Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Greece to France Move

Greece to France Move

Old Jul 10th 2023, 7:56 pm
Just Joined

Mollie Dot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Greece to France Move

Hi, new to the forum. We are planning a move to France from Greece where we've lived for 6 years and could do with some advice on the residency requirements.
We are from Ireland, though my husband was born in Scotland and so has a UK passport. We have Greek residency. We were beneficiaries of the WA and so are in the Greek Health care system by means of my husbands S1.
I know as an EU citizen I can reside permanently in France and get a Carte de Sejour, but what about my husband?
Can he get residency through me and my Irish Passport, or through proving his income and applying for a visa?
Also, can we transfer the S1 coverage from Greece to France?
TIA
Old Jul 11th 2023, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Greece to France Move

Good Morning
As an EU citizen you have freedom of movement in the EU so this makes it so much easier.As the spouse of an EU citizen he will be able to move to France with you and on arrival you will need to go to the local Prefecure within 90 days in order to get a "Carte de Sejour" (CDS).This will give him permission to stay in France and at first it may need renewing annually.As an EU citizen you do not need a CDS as the concept 0f "residency" in France is different to a lot of Southern European states where you have to jump through hoops to get yourself on a list of residents at the Town Hall-it is basically more of a tax type thing ie are you a permanent resident
In relation to the S1 do you have individual forms or are you both named on his? Having your own form is preferable.With an S1 you can join the the French health system straight away
There are several things different in France to Greece but I do not want to overburden you.However bear in mind that France will be more expensive than Greece and the tax situation is different so hopefully your income is enough to live comfortably in France
Bonne Chance
Old Jul 11th 2023, 11:24 am
Just Joined

Mollie Dot is an unknown quantity at this point

Wonderful thank you. Yes we each have an S1. We do still pay 25% here in Greece for treatments and prescritptions; I don't know if that will be similar in France. And the tax here is 25% on everything including breathing lol. We have done sums and think we will manage OK. Thank you again.
Old Jul 11th 2023, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Basically the French health system will pay about 70% of your costs and most people have a top up insurance aka mutuelle to pay the rest.
For Doctors visits and meds you pay up front and are reimbursed by the state and your insurance.The State will pay for everything if you have a long term health problem eg diabetes,heart etc.Some people have top ups to cover just hospitals others are bells and whistles policies.
You need to apply to CPAM to get a Carte Vitale then sign up with a Medecin Traitant ie GP
The French system is really good but be aware that in many rural areas doctors can be few and far between so this is something that you need to enquire about when you are house hunting

Last edited by Listen Very Carefully; Jul 11th 2023 at 3:13 pm.
Old Jul 11th 2023, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

One point to check out is whether your husband will have to pass a French language test. To get residency as the spouse of an EU national.

There was some talk of tightening up the rules recently. But I don’t think they actually did it.

Last edited by Helen1964; Jul 11th 2023 at 4:17 pm.