Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Importing a dog - quarantine?

Importing a dog - quarantine?

Old Feb 4th 2009, 10:33 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough
Default Importing a dog - quarantine?

Hi

We are considering moving to France and importing our dog. We have been told that the procedure from this end is quite simple (much more so than the UK), but wonder if there is automatic quarantine in France? This can be avoided when importing to the UK if the process of getting rabies tests etc starts around 7 months prior to arrival.

Can anyone help?

Thanks
Old Feb 6th 2009, 12:54 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Importing a dog - quarantine?

hi highersights ... are you in Sydney?

If yes, all you need to do is get an EU Health Cert from the airline you will be travelling on - ensure your dog has a rabies vaccination which is more than 30 and less than 365 days old, a microchip and a document from the vet proving this. Then! You need to have your dog wormed and "frontlined" tick treatment 7 days before travel by a competent vet who will stamp your EU health Cert. On the french side you show your papers and pay a small fee and you are free to go! The airline will be able to give you all the details!

(I brought my dog and 2 cats from Dubai in Dec to Marseille airport and there were no delays ... really easy and certainly NO quarrantine!!)
Old Feb 8th 2009, 6:18 am
Forum Regular

highersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the roughhighersights is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by beigey
hi highersights ... are you in Sydney?

If yes, all you need to do is get an EU Health Cert from the airline you will be travelling on - ensure your dog has a rabies vaccination which is more than 30 and less than 365 days old, a microchip and a document from the vet proving this. Then! You need to have your dog wormed and "frontlined" tick treatment 7 days before travel by a competent vet who will stamp your EU health Cert. On the french side you show your papers and pay a small fee and you are free to go! The airline will be able to give you all the details!

(I brought my dog and 2 cats from Dubai in Dec to Marseille airport and there were no delays ... really easy and certainly NO quarrantine!!)
Hi beigey

Yes we are in Sydney. It seems the procedure to get to France is much easier than the one to get pets to the UK - amazing that the French don't out-do the British in bureaucracy in one area!
Old May 16th 2009, 2:26 am
Just Joined

Ispoki is just really niceIspoki is just really niceIspoki is just really niceIspoki is just really niceIspoki is just really niceIspoki is just really niceIspoki is just really niceIspoki is just really nice

Hi Highersights, Going into mainland europe is easy, but not as easy as the UK. All countries have their own individual export rules and import rules. For example going to Australia is very awkward because of testing for Hook worm etc.

Going into mainland Europe you need to have had a rabies vaccination no less then 21 days prior to moving. There is no Quarantine in mainland europe as rabies does occur in those countries.

Entering into the UK is easier but can have time constraints (6 months from a non qualifying country or failed entry).
However Australia is part of PET's (Pet travel scheme) Which means that if: 1)Your pet has been a microchiped. 2)Had a Rabies vaccination <b><u>AFTER</u></b> the microchip was implanted and 3)Had a blood test taken, aslong as it reached 0.5IU/ml then the six month period of waiting to enter the UK started on the day you had the blood tested.

For example if you had the blood sample taken on May 16th (the day im posting this) your pet would be eligible for release on November 15th (the rule is 6months minus 1 day) So say you spent until October getting your pets ready to go they would only need to spend the remaining month in a quarantine facility!.

You can always send pets ahead of your departure saving them stress from you packing and moving and by the time you get a house the time will almost be over! plus if you move at the same time as your pet you can still visit them at the kennel's.

Unfortunately i found this out the hard way, and not being an Expat hadn't thought that lots of other people coming back to the UK may have the same trouble. After being back after travelling (and having my beautiful rescue from Dubai come back through quarantine as a puppy the owners made her far better behaved and eat properly as i can assure you they don't out there!...But still had that naughty glint in her eye that made me fall in love)

Off the subject but i can't help but mention my beautiful girl :P. Like i was saying coming back was made simple for me. My parents got in touch with the nearest kennels which was Little Acre near peterborough. The paperwork was sorted and i got Messie (messy, you wouldn't believe how bad she was) into the UK within a fortnight from the first enquiry. Dubai kennels and cattery helped alot with documents scanned to them from Little acre but i cannot show my appreciation enough!

Liz, Steve and David, Mandy, Julia and Sam (yes i got to know them all by name...i visited ALOT) are all amazing people that take the time to know your pet and make you feel at ease.

Anyway ive said enough but if anyone wants to ask me about quarantine in the UK, i've spent a good while picking brains of knowledgable people and if i can't help you i know a few guys that can.
Old May 17th 2009, 6:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highersights
Hi

We are considering moving to France and importing our dog. We have been told that the procedure from this end is quite simple (much more so than the UK), but wonder if there is automatic quarantine in France? This can be avoided when importing to the UK if the process of getting rabies tests etc starts around 7 months prior to arrival.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

there is no quarantine for pets in France. We bought 2 dogs/3 cats from South Africa when we moved here, and it was a really easy process. We got the forms from our local French Embassy in SA. I see there is a french consulate in Sydney, so you should be able to get forms from there
http://www.ambafrance-au.org/france_...hp?article1992
Old May 17th 2009, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highersights
Hi

Can anyone help?

Thanks
We got the dog in, no problem when we came - although it was the mother-in-law that they quarantined. Mind you, it's the frothing at the mouth which is enough to scare anyone!