Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Importing RHD cars from UK

Importing RHD cars from UK

Old Mar 21st 2007, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Russell_F97 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing RHD cars from UK

I will be moving to France some time in the next six months or so and wondered if there was a downside to keeping my car as RHD. I could convert it to LHD, but as it's a special edition Classic Mini I would like to keep it "as is" apart from the correct headlights and repositioning the rear fog light.

I realise that overtaking is problematical - I've driven a series of Minis in France over the years, but does anyone know if there would be an insurance hit, or problems with the CT, etc?
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:18 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Importing RHD cars from UK

Hi Russell.

We brought our Galaxy over to France, we had the headlights changed and put it through a controle technique (MOT) then went through the process of importing it. Lengthy process but worth it.
We now have french plates on an english car.

Insuring it was no problem. We took out the insurance in France when the car was english registered and then just rang them when the plates changed and gave them the new registration number.

Driving isn't too bad, yes overtaking is tricky but the roads here are so quiet that overtaking is rarely needed.

The whole process of importing including the cost of headlights was about 800 euros.

Good luck

Last edited by jdr; Mar 22nd 2007 at 5:30 pm. Reason: removed promotional url, put it in your signature.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 3:15 pm
Just Joined

Russell_F97 is an unknown quantity at this point

That'll do for me! Many thanks for your reply.
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

rich68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Russell

I have just imported my Focus - got the carte grise this morning. In the Haut-Rhin at least it is quite straightforward. I just needed a contrĂ´le technique, a certificat fiscal, my V5, the conformity certificate, proof of address and had to show my passport. Cost of the carte grise was 194 EUR and the process took less than 5 minutes plus 40 minutes waiting for my turn. Now I can get my number plates.

Before the CT I just changed the headlights which cost less than 300 EUR (the fog light is not required to be on the correct side). The CT cost 52 EUR.

I found that AGF would insure my car on British plates until the transfer. There is no code for RHD so it shouldn't affect the cost of insurance. (Actually I read somewhere that this should be the case throughout Europe, even in GB).

I wouldn't want to convert the car from RHD to LHD. I assume it would be very expensive. There are no real disadvantages of driving RHD here except for car parks where you need a long left arm, and maybe on the narrow roads where the French seem to drive in the middle of the road (but you have the advantage of being able to get close into the right side of the road). If you want a LHD car I would buy one here. I saw a LHD mini in Luzern (Switzerland) the other week with a union flag on the roof.

The main cost is the headlights because you would probably have to get a carte grise anyway even if you bought a French car. And there is no road tax so it's just a one time cost. Also the CT is every 2 years.

HTH
Richard
Old Mar 24th 2007, 7:19 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Russell_F97
I will be moving to France some time in the next six months or so and wondered if there was a downside to keeping my car as RHD. I could convert it to LHD, but as it's a special edition Classic Mini I would like to keep it "as is" apart from the correct headlights and repositioning the rear fog light.

I realise that overtaking is problematical - I've driven a series of Minis in France over the years, but does anyone know if there would be an insurance hit, or problems with the CT, etc?

four years ago we imported a mitubishi colt did not even have to change the headlights it came with the normal head aches and it was a damm same that someone hit us side on in the caarefore car park side on and wrote it off the week after we got the carte grise i would say save yourself the head ache buy a left hand drive car as if your changing coutries change dont go half way.