Reload this Page >

HELP - HUGE favour needed

HELP - HUGE favour needed

Old Dec 13th 2013, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

KieranUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP - HUGE favour needed

Hey everyone,

I am actually moving back to the UK next week from Madrid and I have run into a problem!

When I moved to to Spain I got the ferry from Dover to Calais and got the overnight train from Paris to Madrid. I done this because I was travelling with my dog, also as a foot passenger.

I am doing a similar journey back to the UK next week and have booked all my travel to Calais and in the UK afterwards, but I have now come to find out that P&O, nor any other fery company, now allow footpassengers to travel with pets!!

Does anyone know of a taxi company that would take the journey on the ferry or is anyone from France heading back to the UK next weekend?

Even if there are any forumers who live in Calais that would take the journey for the day and I would pay all expenses?

I am travelling next saturday the 21st of December and I am hoping that somebody on this forum may be able to offer some advice.

A huge thank you for any help in advance!

Kieran
Old Dec 13th 2013, 4:51 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: HELP - HUGE favour needed

Originally Posted by KieranUK
Hey everyone,

I am actually moving back to the UK next week from Madrid and I have run into a problem!

When I moved to to Spain I got the ferry from Dover to Calais and got the overnight train from Paris to Madrid. I done this because I was travelling with my dog, also as a foot passenger.

I am doing a similar journey back to the UK next week and have booked all my travel to Calais and in the UK afterwards, but I have now come to find out that P&O, nor any other fery company, now allow footpassengers to travel with pets!!

Does anyone know of a taxi company that would take the journey on the ferry or is anyone from France heading back to the UK next weekend?

Even if there are any forumers who live in Calais that would take the journey for the day and I would pay all expenses?

I am travelling next saturday the 21st of December and I am hoping that somebody on this forum may be able to offer some advice.

A huge thank you for any help in advance!

Kieran
Hi, unfortunately the Eurostar which would take you to Ashford or beyond doesn't accept animals. Many taxi companies don't accept animals, either, even if you find one who'd accept to do a return trip on the ferry. If no one on the forum responds, maybe you know someone in the South of England who could come over with an empty car and take you back the same day? There's also a car-share organisation in France. Google "Covoiturage" and you may be lucky!
You must also bear in mind the Vet requirements at the Port (= certificate by a French Vet that the pet's vaccinations, rabies, worming, etc... are up to date). This involves making an appointment with a Vet in Calais shortly before you leave.... That being so, check to see whether a (multi-lingual) certificate by a Spanish Vet would be valid at Calais, provided it's issued within the set time-limit.
Sorry I can't help more - if you're committed to your travel dates and no one has proposed a lift, one solution would be to board your dog in Spain while you return to the UK as planned, which would give you time to organise another means for him/her to travel. I think I read on the Spain forum that one ferry company going to the UK from Bilbao accepts pets....
Hope you find a solution!
Old Dec 14th 2013, 6:31 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

The ferry company dmu refers to is Brittany Ferries. I have used them several times. Dogs on separate deck, right at he top. You can spend as much time with them there as you wish.
And the deck has superb views. Although possibly not in December.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 9:55 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

If it all gets very difficult, try Goldenway International Pets, they have an office in Paris at the Airport and also one down by the ferries. I cannot rate them too highly. The came to my house, boarded my three cats and the dog and then sent them to Canada for me. They were super helpful and really went out of thei was to assist. Very best of luck with your travels, I wish you and your friend every success
Old Dec 14th 2013, 1:01 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Kieran, you don't mention a Passport for your dog. You needed one when you left UK for Europe. If it is not up to date, you are stuck. Worming is crucial for return to UK, between 24-48 hours before leaving Europe; in our case it is obviously France. Also rabies etc. Passport will say. If not up to date get it done now, don't leave til last minute.

If all in order and foot passenger not accepted with dog (though cannot see why not as BF use kennels on my run from St Malo to Portsmouth), can you find a car traveller who would take your dog and book them through. Ownership is never sought (how could you prove it); dog stays in vehicle or in kennel. Fee is the same.

