Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Help with car hire in Poitiers

Help with car hire in Poitiers

Old May 31st 2013, 10:18 pm
Forum Regular

capricorn2013 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help with car hire in Poitiers

I am flying to Poitiers on Sunday to look at a house and cannot find car hire. The offices in Poitiers seem to be closed on Sunday and I have so far not sourced a car - an automatic is needed.
Anyone know of anywhere open on Sunday?
Otherwise I will have to take the train to Parthenay and then a taxi to the house (its in a small place outside L'Absie).
Hope you can help
Old May 31st 2013, 10:41 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with car hire in Poitiers

Originally Posted by capricorn2013
I am flying to Poitiers on Sunday to look at a house and cannot find car hire. The offices in Poitiers seem to be closed on Sunday and I have so far not sourced a car - an automatic is needed.
Anyone know of anywhere open on Sunday?
Otherwise I will have to take the train to Parthenay and then a taxi to the house (its in a small place outside L'Absie).
Hope you can help
If nowhere is open at the airport then it is unlikely to find other hire locations on a sunday as France is pretty much closed on a sunday with exception to airports, bars, Mc Donald's , KFC, one or two Gendarmerie's in each department on a rota and peage toll's.
Old May 31st 2013, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your help - I think I will have to take the train/taxi option!
Old Jun 1st 2013, 8:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I have never hired from Poitiers but flown in and out 50 or so times. Apart from the height of the season, the car hire offices are always closed. But people do pick up cars - there is a car park for hire cars right beside the airport car park - an extra hundred yards or so. How people get the keys I do not know, but there must be a system.
I believe I have seen Avis and Europcar (absolute crooks IMO). I think there are a couple of others too.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 10:32 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Europcar show as being able to pick up on a sunday but with extra charges, I would be inclined to book it in advance online mind. Avis show as being closed.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 11:28 am
Forum Regular

I have already been down that route and booked on line with 3 companies only to be told 48hrs later that the car is not available.
I have checked with all the companies and none of them are open on a Sunday anywhere in Poitiers.
Luckily the B & B owner has offered to collect me from the airport.

Thanks for your help though.
Old Jun 1st 2013, 7:25 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by capricorn2013
I have already been down that route and booked on line with 3 companies only to be told 48hrs later that the car is not available.
I have checked with all the companies and none of them are open on a Sunday anywhere in Poitiers.
Luckily the B & B owner has offered to collect me from the airport.

Thanks for your help though.
Problem solved. But I think your difficulty was connected to specifying an automatic. Hen's teeth in France.