Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Identity crisis

Identity crisis

Old Jul 5th 2008, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Identity crisis

Anybody else who's moved here had an identity crisis? I was asked this morning where I was from. Normandy was my first reply, but I'm not French Haven't lived in UK so long I don't identify there, although still have the passport, no ties anymore to South Africa and can't wait for OH to leave Canada. I don't really fit the nomad/gypsey criteria as I don't have a caravan or carry my belongings around on my back. So, who or what am I and how do the rest of you cope with this if you've ever felt the same way? Think I need to go have another glass of wine as I think I'm going to be pondering over this for some time
Old Jul 5th 2008, 7:47 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Identity crisis

Nope. Sorry Val, I'm a Yorkshireman first, and Englishman second and French third. Despite the trials & tribulations of the last week or so! :curse:
Old Jul 5th 2008, 8:06 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by val50
Anybody else who's moved here had an identity crisis? I was asked this morning where I was from. Normandy was my first reply, but I'm not French Haven't lived in UK so long I don't identify there, although still have the passport, no ties anymore to South Africa and can't wait for OH to leave Canada. I don't really fit the nomad/gypsey criteria as I don't have a caravan or carry my belongings around on my back. So, who or what am I and how do the rest of you cope with this if you've ever felt the same way? Think I need to go have another glass of wine as I think I'm going to be pondering over this for some time

Never a problem im from Beetlegeuse left at Sirus 3 carry on for 400,000.00.00 lights years. And stop just before the end of the universe. Looks like the blue pill is kicking in.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jul 5th 2008 at 8:49 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2008, 8:47 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Possible withdrawl of citizenship:

Dear Ms/Miss/Mrs Expatriot, Val,

I regret having to inform you that your British passport has been temporarily withdrawn while we investigate complaints received concerning your increasing inability to identify with Britain. In the two complaints that have, at present, come to our attention it is claimed that:

i) You are not from Yorkshire and
ii) You do not believe in extra-terrestrial travel

You have an unspecified amount of time in which to reply to these accusations but in the abscence of a comprehensive defense you will be stripped. Of your citizenship we mean .

Yours truly,

Reginald Sarkasty,

President of the Universe
Old Jul 5th 2008, 8:50 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by treskillard
Possible withdrawl of citizenship:

Dear Ms/Miss/Mrs Expatriot, Val,

I regret having to inform you that your British passport has been temporarily withdrawn while we investigate complaints received concerning your increasing inability to identify with Britain. In the two complaints that have, at present, come to our attention it is claimed that:

i) You are not from Yorkshire and
ii) You do not believe in extra-terrestrial travel

You have an unspecified amount of time in which to reply to these accusations but in the abscence of a comprehensive defense you will be stripped. Of your citizenship we mean .

Yours truly,

Reginald Sarkasty,

President of the Universe
Undersigned by Vogons chief stamp stamper at the post office...and his pet rat. googleplex
Old Jul 5th 2008, 9:01 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

1 - 10 sur environ 3 570 000 pour googleplex.

I just had to, didn't I?
Old Jul 5th 2008, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Le Chant
1 - 10 sur environ 3 570 000 pour googleplex.

I just had to, didn't I?
well, thanks boys for ALL the input, will sleep well now
Old Jul 5th 2008, 9:16 pm
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Undersigned by Vogons chief stamp stamper at the post office...and his pet rat. googleplex
Memo:
Thank you Chief stamp stamper for your assistance in this matter but I regret that the stamp you have applied is not authorised. Refer to rule 1.111a where it is clearly stated that, and I quote: "Vogons are banned from public service without prior consent and majority vote of all the human genome project". However bearing in mind the expense of such a solution I will in these exceptional circumstances allow you to complete form BLLOX 69 in triplicate, stamp with said stamp and insert in googleplex's googlebox. Propel into orbit for collection and authorisation. Until this is completed we cannot permit Expat, Val to leave earth despite her appointment with her Galactic Lawyer Master Novo Castrate Him.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:15 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by val50
well, thanks boys for ALL the input, will sleep well now
To get back to the original posting, I think that those who have French spouses and children born here can't help being more French than English. I tried to instill English "culture" into my daughters when they were young (nursery rhymes, etc...) but the minute the elder one started Maternelle,she didn't like to be "different" and I had to learn French children's songs. I probably started to lose my English identity when I had to stop correcting her handwriting in CP. I've never liked the flowery way they are taught to write, but my attempts at making her write like English children led to the teacher giving her poor marks! So, I thought, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. (On the other hand, I have never tried to learn how to do long divisions à la française...). Conclusion, I feel French most of the time, and become English when visiting family.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 7:23 pm

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

I find that no matter who am I talking to or what about - in perfect and fluent Italian - I still find that all my numbers are in English - I memorise phone numbers in English and do all mental arithmatic in English ........ and I have also noticed that my 8 year old is being taught mutliple subtraction in a different way than I was .......... and I too hate all the curly joined-up writing. I especially hate her little "a"s with a curly tail at the top of them.
All handwriting here looks pretty much the same and it's all far too flowery and curly and squigley with not much space for individuality.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:46 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
I find that no matter who am I talking to or what about - in perfect and fluent Italian - I still find that all my numbers are in English - I memorise phone numbers in English and do all mental arithmatic in English ........ and I have also noticed that my 8 year old is being taught mutliple subtraction in a different way than I was .......... and I too hate all the curly joined-up writing. I especially hate her little "a"s with a curly tail at the top of them.
All handwriting here looks pretty much the same and it's all far too flowery and curly and squigley with not much space for individuality.
I have just about mastered learning telephone numbers in French but, like you, can't possibly do mental arithmetic in anything other than English. And I've just realized another English trait that I've kept - I still count on my fingers in the English way! So I still have a bit of English identity left!
Old Jul 7th 2008, 7:56 am

I hope I never lose my British identity, that'd be a very sad day for me.

All I want is to be able to live, love, converse and do business here. I have no desire to be French at all. I would like the opportunity to be accepted by the French, just as I'd accept any immigrant to the UK that spoke the language, adapted their ways to suit the laws and customs and made the effort to integrate. We did all of that here, and that's what (I hope) gives me the right to take umbrage at those that don't. Wherever they may be.