British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi) (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/introduction-thread-somewhere-say-hi-585717/)

cyrian May 12th 2022 11:55 am

Re: Introduction Thread (Somewhere to say Hi)

Hi Corinne
Post your questions on the main French forum. :thumbs_up:

Oscariswilde Jun 27th 2022 10:08 pm

An intro - Irish family looking to move to SW France, looking at Bordeaux and Lot et Garonne. Key is an bilingual school for our middle school lads. We will be working remotely hence the location is school based. We also renovate properties so after a year renting, we want to buy a chateaux to do up. A bit of a cliche but we did the same in Ireland so it's not a new thing for us. Suggestions, advice all welcome!

Moses2013 Jun 28th 2022 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Oscariswilde (Post 13125162)
An intro - Irish family looking to move to SW France, looking at Bordeaux and Lot et Garonne. Key is an bilingual school for our middle school lads. We will be working remotely hence the location is school based. We also renovate properties so after a year renting, we want to buy a chateaux to do up. A bit of a cliche but we did the same in Ireland so it's not a new thing for us. Suggestions, advice all welcome!

One word of warning and while you might have renovated properties in Ireland, it's a complete different level in France, Spain etc. I'm in the Rep. of Ireland myself and also renovated a property, everything is so easy here with little bureaucracy. We built a holiday home just across the border from France (Spain) and know people who have moved to France and renovated an old property. Apart from language (maybe you are fluent), it can be a nightmare and add in the fact that the property market is very different. With children there are probably even more things to look out for, hope it works out.

dmu Jul 3rd 2022 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Oscariswilde (Post 13125162)

Hi, and welcome to the forum!:)
Apart from the schooling issue (google Ecoles Internationales ou Ecoles bilingues in Gironde and the region Nouvelle Aquitaine in general). I may be wrong, but bilingual schools don't prepare the pupils for "foreign" exams, they simply have some classes in English (or whatever), presumably you've looked into all that's involved for "working remotely" as EU citizens.
Continue in the main section below - this section is simply intended for Introductions, not for giving info... Apart from the fact that not every one looks in, and you might miss some useful info.....

joshoxo Aug 29th 2022 5:41 pm

Hi. We’re a couple looking to buy a camping business in France, after ANY advice anyone can give. Please, help us! :)

cyrian Aug 29th 2022 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by joshoxo (Post 13137874)
Hi. We’re a couple looking to buy a camping business in France, after ANY advice anyone can give. Please, help us! :)

Welcome to the forum.
This section is for introductions only so please post again on the main French forum.

Fillop Sep 2nd 2022 2:08 pm

Hi Ka Ora, This is my first post so may need lots of advice regarding retirement in the Pyrenees. Coming out again this weekend to view my potential new home i do love the Pyrenean mountains and i have found the people to be very friendly. Already made some good contacts but now the stressful part begins making an offer and getting the ball rolling. Any hints or recommendations would be much appreciated. Fillop.

dmu Sep 3rd 2022 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Fillop (Post 13138716)
Hi Ka Ora, This is my first post so may need lots of advice regarding retirement in the Pyrenees. Coming out again this weekend to view my potential new home i do love the Pyrenean mountains and i have found the people to be very friendly. Already made some good contacts but now the stressful part begins making an offer and getting the ball rolling. Any hints or recommendations would be much appreciated. Fillop.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!
Post again in the main part of the forum below, as this section is only for introductions. Mention Retirement in the Pyrenees in the title, to attract "locals", and saying whether you'll be alone and whether you speak French.
But, before actually signing a Compromis/Promesse de Vente, be sure that you'll be eligible for a Visa in order to live here.
And, even if you're fit now, think ahead to your autumn years and make sure the area you choose isn't a medical desert! One tends to consult more often as the years pass.... Take a look in the "Getting old in France" thread in the Read-me Moving to France FAQs below!
This is general advice - as said, you'll get more advice on property-buying in the Pyrenees (which part?) if you ask in a New Thread below.
Good luck in your venture!:)

Del_f Jan 16th 2023 9:41 am

Hi Everyone,

So, we are just starting on our journey to potentially move to France, It had been a plan for a few years now, but one thing & another led it to being delayed.
We have just recently, restarted the fact finding part again (Brexit sort of messed up original plans). We know roughly where we want to live, & type of property. I`ll be retired, or close to it, but might carry on for a bit on a part time basis. My partner is still a few years away from retirement, so she would be working, potentially remote working. (we both work in IT, so remote working is not a issue. (depending on the company)
Still trying to get our heads round all the taxation ins & outs & whist it looks daunting, it must be doable, just look at you lot :lol: you managed it :lol:.

Ill be posting in main forums, after reading some threads, & asking some questions

Del

Mfranlanduk Feb 23rd 2023 4:43 pm

Good evening everyone and hello,

Myself and my wife currently live in Yorkshire and are looking to buy a house and move to the Normandy region of France sometime in the next year or so. We would love some feedback, experiences, stories and advice from fellow expats on their experience and if it is definitely worth the move.
It is something that we have never done before (as most people haven't lol) and we are just researching into the laws, immigration, tax, utility stuff. To be honest we don't know where to start lol so we would love some advice or pointing in the right direction of where to begin including any useful websites you all may know about.
My wife will be a retired hairdresser and I am an electrical/mechanical engineer and would also be looking to continue some type of work when we move over.
Any advice would be most gratefully received and definitely appreciated.

Thanks all

Matt and Kirstie.

EuroTrash Feb 23rd 2023 5:35 pm

Hello :welcome: from a Yorkshire lass, now living in Normandy It's nice to be taken as a role model, doesn't happen a lot!

However I made the move long before Brexit when it was all a lot simpler.

The main French forum is the place for specific questions and more detailed advice and discussion, but first reaction from what you've said is that it might be better to wait until you've hung up your spanners and screwdrivers and joined the missus in the leisured lifestyle. It's not so difficult to move as pensioners but it's a lot more complicated if you want to do any work.

See you in the main forum!

dmu Feb 24th 2023 7:18 am

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 13175059)
Hello :welcome: from a Yorkshire lass, now living in Normandy It's nice to be taken as a role model, doesn't happen a lot!

However I made the move long before Brexit when it was all a lot simpler.

The main French forum is the place for specific questions and more detailed advice and discussion, but first reaction from what you've said is that it might be better to wait until you've hung up your spanners and screwdrivers and joined the missus in the leisured lifestyle. It's not so difficult to move as pensioners but it's a lot more complicated if you want to do any work.

See you in the main forum!

+1
As suggested, since this part of the forum is simply for introductions and your post will get swallowed up by the next one, post again in the main forum below, clicking on New Thread.
Whatever your future status (= Visa), will your French (both of you, see "Growing old in France" in the FAQs below) be adequate to cope with the "laws/immigration/tax/utility stuff", to mention but a few? If not, I would suggest working on it as from now! In Normandie you'll have a lot of British expats around to help out, but personally I wouldn't want strangers being involved with my finances and health....
Good luck with your plans, and see you again in the main forum below!
P.S. Take a look in all the FAQs below, although some of them are out-of-date now and are being revised.

Rhys1962 Jan 29th 2024 2:01 pm

Hi - fairly new boy here, just moved into a house in Sainte-Soline, Deux Sèvres. Looking forward to reading other's experiences and learning about the pitfalls to avoid...