Hei

Old May 17th 2013, 6:15 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice
Default Hei

Hei

I have been thinking about moving to the south of France.

Any recommendations please?

Thank you
DG
Old May 17th 2013, 6:26 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Hei

Originally Posted by Devil Girl
Hei

I have been thinking about moving to the south of France.

Any recommendations please?

Thank you
DG
Best thing you can do is visit find somewhere you like by visiting the country because moving somewhere where there are not many jobs on the advice of internet folk is not so clever we have all moved to very different locations and some have shifted again based on renewed impressions.

France currently is a challenging place to live there is very little work especially for expats, a Gite is not a means to sustaining your income as you're competing with 60 percent of the population of France.

But the best two links I can share are Air France and Google

Last edited by Chatter Static; May 17th 2013 at 6:40 pm.
Old May 17th 2013, 6:35 pm
Jedi Master

Devil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really niceDevil Girl is just really nice

Thank you ^^

Hehe I would not move without planning things out (I have three children so I have to make sure that it is)

I just thought that it might narrow down the search for me.

I know it is not the same as visiting but I have been using Google street view to look at some places (LOL I need to renew my passport before I am able to visit )
Old May 17th 2013, 6:45 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you ^^

Hehe I would not move without planning things out (I have three children so I have to make sure that it is)

I just thought that it might narrow down the search for me.

I know it is not the same as visiting but I have been using Google street view to look at some places (LOL I need to renew my passport before I am able to visit )
Having glanced at your blog you seem a little undecided as a family, No offence intended. Trust me in when you all find somewhere you want to move to there will be no difference of opinion and the cards just kind of slot together. Emigrating with differences of opinion in location is fatal ask anyone it guarantees resentment divorce or a expensive move back to the UK.
Old May 17th 2013, 6:54 pm
Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Having glanced at your blog you seem a little undecided as a family, No offence intended. Trust me in when you all find somewhere you want to move to there will be no difference of opinion and the cards just kind of slot together. Emigrating with differences of opinion in location is fatal ask anyone it guarantees resentment divorce or a expensive move back to the UK.
No offence taken.

I do not think that we will find a place that we will all want to live. I think that we are all going to need to make a compromise.

The only thing that my partner and I are in agreement about is that we would like to move (he has said to me about America or Canada but I do not think that is going to be possible for us)

I suppose I just want to have something that I can aim for and actually make a start on moving toward the goal.

Thank you ^^
Old May 18th 2013, 7:35 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
You must ensure that your joint income is sufficient to bring up your children decently. To give you an idea, the official French Poverty Threshold for a couple is approx 1500€ per month, and with 3 children this must reach about 2000€ per month. This is for the basics and doesn't cover new clothes, travel and treats....This means that you must have a regular salary no less than that figure. You'll get a pawltry Family Allowance, but no other benefits. If you and your partner aren't legally bound (married or pacsĂ©d), whoever isn't working won't be covered by the other one's S.S. coverage (= private healthcare coverage after the S1 runs out, not included in the above figure).
To save every one reading your Blog, what are your lines of work? Do you speak French? How old are your children? You must consider their schooling and our advice depends on whether they are of Primaire or Secondaire age. From what C-S says, you aren't all in agreement. IMHO this will be fatal for your relationships.
Come back with more personal details, also why the extremely vague "south of France"? We'll be able to advise better with more info.
Old May 18th 2013, 10:44 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
IMHO you need commitment to move to France.
It isn't just moving from Crail to Cannes with sunshine and wine.
You would be moving to a totally different language and culture where there are loads of french unemployed for every available job.
At least in Canada you would not have had the language problems associated with having to live with a second language.
It is certainly possible to make this move as the members of this forum show but it works best for those who really, really want to live in France.
If it is your second or third choice of country then I think that you would struggle when you discover just how different life is in France.
Also photographic equipment is about 30% - 50% dearer in France.
I always bring mine from the UK.
You need to search this forum for topics such as education; employment and healthcare.
Good luck
Old May 19th 2013, 9:10 pm
Jedi Master

Thank you for your replies.

Dmu, I know it seems vague. From what I have discovered through Google street view I would like to move to somewhere in the south west.

My partner is qualified to be a ranger. At the moment I am not qualified to do anything, though I have been developing my photographic skills.

