Health Ins.

Old Jun 3rd 2018, 5:36 pm
Forum Regular

Exp76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Ins.

Originally Posted by Quickenberg
Hi

Just checking how long we have to move before 'B'day and all nonsense that comes with it...

Am I right in thinking that UK folk can move with the current EU rights etc throughout the transition period?
If so, that would take us to Dec 2020 as cut off point?

Thank you in advance.

Quickenberg
As things stand now the answer is yes. BUT, that and very thing else agreed to so far is all contingent on a final deal being agreed. Moving before the exit date does give you the right to stay in France without
going through all the hoops non EU citizens have to jump through now to get a residents visa.

If it's not against forum rules, could you post the names of the insurance companies that you have obtained quotes from ? Otherwise, if you can message me with the info I'd be grateful.

Last edited by Exp76; Jun 3rd 2018 at 5:39 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jun 3rd 2018, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

Quickenberg is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Exp76

Thanks for you reply. Seems best to get going sooner rather than later regarding moving...

Insurance companies were-

AxA
Cigna

And awaiting quote from French-property.com website.

cheers

Quickenberg
Old Jun 4th 2018, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

I'll risk another question about health.

OK, say I moved to France, settled and qualified for the French health System and residency after a period-say a year or so-
Would that continue after Brexit?

I mean, at the moment the NHS pays the French system for Brits living in France I think.
Or are you totally detached from relying on the UK in any form?

If there is no deal Brexit, would you continue to enjoy the French system or would you have to revert to permanent private health insurance?

cheers and thank you for any replies

Quickenberg
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

When you say qualify for the french system then if you are resident for 3 months or are working and contributing (paying taxes or social contributions) to the system then you are not relying on the UK to pay.
I think that you previously stated that you were under UK State Pension age and that means that the UK will not pay for health care in France for you until you are in receipt of the UK pension.
It is currently being suggested that UK citizens resident in France should apply for a carte de sejour asap to avoid a bottleneck in the system on Brexit.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

Thanks cyrian

Does that mean then the 3 months qualifies you AND/OR
do you pay for sociial contributions towards the health service?

I'm trying to work out how I would be contributing as in my case I would be relying on renting a house in the UK.
Would I declare that income for tax purposes?

I am confused as to where I would stand in all this.

How does carte de sejour resovle this?

Sorry for the long winded confusion etc

Quickenberg
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:46 am
Forum Regular

OK thanks everyone for your help and replies

I think I am starting to understand it all. This is a good link that also helped and has good information on health in France etc-

Health care in France - Working together to protect the rights ​of UK citizens living in France

Cheers all

Quickenberg
Old Jun 4th 2018, 8:49 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks cyrian

Does that mean then the 3 months qualifies you AND/OR
do you pay for sociial contributions towards the health service?

I'm trying to work out how I would be contributing as in my case I would be relying on renting a house in the UK.
Would I declare that income for tax purposes?

I am confused as to where I would stand in all this.

How does carte de sejour resovle this?

Sorry for the long winded confusion etc

Quickenberg
I already anticipated and answered that question in #2!
What we're trying to get over is that, since your sole income is unearned (= no contributions being paid in France), you must take out private healthcare insurance until such times as you're eligible for PUMa (and Résidence). If your proven rental income is higher than the minimum-income condition for Résidence and you take out private healthcare insurance from Day-1, and probably provide all the various documents justifying domicile (Title Deeds/rental receipts, Utility bills, ...), it should be fairly straightforward. As said, it's unlikely the PUMa will kick in rapidly and since it's compulsory to have healthcare insurance, an annual private contract would probably be advisable.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Thanks dmu

My own situation - relying on renting out a house in UK for my income- just caused a bit of confusion. In ther words I would be 'inactif'.

I see now that you would apply for PUMa after 3 months and pay a contribution of 8% or what ever after assessment.
Although this is discretionary I think I'm right in saying..

For residency I would be able to qualify for the income requirement for a single person etc.

But initially take out private health insurance until the PUMa is arranged etc (maybe a year or so).

Hopefully that is all correct.

thank you

Quickenberg
Old Jun 4th 2018, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

Hi dmu

What we're trying to get over is that, since your sole income is unearned (= no contributions being paid in France), you must take out private healthcare insurance until such times as you're eligible for PUMa (and Résidence).

For an inactif it looks like it may be 5 years to qualify for PUMa-'However, the introduction of PUMA makes no change to the legal residency requirements, which continue to state that to be entitled to health care you must reside in the country in a manner that is 'stable et régulière'.As far as EEA residents are concerned, the first of these tests is easily accomplished, for the law merely requires that in order to open your rights you must have been resident for a minimum of three months, and then to live in France at least six months a year.Strictly speaking, the régulière test continues to be a problem for economically inactive early retirees from Europe, for it requires you have health insurance cover and be resident for at least five years.In guidance issued as part of the introduction of PUMA early retirees with under 5 years' legal residence are excluded from PUMA unless there was a change in their circumstances whilst resident in France that prevents them continuing to obtaining private health insurance'.

from french-property.com
Old Jun 4th 2018, 9:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Ignore the bit you bolded, it is rubbish. Hundreds of early retirees have been accepted by PUMA.
Be careful what you read because there is a lot of misinformation about. It is always best to go to the official French sources, rather than other people's sometimes incorrect interpretations of them.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 10:07 am
Forum Regular

Quite a lot of doom out there if you are not careful.
It is always best to go to the official French sources, - absolutely.

I expect the main concern for them is for you to be able to support yourself at the end of the day.

cheers all and thanks,

quickenberg
Old Jun 4th 2018, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Quite a lot of doom out there if you are not careful.
It is always best to go to the official French sources, - absolutely.

I expect the main concern for them is for you to be able to support yourself at the end of the day.
It's what EU freedom of movement is all about - opening up opportunities to EU citizens BUT at the same time protecting against abuse by setting out measure that all EU states can adopt if they wish to protect themselves from an influx of incomers from other states who would potentially become a drain on national resources. If the UK had made proper use of these mechanisms and put an efficient filtering system in place as other countries have, we might not be where we are now.
Old Jun 4th 2018, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

yup agreed