Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Jarnac or Cognac? (or somewhere else)

Jarnac or Cognac? (or somewhere else)

Old Feb 11th 2012, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

xoffie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jarnac or Cognac? (or somewhere else)

Hello,

Im in my 30s and looking to move over to this part of France at some time with my family. I have my own online business and Im assuming that both these towns are well and truly online by now!

Ive noticed that prices (to buy) seem to be better in Jarnac but have heard Cognac is a more interesting place.

We speak some French, as in passable English "French" whereby I can order a return from the station and a loaf of bread.... but not much else. Of course we will learn, but I am hoping to be able to meet some Expats and people our age.

Is Cognac, Jarnac then a bad idea? We love to cycle and go for trips in the car but we also like to make friends and will certainly go for a townhouse/edge of town so don't long for isolation.

Do you think Jarnac/Cognac is suitable or would a couple in their early thirties be better somewhere else?

Thanks so much for advice,

Oh, a second questions, I can find so many property websites, but can't find any options for rentals. We would like to rent for the first 6-12 months to be sure we love a place. Any website links?

Thanks a lot
Old Feb 11th 2012, 5:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jarnac or Cognac? (or somewhere else)

Originally Posted by xoffie
Hello,

Im in my 30s and looking to move over to this part of France at some time with my family. I have my own online business and Im assuming that both these towns are well and truly online by now!

Ive noticed that prices (to buy) seem to be better in Jarnac but have heard Cognac is a more interesting place.

We speak some French, as in passable English "French" whereby I can order a return from the station and a loaf of bread.... but not much else. Of course we will learn, but I am hoping to be able to meet some Expats and people our age.

Is Cognac, Jarnac then a bad idea? We love to cycle and go for trips in the car but we also like to make friends and will certainly go for a townhouse/edge of town so don't long for isolation.

Do you think Jarnac/Cognac is suitable or would a couple in their early thirties be better somewhere else?

Oh, a second questions, I can find so many property websites, but can't find any options for rentals. We would like to rent for the first 6-12 months to be sure we love a place. Any website links?

Thanks a lot
Hi Welcome to the forum

Check on yellow pages http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/
and enter immobilier with Cognac for the location.

It depends on what speed of broadband you expect - the best speeds are in the larger towns. Outside that speeds can be variable.
Why don't you browse thro' the recent posts for "moving to France" threads or do a search [top right corner from France page].
You have to consider costs for running a company in France - depending on turnover and type of company taxation and social contributions can get towards 50% before you get a penny [cent]
You need to consider healthcare provision and schooling.
If you are coming for a 6 month "holiday" and rent somewhere [good idea] then you might get away without forming a company. I don't think that this is quite a legal way to do it but you are on holiday aren't you
During that period you will be covered by the EHIC card for emergencies.

Good luck
Old Feb 11th 2012, 5:16 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Others will also welcome you. Not certain why you are focused on those two places, fine though they are. Sound broadband can be found all over.
Renting is a good idea and you need to put those rose-tinted specs away.
Have a look at Leboncoin, only a bit like eBay. Use Google to translate and choose your area, there is a drop-down menu that offers locations (rentals).
There are many sound sages on this forum, so ask away.
My car insurer was in Cognac, but found better deal more locall in recent times.
Cyrian above is one of those 'sages'.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

xoffie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thanks for the replies so far, I will start looking on Leboncoin and the Yellow Pages for some rental sites.

CJM, I lived and worked in Italy and in Spain for years so I'm not too rose tinted! But I am at the early stages of forming this plan.

I agree Cyrian about the renting, while im learning the language, lay of the land and deciding on the life, is better to trial it first!

