Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Importing a pick-up into France question(s)

Importing a pick-up into France question(s)

Old Sep 9th 2013, 9:32 pm
Just Joined

Gerbil brain is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Importing a pick-up into France question(s)

Howdo,

For various reasons it is easier and more practical for me to register my vehicle in France. However, I haven't found the appropriate information for my vehicle which is a 2009 3.0l Toyota Hilux (4 seat) other than the basic information on importing a car.

In the UK it is registered as a PLG and is basically viewed as a car and not a commercial vehicle. What's the position in France on such vehicles and what are the consequences (if any)?

Toyota only have 'Certificate of Uniformity' for Hiluxes from 2010. They don't exist for 2009 or earlier and therefore cannot be supplied. What do I do if I can't supply one?

Many thanks for any help

Cheers,
GB
Old Sep 10th 2013, 5:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Importing a pick-up into France question(s)

Howdo, I'm no expert but will throw in a few random comments until somebody more knowledgeable comes along:

Don't expect the fact that it is registered as a PLG in the UK to cut any ice in France, they will classify it, as commercial or not, according to the French criteria. If they say it is commercial you would, I believe, require an annual emissions test in addition to the 2-year controle technique.

'Grey' imports are notoriously difficult if not impossible to register in France.

If no certificate of conformity is available, usually the other route is to get the vehicle tested by the French vehicle testing authority which used to be DRIRE but I seem to remember that it's all been re-organised so may be a different acronym now.

Originally Posted by Gerbil brain

For various reasons it is easier and more practical for me to register my vehicle in France.
The authorities don't really take into account which is easier and more practical for you - they expect you to register your vehicles as per national and EU laws, which are pretty rigid and normally require them to be registered in the country where the owner is permanently resident. Otherwise everyone would find it more practical to register their cars wherever the tax is cheapest, and preferably not in their own country so that they can break the speed limits with impunity. (You probably know this but just checking - it's always best to know the rules before you decide whether or not to bend them.)
Old Sep 10th 2013, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

Gerbil brain is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Howdo, I'm no expert but will throw in a few random comments until somebody more knowledgeable comes along:

Don't expect the fact that it is registered as a PLG in the UK to cut any ice in France, they will classify it, as commercial or not, according to the French criteria. If they say it is commercial you would, I believe, require an annual emissions test in addition to the 2-year controle technique.

'Grey' imports are notoriously difficult if not impossible to register in France.

If no certificate of conformity is available, usually the other route is to get the vehicle tested by the French vehicle testing authority which used to be DRIRE but I seem to remember that it's all been re-organised so may be a different acronym now.

The authorities don't really take into account which is easier and more practical for you - they expect you to register your vehicles as per national and EU laws, which are pretty rigid and normally require them to be registered in the country where the owner is permanently resident. Otherwise everyone would find it more practical to register their cars wherever the tax is cheapest, and preferably not in their own country so that they can break the speed limits with impunity. (You probably know this but just checking - it's always best to know the rules before you decide whether or not to bend them.)
Thanks for that. It's not a grey import so no worries there. I did get the impression it would be classed as a commercial so the emissions test is new to me - thanks.

Should have said it was easier and more practical to import here rather than sell it in the UK and buy here.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Be very careful with LPG vehicles.

If it was not supplied like that by Toyota but has been converted by a 3rd party then it's highly unlikely that it will have been done to French standards and will therefore be virtually impossible to register.