Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

how difficult is it to get work in france?

how difficult is it to get work in france?

Old Jul 31st 2005, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

starsby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default how difficult is it to get work in france?

we are considering a move to s/w france, and i am wondering how long i can expect to live off my own cash, before getting work!! bearing in mind the obvious language barrier...any advice????
Old Jul 31st 2005, 1:15 pm
Just Joined

Energy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: how difficult is it to get work in france?

The general advice would be to improve your language skills as much as possible before you move over, and depending on your trade do as much as you can to secure business contacts in the local area you are considering moving to.

The alternative is to search high and low for an English company in the same trade who operates in the area - probably a long shot.

If you are self-employed and will be looking for customers locally then your French language and willingness to integrate into the local community will be key factors.

Hope that helps - just a starter to get the ball rolling...
Old Jul 31st 2005, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by starsby
we are considering a move to s/w france, and i am wondering how long i can expect to live off my own cash, before getting work!! bearing in mind the obvious language barrier...any advice????
Depends on what your line of work is, but I think you generally have to be able to handle meetings and everyday work in French.
Old Jul 31st 2005, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

starsby is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by proo
Depends on what your line of work is, but I think you generally have to be able to handle meetings and everyday work in French.
hi proo!! i am a welder, have been for 22 years and have never been out of work..although i do not speak french, i am willing to learn, and hopefully residing permanently in france stand a good chance of becoming fluent...
Old Jul 31st 2005, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

proo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to allproo is a name known to all

Originally Posted by starsby
hi proo!! i am a welder, have been for 22 years and have never been out of work..although i do not speak french, i am willing to learn, and hopefully residing permanently in france stand a good chance of becoming fluent...
Well I came with GCSE French which is useful for simple reading, writing and ordering a baguette! You can get free French lessons from your Mairie (may depend on the town but it appears the case around here), otherwise there are the local colleges. I improved my listening by watching TV with a dictionary, and my spoken French by being dumped in the middle of it - you learn quickly this way! It'd be best to get the basics down before you leave - even English/International companies may use French for everyday communication. This is important for things like registering with social security etc. It's not easy even for a native speaker like my partner! Otherwise befriend someone who can speak French + English until you can!
Good luck!
Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:04 pm
Forum Regular

bourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant futurebourgogne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by proo
Well I came with GCSE French which is useful for simple reading, writing and ordering a baguette! You can get free French lessons from your Mairie (may depend on the town but it appears the case around here), otherwise there are the local colleges. I improved my listening by watching TV with a dictionary, and my spoken French by being dumped in the middle of it - you learn quickly this way! It'd be best to get the basics down before you leave - even English/International companies may use French for everyday communication. This is important for things like registering with social security etc. It's not easy even for a native speaker like my partner! Otherwise befriend someone who can speak French + English until you can!
Good luck!
too true proo

my ex was a diplomat....... knighted too ........ and he had not a clue for most!! so donbt feel bad its just france