I really need to sit down and write a list out of what I need to do.

Cyrian

I am aware that it is a bit lifestyle change and that I will have to learn another language (I have got a program for learning French and I can take a college course as well)

Hopefully by the time that we will be in the best position to move the employment situation will have improved.

I know that I need to read up about what I will need to do though.

Aside from Wikipedia, which site would be good for researching about France (health care, education etc)?

Thank you
Old May 20th 2013, 1:22 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I don't wish to rain on your parade, but I loved most of the time (about 20 years) that I lived in France, where our son was born, but it was by no means easy. Depending on the age of your children, try to go to France and stay a few months, rent a house, and apply for some form of employment and see how you get on. It's easy to think it's all possible when you are in the UK, but quite another matter when you are in France and your savings are dwindling and the future looks bleak. I would not leave the safety net of the UK with children for an uncertain life in France. I would move to France tomorrow if a) I were completely bi-lingual and single or b) if I had a reasonable income and had retired. Without that, I wouldn't budge. I've just moved to Canada, and I miss lots from my life in France, but know that the long term future of my family and son are better here.
Old May 20th 2013, 6:51 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

My partner is qualified to be a ranger. At the moment I am not qualified to do anything, though I have been developing my photographic skills.

Thank you
Hi, I looked up "garde-forestier" (ranger) and they are members of the Office National des ForĂȘts, i.e. Civil Servants. It may be possible now for EU citizens to become certain Fonctionnaires, but your partner would have to be bilingual at least in forestry and administration, as their role is to act as intermediary between the Administrations, private forest owners and woodworkers. I imagine there'd be stiff competition for any jobs going, most candidates having done a Professional Bac and more in Forestry Administration. As for photography, I'm sorry to say that you will find it difficult to earn a living. With digital photograhy at everyone's disposal, and belts being tightened for luxuries such as professional wedding and portrait photos, our nearest photographer, for example, only opens three times a week now.
France is a beautiful country, but if you aren't earning enough to bring up your children decently, you can't eat the scenery and the future will be more than bleak.
Sorry to be such a pessimist, but I'm being realistic. Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old May 20th 2013, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for your replies.

Dmu, I know it seems vague. From what I have discovered through Google street view I would like to move to somewhere in the south west.

Cyrian

I am aware that it is a bit lifestyle change and that I will have to learn another language (I have got a program for learning French and I can take a college course as well)

Hopefully by the time that we will be in the best position to move the employment situation will have improved.

Aside from Wikipedia, which site would be good for researching about France (health care, education etc)?

Thank you
There are magazines available in the UK and they have online versions which cover lots of topics which are relevant.
Have a look in any big supermarket (Tesco Extra) or WH Smith for "Living France" or some others.
These magazines cover the topics you want to read.
Have a look here: http://www.connexionfrance.com/
My daughter studied french at school for 6 years and then at university for 3 years before spending a year at a french university - initially she really struggled with the day-to-day language - 9 years of study and she still relied on my wife (who is bi-lingual) to rent a flat and set-up electricity accounts and bank account for her.
Old May 20th 2013, 1:50 pm
Jedi Master

Millie, it would be good to across to France for an extended holiday to get a good feel for the place. Hehe I think I will just have to put a pin in the map to see where to go though.

DMU, thank you for finding that out. I think I will have to look more into what kind of jobs he can do and what their prospects are.

Yup there are a lot of photographers now. Though I am not considering doing portrait or wedding photography (way too stressful) I think it would be better for me to get an agent who will have the contacts and be able to advise me how to make my photographs sell.

You are right though. It is better to be forewarned and prepared.

Thank you for the information and the link. Hopefully I will be able to order the magazine from one of the local shops.

Thank you again for your help and advise. It has given me a lot to think about and plan out.

I will post updates.

Wish me luck please.
DG
Old May 21st 2013, 8:42 am
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

Please don't underestimate the dire employment situation in France. I will, literally, be made homeless next year if I can't find another job. I was made redundant nearly 3 years and cannot find anything. I speak and write French, am highly qualified but that's the reality of it. My bilingual 20 year old son can't find anything either ... just warning you. I know of many others in the same situation. If you need to find work to move here DON'T.