my idea of just right!). Sounds like the Carol Drinkwater (is theat her name?) type thing going on! I still get cross when I think of the apartment my dh was offered years ago in Nice, nice area for £30,000 equivalent! It was before I met him but my oh my we would be very well off now if he had bought it!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Hi again clothmama, re:food prices, I don't think anything has gone up more than the rate of inflation (whatever that is!) over the last 2-3 years, it is just that I notice flour prices because I too have a bread machine, I am addicted to white toast, but it must be home-made bread! I have worn out two bread machines since we arrived, my last, expensive one was made redundant when I priced up a new bucket for it, as the non-stick was so worn I couldn't coax the loaf out, and was quoted £50 + for the new part . So I bought one at a brocante for €10 and it works beautifully.

As has been said, you can live well on not much money if you shop around and are creative. With four children, we have to! I do find that prices vary a lot between shops, and am thankful that we have plenty of "hard discount" shops around here!
Old Jan 21st 2011, 5:08 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
the rate of inflation (whatever that is!) over the last 2-3 years
I checked as a matter of interest:
- 2008, 2.8%
- 2009, 0.1%
- 2010, +/- 1.6% (official figures not yet issued)

which isn't high, but the ever-increasing price of petrol and all services (electricity, gas, insurance,...) doesn't seem to follow!