Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Lily of the Valley

Lily of the Valley

Old May 8th 2016, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Lily of the Valley

Reminiscing down at the Mairie this morning, two of us (both in our 60s) remember being taught that Lily of the Valley has some special significance in France. I know it is a sort of good wishes thing, but can anyone enlighten me further?
Old May 8th 2016, 9:38 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lily of the Valley

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Reminiscing down at the Mairie this morning, two of us (both in our 60s) remember being taught that Lily of the Valley has some special significance in France. I know it is a sort of good wishes thing, but can anyone enlighten me further?
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muguet...uet_du_1er_mai

explains all, if you want details! I've always simply accepted that giving a "good luck" sprig of Muguet on 1st May is a tradition. OH used to give some to his staff (the next day, of course!). The climate's not right to grow it in our area, otherwise I'd have a garden-full!
Old May 8th 2016, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks dmu. I did know that, but I think (possibly wrongly) that there is a greater significance. Perhaps only in one area? From the depths of memory for some reason I associate with Joan of Arc, who was known as the lily maid.
Old May 8th 2016, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

bobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond reputebobbi2 has a reputation beyond repute

https://visitnormandy.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/lily-of-the-valley-may-day-in-france/
Old May 8th 2016, 11:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
Thanks dmu. I did know that, but I think (possibly wrongly) that there is a greater significance. Perhaps only in one area? From the depths of memory for some reason I associate with Joan of Arc, who was known as the lily maid.
FWIW, the FN who venerate Jeanne d'Arc, had ceremonies at her statues in Paris last Sunday, and Minister Macron is in Orléans today for the 8th May ceremony. I've just remembered a corny joke about her and Noah (the OT one, not the tennis player), but won't inflict it on you...
Old May 8th 2016, 12:02 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bobbi2
https://visitnormandy.wordpress.com/2010/04/26/lily-of-the-valley-may-day-in-france/
LOL, I got worried when I read that Charles IX gave lily-of-the-valley to the ladies of his court (= courtisanes), but hopefully OH comes into the category of those giving some to his (female) staff in token of his professional appreciation...
Old May 8th 2016, 12:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you bobbi.
Old May 8th 2016, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I've just remembered a corny joke about her and Noah (the OT one, not the tennis player), but won't inflict it on you...
As you say that particular Noah joke is a very corny one, but the young kids always love it.

Which reminds me.
Sean Connery gets a call from his agent one day. The agent says, "Sean, I've got you a job - starts tomorrow, early. You'll have to be there for 10-ish".
Sean furrows his brow and says "Tennish? But I don't even have a racket."