Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Importing a trailer from UK

Importing a trailer from UK

Old Jul 15th 2011, 8:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: Importing a trailer from UK

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
We can't find any way round this six-month thing, they won't issue the CoC, simple as that.
On the basis that it's unlikely that IW actually make their own axles, brakes, and hitches for their trailers if you can get the C of C's for those individual items from the relative manufacturers it shouldn't take much to get it past a DREAL inspection.

That's basically what you do for a trailer for which no C of C is obtainable.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:05 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

How would you find out who makes their components? I suppose in theory it could be done but I wouldn't count on IW being co-operative! A friend of ours reckons you can ask the European Court to intervene, I think this was in the case of a pre-2004 trailer he was thinking of buying but these things would seem to be long-winded and expensive. We have a trailer from the 1990s which we can't use on the road, in spite of having all the brakes etc renewed. Can't say that I relish the prospect of yet another wad of paperwork though
Old Jul 16th 2011, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

As EU certified items each of them should have the manufacturers information on them so you go direct there not to IW.
Old Jul 16th 2011, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Meant to add that IW should not be removing or obliterating any such 3rd party manufacturers labels as they form part of the support documentation for the C of C.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:13 am
Just Joined

tramblygoat is an unknown quantity at this point

Further info on getting my Ifor Williams trailer.

1 .Three different French assurers have confirmed they would insure the trailer on carte grise provisoire or definitive (of course) but NOT on the trailer VIN only!
2. The cheapest insurer was 48 euros/year - MAAF for a trailer which I gave as 3000 euros value / 2 axle PTAC 2700kg model. Contents not covered but you kind of expect that with a trailer (even one with a hardtop)
3. The ONLY legal way to get the trailer back from the UK with a French registered car for the over 500kg PTAC model trailers is with a carte grise (provisoire or definitve)
4. The carte grise provioise can be obtained with only an invoice (showing VAT paid, model, VIN etc) plus some other details.
5. The carte grise provisoire is valid for 30 days. It costs 45 euros/each time. It can be renewed later if you have a delay between the expiry of the first one - this is useful/necessary due to the Ifor Williams delay in issuing paperwork for the carte grise definitive. You'll need a new temp plate with each carte grise provisoire
6. The carte grise definitve is 75 euros (in my department 71 but will vary with dept)

Next: The conformity issue

1. It seems that Ifor Williams will drag their feet on supplying paperwork for newly bought trailers. I think that it may even be that they don't even provide anything for trailers until said trailers are 6 months old. I can only confirm this for sure when I have my trailer and try them.
2. I'm not sure what Ifor Williams will supply at the point of sale. If they supplied some European conformity (although this appears not to be the case for trailers which are not treated like cars) then I would avoid the DREAL altogether and could get my carte grise definitve.
3. However it seems 99.99% sure that I'll receive nothing from Ifor Williams UK at the point of sale - even if I ask in advance
4. So this will mean a wait on Ifor Williams and whatever policy/game they decide to play.
5. When I have paid the ransom to Ifor Williams France (their rate seems to change and I can't confirm this but it is between 100 and 300 euros) I will almost certainly only received an 'attestation de homologation' which seems to be marked 'partially confirms' even if the trailer is 100% compliant (this is what many people report). Said attestation will take about 6 weeks to obtain from IW but may take longer.
6. This paperwork will not be enough to just pass directly to La Prefecture but will mean a trip to the DREAL. Until I try this for myself I can't confirm or say how it will go. It should be straight forward for models that are currently on sale in France. The cost of this visit is 84 euros.

Now many of you have had different experiences of the DREAL and Ifor Williams attitude to supplying the paperwork so I'll remain open to how it may go. I shall report back at times as I pass each hurdle of this process. One thing is sure and that is that this represents a lot of nonsense for what is after all just some metal and wheels. The combination of France+Ifor Williams is a real pain in the A**. But I will overcome all the hurdles and I will make a considerable saving when all is completed.
Old Jul 20th 2011, 12:38 am
Just Joined

I forgot to add that for the very brave amongst you - you could try doing a titre isolé (and avoid the famous Ifor Williams paperwork) where you get all the conformity paperwork yourself for the individual parts of the trailer that the DREAL would inspect. I think though after reading the paperwork that you need to be up for a real challenge if you try this route
This is a:
Fiche de constitution d’un dossier de
Réception à Titre Isolé de véhicule
en application du Code de la Route
Remorques neuves
dont le PTC* est supérieur à 500 kg et inférieur ou égal à 3 500 kg
* PTC = poids total en charge
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

News hot off the press According to an IW agent in the UK, from next year the agents will be able to issue Cocs for their trailers, both new and second-hand, also some pre-2004 may qualify. So that might just make buying an IW trailer in the UK a whole lot easier....

