Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Healthcare costs for children

Healthcare costs for children

Old Feb 15th 2009, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

bramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to beholdbramblebush is a splendid one to behold
Default Healthcare costs for children

We have been living in France for 3 1/2yrs, my husband is working and paying into the system and therefore we have a Carte Vitalle.

We have never taken out a top up though, I know we should

Anyway, my 17yr old daughter who is in fulltime education had her tonsils out in November, I have been expecting a bill for the percetage that is not covered by the Carte Vitalle.

I am now wondering if we actually have to a pay anything.

Somebody said to me that if they are in fulltime education then they get 100% cover automatically.

I am not so sure, can anyone answer this.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:40 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Healthcare costs for children

Originally Posted by bramblebush
We have been living in France for 3 1/2yrs, my husband is working and paying into the system and therefore we have a Carte Vitalle.

We have never taken out a top up though, I know we should

Anyway, my 17yr old daughter who is in fulltime education had her tonsils out in November, I have been expecting a bill for the percetage that is not covered by the Carte Vitalle.

I am now wondering if we actually have to a pay anything.

Somebody said to me that if they are in fulltime education then they get 100% cover automatically.

I am not so sure, can anyone answer this.
As I understand it, As I have been through the life threatening approach. Is anything considered Life Threatening is covered at 100% including Surgical Procedures. Transit between Hospitals is not. It would not be an Age thing. In this area the doctors are prone to prescribing medicines that are not even covered by the top up insurance. Lot's of people do manage on just CMU cover with no Top Up insurance but one would then have to pay a lot for certain Dental Treatment and Eye Prescriptions. Our Top Up was Free for the first year when our little girl was born. For a Familiy of Four on the best cover that we could find for Mutual it cost's 120 Euros a month. Considering the last Hospital stay I had the percentage that the Mutual Paid hit 700,000.00 Euros, That's Head Injuries for you for nearly 3 months I had a CAT Scan every day in the rehad stage it was once a week then month now I have one Every 6 months or when I get a headache.

My advice would be Get the Top UP, You never know what's going to sneak up on you.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Feb 15th 2009 at 10:44 am.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 10:56 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
As I understand it, As I have been through the life threatening approach. Is anything considered Life Threatening is covered at 100% including Surgical Procedures. Transit between Hospitals is not. It would not be an Age thing. In this area the doctors are prone to prescribing medicines that are not even covered by the top up insurance. Lot's of people do manage on just CMU cover with no Top Up insurance but one would then have to pay a lot for certain Dental Treatment and Eye Prescriptions. Our Top Up was Free for the first year when our little girl was born. For a Familiy of Four on the best cover that we could find for Mutual it cost's 120 Euros a month. Considering the last Hospital stay I had the percentage that the Mutual Paid hit 700,000.00 Euros, That's Head Injuries for you for nearly 3 months I had a CAT Scan every day in the rehad stage it was once a week then month now I have one Every 6 months or when I get a headache.

My advice would be Get the Top UP, You never know what's going to sneak up on you.
So you're the 'Almost A Million Euro Man' then, Ka?

It's worth knowing that if you fall below a certain income level, then it's 100% - no real need for a Mutuelle. That's what I was told by our accountant a week or two ago.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by Le Chant
So you're the 'Almost A Million Euro Man' then, Ka?

It's worth knowing that if you fall below a certain income level, then it's 100% - no real need for a Mutuelle. That's what I was told by our accountant a week or two ago.
Yes but as I said, See a Dentist and tell them your CMU only, It does not work so well in practice. A friend of mine here is an Artist and CMU only. It does cause him grief from time to time.
Old Feb 15th 2009, 12:57 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
As I understand it, As I have been through the life threatening approach. Is anything considered Life Threatening is covered at 100% including Surgical Procedures.
Considering the last Hospital stay I had the percentage that the Mutual Paid hit 700,000.00 Euros, That's Head Injuries for you for nearly 3 months I had a CAT Scan every day in the rehad stage it was once a week then month now I have one Every 6 months or when I get a headache.

Sorry to hear about your problem, Ka Ora!
Touch wood, we've never had the need, but I've always understood that, when they cut you open in an "établissement conventionné" (i.e. not a private clinic), it's covered 100% by the S.S.
As you say, it's advisable to get a Mutuelle, you never know what non-surgical treatment the family might need in the future, however healthy they are now...
Old Feb 15th 2009, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by dmu
Sorry to hear about your problem, Ka Ora!
Touch wood, we've never had the need, but I've always understood that, when they cut you open in an "établissement conventionné" (i.e. not a private clinic), it's covered 100% by the S.S.
As you say, it's advisable to get a Mutuelle, you never know what non-surgical treatment the family might need in the future, however healthy they are now...
Well when we first moved here we were unaware of the Top Up part and I had to be transfered between Hospitals after a Heart Attack. The journey cost me 450 euros to go 60 Kms. I have seen more of the Health System than I ever anticipated I would being early thirties when we moved here. The rest of it is in failing to anticipate my own stupidity.