Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Health Care Discrimination

Health Care Discrimination

Old Nov 24th 2007, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

Grand Fromage is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Health Care Discrimination

I believe CPAM in The Lot have been very quick off the mark, I hope they're just as quck if anything changes
Old Nov 25th 2007, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

pepsisue is an unknown quantity at this point

Please remember this is just a senario: If you cannot get health cover due to ongoing medication, and you cannot afford to go back to UK, but nevertheless you have to find lodgings, and you cannot sell your house in France in an instant, which would give you financial support. The animals that you so dearly love, need a blood test before they can return to UK, provided if you do find lodgings that allow pets. So when you become illegal, do they take you away and pay for your trip home, then tell you that you have to appeal to enter their country again, on refusal, what happens to your house and pets..
Sorry if this all sounds dramatic, but some of this effects people from all walks of life.

TRISTE
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:03 am
Forum Regular

peaches17 will become famous soon enoughpeaches17 will become famous soon enough

I felt very concerned for those here who seem to have enormous worry over the state of ex pat healthcare in France, so I hope this may help.

In the british Newspaper, The Daily Mail, this morning, November 26th, on page 6, under the heading, EU opens door to health 'tourists,' there is a short article suggesting radical proposals are being drawn up by Brussels to lift border restrictions on medical treatment. Britons travelling abroad for health care, ranging from dental work to open heart surgery would have their treatment funded by the NHS. Surely this will include ex-pats? I don't see how they could be excluded.

Of course who knows how long this will take to have an effect. However, I cannot see how, within a 'united' Europe, France can oppose health treatment to existing ex-pats. The idea is simply ludicrous.

Also being kept darkish, is, the EU courts ruled on 18th October 07 that disability living allowance and care allowances, etc., must continue for those currently receiving such allowances in their member state should they change borders. They sited Sweden, Norway and the UK as they have these benefits in place. But, it will be for all those who live in member states who have thiskind of benefit. Which should be of enormous relief to those disabled people who wish to take the same advantage as others have to move to another state within the EU. So far this has been denied them.

So my point is, officials do appear to be moving toward sorting this out. There is hope for those of you who are affected by this. Hang in there.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 10:35 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't wish to pour cold water on any of this, but the way it reads to me is: that the Britons travelling abroad are 'tourists' not settlers, definitely not 'expats'. There is possibly a fear that because of the retrospective healthcare measures recently introduced by Sarkozy's government, that even travellers on an EHIC card may not be treated. I'd say that's probably unfounded, but possibly still a fear in some minds.

Although I agree that it's a very worrying time for many, I'm also at a loss as to how expat healthcare could be funded by the NHS as suggested by the Daily Mail article.

Secondly, as far as the DLA goes, the rules as far as I know remain unchanged. That is to say that if you were in receipt of this benefit prior to 1992, then it's transferable. If you're a recent claimant, (i.e. after '92) then it's not.

One thing's for sure, that this is one of the most complicated issues ever faced by Britons in France, and it just adds to the stress. I don't know what's going to happen with us yet, both under 55, but earning a very small living (certainly no profits according to our accountant) for the last 2 and a half years. Our E106 runs out in January, so we need to sort it by then really.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 3:04 pm
Forum Regular

Grand Fromage is on a distinguished road

http://www.french-property.com/newsletter/2007/11/26/

This newslash looks like it's possibly good news!!
Old Nov 26th 2007, 4:15 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

That does look like good news. Let's hope so.
Old Nov 26th 2007, 6:47 pm
Just Joined

pepsisue is an unknown quantity at this point

This is good news, but i will only jump for joy when i see the official statement.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 6:17 am
Forum Regular

peaches17 will become famous soon enoughpeaches17 will become famous soon enough

le chant, 28.10.07 the European Court of Justice ruling on disability and care allowances as well as attendance allowance and carers allowance can continue to be paid to claimants if they move to other parts of the union. You can download the judgement c-299/05.

And from what I have been able to understand by reading the various web sites, the situation for Ex Pats is likely to be much more favorable with respect to their healthcare requirements and expectations. This appears to me to be the only proper way forward, as in truth, if one is in a union of states, crossing a boarder does not make you an 'ex pat.' So, within a certain framework one should expect the same social benefits to cross the boarder with you. Otherwise it is not a union of states as I see it?

