Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

gsm sim card for France SFR

gsm sim card for France SFR

Old Aug 1st 2001, 4:39 am
Just Joined

Bruce is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there GSM experts.
I would like to use my Nokia 6110 in France. It currently operates in New Zealand on a Vodafone gsm network.

Can someone explain to me if it will have to be uinlocked before it can operate for 'local' calls in France?
Old Aug 1st 2001, 8:35 am
Siska

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

The phone is locked (or not) locally. It is vodaphone who would/would not have locked
your phone.

Old Aug 1st 2001, 10:36 am
Siska

[usenetquote2]> > Hi there GSM experts. I would like to use my Nokia 6110 in France. It currently[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > operates in New Zealand on a Vodafone gsm network.[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > Can someone explain to me if it will have to be uinlocked before it can operate[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > for 'local' calls in France?[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> >[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >

Sorry I had a phone call and had to leave.... Didn't mean to send the previous
post.... (it;s hot & my brain is melting....)

Yes, if your phone is locked you will have to have it unlocked to be able to use a
French SIM. Is it a prepaid or a subscription? If you have a subscription for more
than a year usually you can ask that it be unlocked for a small fee, even free
sometimes. If it is less than a year it can still be done but the fee will usually be
quite high and not worth it considering you can buy a prepaid in France for cheaper.
But again this has to be done with your original provider not in France. Prepaid
phones usually always have a hefty fee attached to unlocking them. But the rules
change often in the mobile game. Call your providers customer service.

Old Aug 1st 2001, 11:11 am
Dan McLean

I have a 5110 that I used in France recently, just bought a sim package from one of
the many mobile phone shops, they tried their sim in to make sure it worked and I
could make local calls (within France) about an hour later. BUT if you want to call
outside France it gets a bit more complicated, you need your passport and it takes 48
hours (in theory) to process this. I told the shop I bought the sims from that I
wanted to phone the UK but they did not know the procedure very well, I went back 3
days later to say I could not contact the UK and they had to do the paperwork again,
took about a week before I could contact the UK.

Regards, Dan in Scotland.

Old Aug 1st 2001, 1:41 pm
Michael Voight

Bruce wrote:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

What did Vodaphone say when you asked them??

Michael

Old Aug 8th 2001, 3:23 am
Mike Lane

>
    >

>
    >

Vodaphone phones in the UK are not locked, so probably not.

You can test it by trying a SIM card from a different network in your phone. If it
accepts the new SIM then it is not locked.

--
Mike Lane North Yorkshire, UK