Income Tax

Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:48 am
Just Joined

GeoffnHelenR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Income Tax

There are new rules about paying tax here on income from UK. After 17 years of being non-imposable we now find that liability on our state pensions is calculated on gross income, not net - ie after tax - income. This seems to mean that we are paying tax on income that has already been taxed elsewhere, which I understand is against EEC regulations. Surely others have encountered the same problem this year - does anyone know how one can avoid this clearly unjust situation? In the current financial situation, with prices and service bills rising, and due to rise steeply again, this presents a serious problem for those on a restricted income.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Income Tax

I am not a pensioner so cant help a lot but saw a posting the other day about this on another forum... the guy there was trying to gather interested people to try and fight the changes; think it was on anglo info on my region
Old Aug 31st 2011, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GeoffnHelenR
There are new rules about paying tax here on income from UK. After 17 years of being non-imposable we now find that liability on our state pensions is calculated on gross income, not net - ie after tax - income. This seems to mean that we are paying tax on income that has already been taxed elsewhere, which I understand is against EEC regulations.
Have you asked your percepteur?
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 8:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
I am not a pensioner so cant help a lot but saw a posting the other day about this on another forum... the guy there was trying to gather interested people to try and fight the changes; think it was on anglo info on my region
Thanks - how do I find this site, please?
Old Sep 3rd 2011, 8:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Peabrain
Have you asked your percepteur?
If you mean the local tax inspector, yes, I have and he was totally unhelpful.
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:26 am
Just Joined

tildathecat is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if you are not yet recognised by HMCR as being resident in France. If you have registered with the French tax authorities you should be able to get your UK private pensions paid gross (state pensions are paid gross anyway). You have to fill in forms and it takes ages for HMRC to process the application, but eventually you will get a refund of UK tax from the time you started paying French tax.

Does this make sense or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Old Sep 4th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tildathecat
I wonder if you are not yet recognised by HMCR as being resident in France. If you have registered with the French tax authorities you should be able to get your UK private pensions paid gross (state pensions are paid gross anyway). You have to fill in forms and it takes ages for HMRC to process the application, but eventually you will get a refund of UK tax from the time you started paying French tax.

Does this make sense or am I barking up the wrong tree?
TildaTheCat,
There's no way I can see you barking up the wrong tree.
Meowing perhaps.......
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeoffnHelenR
Thanks - how do I find this site, please?
midipyreneessouth angloinfo should get you there on a google search