The real problem lies in population growth from one state to another. Or, from outside the union into the union. Which is another topic entirely. However, those within the union, full union members, should not be forced or expected to lower their standards to accommodate those entering, because this would be detrimental to all. As I see it that is.
Old Nov 27th 2007, 7:39 am

Peaches,

I don't disagree with your synopsis of how the healthcare should work. I just doubt that it can work like that.

The rules on Disability Living Allowance have changed dramatically then. We have my wife's elderly disabled mum living with us here and we were told in no uncertain terms that anyone who made a claim prior to 1992 would not be able to take that benefit overseas. Those who were claimants prior to that date would. There are different disability benefits, maybe therein lies the confusion?
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Le Chant, this is a new ruling as of 'last month.' If you type in on google 'eu ruling on disability living allowance and care allowance' the sites advising you of the decision will come up and then you can read for yourself. I am not making it up.

If you have someone living with you who was getting this benefit before leaving the UK and was no longer eligible, then I believe you can now re-apply. You may not get it right away, but you will be in line for it once they have determined how they are to go about this. A new application is very important. However, for those still in the UK and wanting to move to other EU states as of now, will able to keep their disability living allowance payments henceforth.

I hope this will help you and maybe you will be able to benefit from it.

Best of luck
Old Nov 27th 2007, 8:37 am

Peaches. I'm not suggesting that you made it up. Apologies if it sounded that way. Luckily (or not) the wife's mum is disabled by birth, so has been a claimant all her life. She's been able to carry the DLA over from the UK without a problem while others we know haven't, as they were either born too late, or became disabled after the 1992 cut-off. I'm amazed that the UK govt. (or was it the EU applying pressure) have made the U-turn, that's all. Thanks for the info, it just shows that there are pinpricks of light beginning to appear at the end of the tunnel for some!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 5:53 am
Forum Regular

Have faith Le Chant, remember, that above all, politicians want to look after themselves. So, they will have to make a good provision for healthcare for those who travel and live within Europe, because 'they' travel and live within Europe and they will want to see they are alright. To be without healthcare will affect them also. And if not them directly, their families.

With kind reagrds,

Peach
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

karunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to allkarunia is a name known to all

You are right to say that politicians want to look after themselves and their families - but private health care and special schemes with a high level of protection see to that. How things work out for them has very little to do with how they work out for those with a lesser social and economic status, i.e. probably most of those posting here!
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

frog22 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health Care Discrimination HELP please

Originally Posted by pepsisue
Hi All

Today i had my letter from CPAM with my cut off date ends 31st March08
Anyone else had theirs in Dept 82
I keep reading the cut off date is 31st March 2008, I hope it doesn't mean us. I am getting more confused than ever, my wife and I are about to take early retirement on 30/11/2007 and we are moving to France for good in February 2008 our house is sold in Surrey and we are completing a sale in France by February. My information was that I am covered for 2 years after arrival for health and GP sevices in France, then I will have to get insurance for 3 years for my wife and I until 5 years after arrival when we will be able to register as resident and then get part payment for health until we retire. My wife is 45 and I am 50. Some forums are suggesting that to register self employed may be a way of making us legal and paying 8% of my earnings into the French system, trouble is my consulting work from home for UK companies if I decide to do it, will yield at the most £6000 to £8000 per year, so I will be paying less than £1000 per year into France. And I was taking early retirement. Has anyone got an opinion please if this is enough as before the President altered things we thought we could just pay into the system without working. Now some say we cannot, and with me diagnosed Diabetic it looks like the health insurance route maybe blocked too. I just hope someone can assure me I've got 2 years to sort it while living in France.
Old Nov 28th 2007, 6:45 pm

Have a read of THIS. I've seen the article on the front page of Connexion, the French News in English newspaper, and it's looking far less daunting now than it was last week.

Frog22, is there any way that you could get over to France and maybe rent somewhere so's you can hopefully get a bit of a head start prior to your house purchase here going through? Just a thought.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.