Thanks a lot, I have been focused on those places because I was looking for a good climate (and apparently this region has a lot of sunshine hours), Im a big wine and spirits fan and it seems I can buy outright around here compared to some other prices.... but then again, the Languedoc has its appeal to.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 5:47 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Wine buying, no probs, via your local cave or even direct. Spirits, not sure. We have a lot of home made 'trouspinette' (blackthorn) here, that uses eau de vie from the supermarket, plus whatever recipe is handed down within the local families. Gorgeous.
I've got an inquiry in for some now 'illegal' wine from a grape that cannot be mentioned, 'cos it's too strong.
Research is the way. The more you do, the more you can refine. Good luck and keep in touch.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:08 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
I've got an inquiry in for some now 'illegal' wine from a grape that cannot be mentioned, 'cos it's too strong.
Research is the way. The more you do, the more you can refine. Good luck and keep in touch.
I'm intrigued. A hint or a PM would be appreciated.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:10 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm intrigued. A hint or a PM would be appreciated.
Rhymes with Ark; cryptic.
Old Feb 11th 2012, 7:20 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Rhymes with Ark; cryptic.
Grenache? I know you can in principle get to about 17% alcohol.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi xoffie,

Given the choice, I would opt for Jarnac. We have a house in Rougnac, which is abt 45 min from Jarnac, but our property finder was based in Jarnac and with his help we set up bank accounts and so on in Jarnac. It's smaller than Cognac, but in the summer Cognac becomes absolutely packed with tourists, not a chance to find even a moped parking space. Prices are usually higher in Cognac as well. There is some lovely scenery in and around Jarnac, whereas Cognac, being further west, is in flatter, less attractive countryside. Further out from Jarnac there are lovely little villages such as St Meme les Carrieres (which was one of the quarries where the stone for the Statue of Liberty was quarried), and there you are out in beautiful vinyards and sunflower fields. A bit pricey tho'. Further east, towards where we are, prices come down quite a bit.
Blackie
Old Feb 12th 2012, 10:25 pm
Born again atheist

Hi Blackladder,

I think I mentioned somewhere that one of the first places we looked was Charente Maritimes. We visited Cognac and agree that it swarms with tourists in the summer. Not for us. We also spent maybe a night near Jarnac, but the place which surprised us was Saintes further west.

We'd never been there before and were impressed with the city's beauty (architecturally speaking). It was a bit like a more manageable Paris. It's not exactly on your doorstep but do you go there at all?
Old Feb 13th 2012, 2:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Hi Novo,
Yep, we've been to Saintes a couple of times - really lovely! The Arc de Triomphe there is genuine - not one of those gimcrack efforts like in Paris, it was built by the Roman general Germanicus, who never became emperor, but his son Caligula did - and we all know what happened to him.

Anyway, Saintes is, as you say, a really beautiful town - better than either Cognac or Jarnac - but the surrounding countryside is a bit flat and featureless. I would have thought that spring or autumn would be good there, 'cos it does get packed as well in July-August. Along the Charente there are some great picnic spots, but we haven't stayed at any hotels or eaten there, so I'm afraid we can't help on that score.
Blackie
Old Feb 13th 2012, 5:08 pm
Born again atheist

Thanks Blackie,

As I said, we had no prior knowledge of the place so were a bit blown away to discover it. We'll go back one day soon I hope.
Old Mar 14th 2012, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

julien17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Xoffie,

I am living here in Saintes exactly, one big town next to Cognac, same size,
and at the seaside. I got a business in London and I am working here.
If you fancy a pint of beer in Cognac , or Saintes, let me know.
And welcome here!!!
amazing food , wine and cognac of course, and nice sand beach.

Originally Posted by xoffie
Hello,

Thanks a lot
Old Mar 14th 2012, 7:22 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by julien17
Hi Xoffie,

I am living here in Saintes exactly, one big town next to Cognac, same size,
and at the seaside. I got a business in London and I am working here.
If you fancy a pint of beer in Cognac , or Saintes, let me know.
And welcome here!!!
amazing food , wine and cognac of course, and nice sand beach.
Huh? The Saintes I was thinking of is nowhere near the seaside. Or do you mean you have two houses one in Saintes and the other at the seaside?
Old Mar 15th 2012, 10:45 am
Just Joined

julien17 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry, Saintes is not properly on the sea but next to the sea. 30 km to get to the sea, that's my definition of the "seasideness".. One good thing, it's not overcrowded in the summer.
Sorry to confuse you. But you are right , it s not strictly speaking on the sea.

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Huh? The Saintes I was thinking of is nowhere near the seaside. Or do you mean you have two houses one in Saintes and the other at the seaside?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.