Reload this Page >

Language Courses Paris

Language Courses Paris

Old Jul 1st 2014, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

ajhurley is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Language Courses Paris

Hello there,

I am moving back to Paris (without a job, recently made redundant in London 5 months after returning with same company) and will aim to start looking for a job at the beginning of September (Business Analyst, Business Partner type roles).

However, my French isn't quite there yet. I am B2 (maybe C1 in reading) and was pushing C1 before I left. A level which is fine if I work for some multinationals but that is not why I am returning.

Anyway. I am looking to spend end of July and August (and September if funds permit) doing a language course, to improve as quickly as possible. I have looked at all the usual courses (Alliance (class size too large), Berlitz etc) but if I went with a typical language school, it would probably be Lutece, due to smaller class size (3-7).

I was wondering though are there any alternatives people could recommend that are not as costly or more interesting? I was hoping to find a course in Literature/Arts (more interesting) or through the local Mairie (significantly cheaper, hopefully).

Does anyone have any tips regarding this, or any other ideas over and above the usual language schools?

I would plan on doing conversation exchange in the evenings, as I think the better your level gets, it becomes more and more about practice.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Old Jul 1st 2014, 4:29 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Language Courses Paris

Originally Posted by ajhurley
Hello there,

I am moving back to Paris (without a job, recently made redundant in London 5 months after returning with same company) and will aim to start looking for a job at the beginning of September (Business Analyst, Business Partner type roles).

However, my French isn't quite there yet. I am B2 (maybe C1 in reading) and was pushing C1 before I left. A level which is fine if I work for some multinationals but that is not why I am returning.

Anyway. I am looking to spend end of July and August (and September if funds permit) doing a language course, to improve as quickly as possible. I have looked at all the usual courses (Alliance (class size too large), Berlitz etc) but if I went with a typical language school, it would probably be Lutece, due to smaller class size (3-7).

I was wondering though are there any alternatives people could recommend that are not as costly or more interesting? I was hoping to find a course in Literature/Arts (more interesting) or through the local Mairie (significantly cheaper, hopefully).

Does anyone have any tips regarding this, or any other ideas over and above the usual language schools?

I would plan on doing conversation exchange in the evenings, as I think the better your level gets, it becomes more and more about practice.

Thanks in advance,
Andrew
Hi, can't really help, I'm afraid. I went to the Alliance Française right at the beginning to get my spoken French up to scratch (and meet people!), but the class size was indeed large and full of foreigners who ended up speaking English to one another after class....
You must have a bona fide address (justified by rent receipts/utility bill) before the Mairie of your Arrondissement will register you for any classes going.
Be aware that the unemployment rate is continuously increasing here and you'll face a lot of competition for any jobs going from bilingual French applicants. You may do better to look for "Business French" classes which would include ordinary conversation.
Hope this helps a little!
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 7:41 am
Just Joined

ajhurley is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply.

Yep, well aware it will be more difficult than in London (where I have spent most of my working life) and could easily stay here and have a comfortable life with a lot of friends. My thoughts are I would regret not improving my level of French and whilst I realise this may not work, I should be okay for 7/8 months without a job. To be frank, I need a challenge!

If it doesn't work at the end of 7/8 months, I can always go back to London.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:36 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajhurley
Thanks for your reply.

Yep, well aware it will be more difficult than in London (where I have spent most of my working life) and could easily stay here and have a comfortable life with a lot of friends. My thoughts are I would regret not improving my level of French and whilst I realise this may not work, I should be okay for 7/8 months without a job. To be frank, I need a challenge!

If it doesn't work at the end of 7/8 months, I can always go back to London.
Fair enough! Good luck!