"iel"

Old Nov 19th 2021, 12:50 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default "iel"

Has any one come across this new pronoun which can be used to replace il/elle when it's not sure what gender the person in question is?
I don't know why some one didn't think of this before, it saves saying/writing "il ou elle" all the time.
But it applies only to persons, not inanimate objects, so foreigners must still learn the latters' genders....
On the other hand, whoever invented the concept of "langage inclusif" should be placed in solitary confinement: As DD2 says: "Les nombreux.ses lecteurs.trices brun.es et gros.ses sont allé.es se pendre après avoir lu cette phrase." Writing it was a pain in the neck, too....
Here endeth today's French lesson....
Old Nov 19th 2021, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "iel"

Don't have that problem here! Just one version of the third person singular "Ő"!
Old Nov 19th 2021, 1:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I've been reading about that.
As you say it doesn't solve the problem when you want to use adjectives or past participles or whatever, you still have to make a decision, but woke is woke.

Old Nov 20th 2021, 7:10 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Yes I've been reading about that.
As you say it doesn't solve the problem when you want to use adjectives or past participles or whatever, you still have to make a decision, but woke is woke.
Had to check the meaning of "woke is woke"!
The langage inclusif isn't to avoid racial discrimination, but is approved by feminists who don't appreciate the masculine being used in adjectives/past participles when both sexes are concerned. Present examples: Les joueuses et leur entraineur sont heureux. L'homme, sa femme et sa fille que j'ai vus. On the other hand a noun doesn't bother me: e.g. Directeur/trice, when written, and when speaking, you can ask whether "iel" is male or female!
Old Nov 20th 2021, 11:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Well yes, there is the issue gender neutral which isn't new, but I thought the issue here is that now about what I think we now call non-binary people, i.e. who prefer not to identify as either male or female? Even here in Aberystwyth, you see more and more students who clearly don't wish to be identified by gender. Just yesterday I stopped to let a person cross the road and there was absolutely nothing in their appearance that would allow you to assign them a gender, and I'm sure that wasn't an accident, it was a "look" that they had chosen and perfected, so I guess it is appropriate to say that "iel" crossed the road.
So I think there's a difference between when a person does identify as m or f and the point is that their gender should have no bearing on their professional or societal role, and the next stage which is where I think we are now, which I think is getting into "woke" territory, when people feel it should not be necessary to even identify as m or f.
Old Nov 21st 2021, 7:44 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

As an anecdote, I've decided to write "iel" on a Procuration which I'll be giving since I can't attend the AG of an Association. Not knowing who'll defnitely be present so that I can name some one, I'll leave blanks and use "iel", and see whether my pedantry will be noticed by the Bureau!
P.S. The thought occurred to me that all those ".es" in langage inclusif might confuse the computer into thinking that they are Spanish websites and it'll underline the preceding letters...