Good luck.
Old Dec 14th 2013, 2:09 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Kieran, you don't mention a Passport for your dog. You needed one when you left UK for Europe. If it is not up to date, you are stuck. Worming is crucial for return to UK, between 24-48 hours before leaving Europe; in our case it is obviously France. Also rabies etc. Passport will say. If not up to date get it done now, don't leave til last minute.

If all in order and foot passenger not accepted with dog (though cannot see why not as BF use kennels on my run from St Malo to Portsmouth),
Hi, the problem is that the OP has organised his trip from Madrid to Calais (and from Dover onwards) - difficult to re-organise at such short notice.
Can the OP confirm that his dog has been checked for rabies and will be wormed within the respective time-limits, and it's Passport is up to date? If not, this is a mega-problem unless the dog remains in Spain temporarily....
Old Dec 14th 2013, 10:09 pm
Just Joined

KieranUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies. In regard to the pet passport, we have everything covered as far as rabies is concerned and we have an appointment on Wednesday for the tapeworm/flea treatment so we will have all documentation required to travel.

I spoke to a pet transport company and they wanted the 750GBP + the eurotunnel ticket, which is just too much!

The option I have is to try and find a driver who is getting the ferry and ask them to take my dog over with me and I would pay for their ticket etc or I need to ask friends to travel from UK to France and back ont eh same day. I don't have many friends who drive in London/SE and they wouldn't be reliable.

I found a taxi company that would come from the UK and back but Ideally I'd be looking for a French company/driver. Time is running out and the prices are flying up so hopefully I can find something soon!

Are there any Calais based forum posters?
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:45 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by KieranUK
Hi Guys,

Thanks a lot for the replies. In regard to the pet passport, we have everything covered as far as rabies is concerned and we have an appointment on Wednesday for the tapeworm/flea treatment so we will have all documentation required to travel.

I spoke to a pet transport company and they wanted the 750GBP + the eurotunnel ticket, which is just too much!

The option I have is to try and find a driver who is getting the ferry and ask them to take my dog over with me and I would pay for their ticket etc or I need to ask friends to travel from UK to France and back ont eh same day. I don't have many friends who drive in London/SE and they wouldn't be reliable.

I found a taxi company that would come from the UK and back but Ideally I'd be looking for a French company/driver. Time is running out and the prices are flying up so hopefully I can find something soon!

Are there any Calais based forum posters?
Hi, here are the latest regulations
http://www.dogtravelblog.co.uk/impor...ules-for-2012/,
so your appointment on Wednesday is within the time-limit, PROVIDED your Spanish Vet's certificate is valid in Calais! You should check that, and if a French Vet has to validate it, you must take this into account...
As no one here is responding from the Calais area, you could try asking on a regional forum, e.g. Angloinfo Nord-Pas de Calais (sorry Mods, but this is urgent for the OP!). Failing which, your UK taxi sounds the only solution....
P.S. as this link is an unofficial blog, click on the DEFRA link for official regulations. A quick look just shows "Vet" without specifying that it must be a French one, but do make sure before you leave....

Last edited by dmu; Dec 15th 2013 at 6:51 am.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:55 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

My belief is the Pet Passport is European, so no issues for Fance, Spain or even Italy, Holland and Germany etc. If Passport is signed and stamped, using language for the treatment it will be fine. The chip check is the key factor to link animal and Passport.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Nectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really nice

Kieran, try a local based forum like AngloInfo: http://picardy.angloinfo.com/forum
which has many members in the Calais region. They may be able to help. Good luck.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 6:29 pm
Forum Regular

ardlifeinit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, you could also try motorhome forums as there maybe someone travelling back from France who could help.
Old Dec 17th 2013, 9:37 am
Just Joined

suppleberry is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you thought about asking on a local community forum in the Dover area, eg

http://www.doverlocals.co.uk/

You may find someone willing to come across on a day return basis to take you over.