Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Help please not yet moved to France but own a house, we need to employ a gardener

Help please not yet moved to France but own a house, we need to employ a gardener

Old Jun 9th 2010, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

bcullimo is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool Help please not yet moved to France but own a house, we need to employ a gardener

we need to employ a Gardener to cut the lawns and do a bit of watering when we are not at the house. We understand that we need to use the CESU for paying any employee. Anyone know how this works and what does it actually cost us?? We expect to pay around 15 euros an hour perhaps 4 hours a month max. We have read that we need to register with our local URSSAF and obtain a 'special' CESU cheque book. We write the cheque and give to the employee, this then works thru the system and deducts the correct tax/NI from our bank account making us both legal (employer/employee).
Anyone using this system?? Any problems incurred??
seems there are tax benefits for the employer but of course we are not yet paying French taxes as we don't fully live in France yet.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 6:38 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help please not yet moved to France but own a house, we need to employ a gardener

Unfortunately I don't know how the logistics of payment works, but I spoke to a chap a fortnight ago who uses a gardener to mow and trim 3/4 acre of garden, and that cost around 100 euros a month.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:30 am
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Help please not yet moved to France but own a house, we need to employ a gardener

Hi,

The Cheque Emploi service is what you are talking about. By using it, you are employing someone to do temporary work for you and it also ensures that the employee is properly insured. You must provide all the required tools for the job and anything else required.

Regards tax, once set up with URSSAF, you will have a Cheque Emploi cheque book. You pay the employee, say 15€ an hour. You will then also be liable to pay employers social charges of 40% ( I believe) and the employee will pay personal social charges when he does his annual tax return and declares the income.

You don't say where you are living, but there is bound to be someone in the area doing gardening. They may charge you 20€ an hour, but that works out roughly equivalent to paying 15€ an hour through the Cheque Emploi system. As you are not in the French Tax system, you may not be able to use the Cheque Emploi anyway.

I know of one English company that does this type of work in various areas of France - Les Bons Voisins Property Management

If they are not in your area, there will most likely be others - post your area in reply and someone may know of a company near you.

I hope you find something.

Last edited by Sue; Jun 10th 2010 at 7:11 pm. Reason: Link removed. Please don't post links to your site. Thanks
Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:33 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bcullimo
we need to employ a Gardener to cut the lawns and do a bit of watering when we are not at the house. We understand that we need to use the CESU for paying any employee. Anyone know how this works and what does it actually cost us?? We expect to pay around 15 euros an hour perhaps 4 hours a month max. We have read that we need to register with our local URSSAF and obtain a 'special' CESU cheque book. We write the cheque and give to the employee, this then works thru the system and deducts the correct tax/NI from our bank account making us both legal (employer/employee).
seems there are tax benefits for the employer but of course we are not yet paying French taxes as we don't fully live in France yet.
Hi Welcome to the Forum..

It would be worth finding your local Chainsaw and Garden tools outlet/s you will probably find there are quite a few people set up for garden work in you area. We have an abundance of them around here in the Ariege region.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 3:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcullimo
I use a regular guy to do this. He happens to be english and we found him by looking in the classifieds of a monthly english language magazine we picked up at a nearby Tourist Office.

I pay him 15 euro an hour cash (or ordinary cheque in the mail if I'm not around). He brings his own tools.

My house is in Basse Normandie, so if you happen to be near us I'll happily recommend him to you.

Last edited by Novocastrian; Jun 10th 2010 at 3:58 pm.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks to all who have offered up some advice for us - and for those who asked, we are in the Poitou Charente - department 79 Deux-Sevres. We did have a young French lad from our village popping in to do odd jobs whilst we were away from the house, but alas he's gone off to Uni. We paid him cash as and when he did anything, however, I understand it's not quite that simple any more and we can't just pay cash - the government are cracking down hard on anyone earning or paying cash in hand jobs, hence the need to be "legal". We have an offer from a local lady and it was she who told us about the need for using the cheque system. Although we initially offered our own equipment, She wants to use her own. I think we need to investigate more about the fact we are not living in France fully at present so may not totally be subject to this process.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 8:42 pm
Just Joined

Question Re: Help please not yet moved to France but own a house, we need to employ a gardener

Just as an update to our queries about paying for a gardener (or in deed any tradesmen). Seems our prospective french gardening lady was quite right, cash in hand jobs are currently a definite no no. We have spoken to our bank and are now awaiting our CESU cheque book - we are also registered with URSSAF, so no fear of unwanted fines or prosecutions from paying tradesmen 'on the black' (or cash in hand as we Brits know it). I know a lot of people do still pay cash in hand to people undertaking small jobs around the house but I'm afraid we are too 'chicken' to take the gamble of a hefty fine if someone decides to report us to the authorities (ie. french locals). After all, we want to eventually move into our village on a permanent basis so we don't want to upset the locals before we have even moved in.
Is anyone else now using this system?