British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Has your taxe d’habitation gone down? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/has-your-taxe-d%E2%80%99habitation-gone-down-929178/)

Annetje Nov 12th 2019 5:35 pm

Re: Has your taxe d’habitation gone down?

Originally Posted by south_bound (Post 12762934)
Similar numbers here - it seems we get taxed according to hours of sunshine here in the south!

I'm going to ask a rebate then ... And another rebate for every Mistral day :nod:

Oh Toulouse Nov 17th 2019 4:50 pm

Hello first ever post. Sometimes missing a few British humour!

Ours roughly the same. My parents zero they live near montauban. I thought it was a discretionary measure resulting from the gilets jaunes. For communes to be able to give a bit back.

Chatter Static Nov 21st 2019 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by Oh Toulouse (Post 12765101)
Hello first ever post. Sometimes missing a few British humour!

Ours roughly the same. My parents zero they live near montauban. I thought it was a discretionary measure resulting from the gilets jaunes. For communes to be able to give a bit back.

No it's nationwide wide and was planned before the Gilet Jaunes kicked into gear.... It was one of his election pledges if I remember rightly.

Our commune is a high tourism magnet and as such as we have self funded attractions in the commune we pay less tax anyway.

EuroTrash Nov 22nd 2019 12:47 pm

What is a discretionary measure, of course, is whether or not the commune then increases the base rate in order to compensate for the deficit that results from them being obliged to give reductions....
Eg a household used to pay 1000€ with the base rate set at N€
The commune is obliged to give them a 50 per cent rebate.
It ups the base rate to N€ x 2 and gives them a 50 per cent discount
So they are paying the same as they did when the base rate was N€.

EuroTrash Nov 22nd 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Oh Toulouse (Post 12765101)
My parents zero they live near montauban. I thought it was a discretionary measure resulting from the gilets jaunes. For communes to be able to give a bit back.

Over-65s have always been entitled to extra allowances, and for instance on a basic UK pension or equivalent they didn't have to pay tdh. Are your parents over 65?
Not sure why communes should be giving money back to people? They have to collect money from local taxes so they can provide community services - soup kitchens, libraries, road resurfacing, street lighting, flower displays, etc etc etc. The less money they collect the fewer services they can provide. Usually, residents don't like it when local services are axed. The commune starts looking run down and eventually nobody wants to live there and it dies.