Sue
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:01 am
Just Joined

Very interesting. So should I wait, I wonder? Maybe they are starting to see the light.

Mark
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 7:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Was it ever a question of being able to ?
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Trailer now ordered, will arrive in 6-8 weeks but I won't collect until late November as I'm too busy at work before then. Ordered in my name and a UK address to avoid giving any hassle to the Ifor Williams dealer. Local Prefecture has confirmed that this is okay to get my carte grise provisoire - just need my name on the invoice and a French utility bill plus ID. Will re-post later on in the year with an update of how it is going......
Old Aug 9th 2011, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the update, we look forward to hearing how you get on!

Sue
Old Apr 24th 2012, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

ChissayLuke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm new here, but this is on-topic.
i will be importing two trailers to France from UK. One is 1300KG Gross, so I am engaged in harvesting a CoC with a vire towards the Carte Grise.
The other trailer I havn't bought yet. It will be sub 750KG, and will this mean it has no need of a Carte Grise, as I currently understand it?
I see in a post below that it would need to be sub 500KG Gross to avoid the need for a Carte Grise.
Does anyone know what the lower limit is, please?
Thanks.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ChissayLuke
Hi, I'm new here, but this is on-topic.
i will be importing two trailers to France from UK. One is 1300KG Gross, so I am engaged in harvesting a CoC with a vire towards the Carte Grise.
The other trailer I havn't bought yet. It will be sub 750KG, and will this mean it has no need of a Carte Grise, as I currently understand it?
I see in a post below that it would need to be sub 500KG Gross to avoid the need for a Carte Grise.
Does anyone know what the lower limit is, please?
Thanks.
Hi,

There is the unladen weight of the trailer and the authorised towing weight - of course you'll know that. Here are the French rules below. Use the UK spec figures as your guide.

The maximum laden weight (Poids Totale Autorisée en Charge - PTAC) and unladen weight (Poids Vide - PV) should be shown on all trailers, whatever the weight, on the nearside of the front of the trailer or on the draw bar.

Trailers greater than 500 Kg (PTAC, laden weight) need:

to be registered, hold a Carte Grise registration document and have registration plates (apply at the Préfecture)
a certificate of insurance (certificat d'assurance) to be shown in the front nearside window of the towing vehicle, in a waterproof holder on the front nearside of the trailer or next to the insurance certificate (certificat d'assurance) of the towing vehicle.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:42 am
Just Joined

Just to say my Ifor Williams GD85 trailer is now registered in France.

It cost me One carte grise provisoire (45 euros), 200 euros to IW France, 85 euros at the DIRE (French inspection centre), 3 euros at a weigh station and an old salvaged cycle guard from another trailer. And another 55 euros for the final Carte Grise

Cost of my trailer with options in the UK: £3019 incl VAT
Extra costs to get French registered: €333

French quote for the same model: €4658 plus €55 carte grise.

So about 760 euros cheaper at this time of writing (€1.2 = £1) but then I bought it when the euro was €1.10 to the £1. So I saved about €1054. Plus the goods I bought back which saved me three times that amount. I didn't take into account my travel cost, fuel, ferry and road tolls as I was on a visit to see my parents anyway and this was planned. If you don't need to go the UK and don't plan on bringing stuff back then the exercise might not be worth doing

Generally a pain in the bum this whole French business with trailers but in the end straight forward enough if you have time, patience and follow the rules. Certainly the savings are worth it and more so if you do a UK road trip bringing back goods that are cheaper in the UK.

Hope that helps everyone.
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

ChissayLuke is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, Tramblygoat. That's really helpful!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.