Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

goooooood morning

goooooood morning

Old Jul 6th 2011, 8:41 am
loving life

abbytuttut will become famous soon enoughabbytuttut will become famous soon enough
Default goooooood morning

Hi everyone,

well we finally got a "signing date" yaaaay

but now the nerves are jangling and the stomache is in knots with worry lol ...... on top of that we can't get hold of the estate agent who sold us the house, and when we do he doesn't send info as promised? (is it a case of ..i've had my money off you and now your on your own jack? - certainly feels like it! ) He did promise to help us every step of the way but so far hasn't answered any of my questions and worries.....

he was also going to help us to open a bank account but thus far hasnt sent me the paperwork he promised.

anyway that aside, i was wondering if anyone can give me a step by step of how the process works from here?

I mean do we attend the signing, sign the documents, get the key and move in that day?
at what point do we transfer the final amount due for the sale?

stuff like that

we are hoping to take some of our furniture across so don't want to be hanging around campsites whilst the money transfers or some other nonsense that we havent been told about

please help lol my nerves are shattered and i am definately never moving again after this!!

thanks in advance

abbs x
Old Jul 6th 2011, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: goooooood morning

Originally Posted by abbytuttut

Hi everyone,

well we finally got a "signing date" yaaaay

but now the nerves are jangling and the stomache is in knots with worry lol ...... on top of that we can't get hold of the estate agent who sold us the house, and when we do he doesn't send info as promised? (is it a case of ..i've had my money off you and now your on your own jack? - certainly feels like it! ) He did promise to help us every step of the way but so far hasn't answered any of my questions and worries.....

he was also going to help us to open a bank account but thus far hasnt sent me the paperwork he promised.

anyway that aside, i was wondering if anyone can give me a step by step of how the process works from here?

I mean do we attend the signing, sign the documents, get the key and move in that day?
at what point do we transfer the final amount due for the sale?

stuff like that

we are hoping to take some of our furniture across so don't want to be hanging around campsites whilst the money transfers or some other nonsense that we havent been told about

please help lol my nerves are shattered and i am definately never moving again after this!!

thanks in advance

abbs x
Re Banks
Go online and check some bank websites.
We used Credit Agricole because it had all the details required for opening an account on the website.
Others on the forum have had bad experiences with CA but we have been happy with them. They also have a telephone line for english speakers.
You can open an account as "non-resident" when you show proof of your property purchase. When you move to France then you notify the change of address.
You will need lots of documents.
Passports; birth certificates;marriage certificate; proof of earnings and proof of tax paid [P60];bank statements from UK bank.
Re Purchase contract
Normally you would be expected to be there.
The Notaire is obliged to explain every part of the purchase document to you and to make sure that you understand what it means.
If your french is not up to it and he cannot explain in english then take someone with you who can translate.
You will both be required to initial every page of the document and both write a short sentence in french followed by your signature on the final page.
You should have made arrangements for the type of ownership of the property and how french inheritance laws deal with the death of either party.
Inheritance is different in France and Inheritance Tax starts at a much lower level than in the UK.
You can deal with this by inserting a "Clause Tontine" in the purchase document or by variation of marriage contract.
The type of marriage contract you have will be stated in the purchase document.
Re money
You can transfer money into your french bank account normally within 24hours and at a better rate of exchange if you use one of the money brokers that advertise on the internet and in magazines. You can order currency in advance and you should haggle over the exchange rate.
Sorry I can't remember when we actually handed over the cheque because the money was already in France. Others will help.
Just remembered we had to pay by bankers draft which is quite a common way to do it in France and we didn't have to wait for our chequebook to arrive.

Best wishes for your adventure.

Last edited by cyrian; Jul 6th 2011 at 11:46 am. Reason: addition
Old Jul 6th 2011, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

we paid by bankers draft too; the money had to be in our account before the day and then on the day I went to collect the cheque.

You will also owe the old owner the rest of the year's tax fonciere (like council tax, which they will pay until the end of the year); you can ask how much this will be in advance and exactly how much you will owe from the notaire

Once you sign; the keys are yours and you can move in that day!

take care; its very stressful, but not much longer now!
Old Jul 6th 2011, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

EmilyA is an unknown quantity at this point

CA Britline are not just an English helpline, they are a full English speaking arm of the bank. We have found their service excellent and however good your French it is very helpful to be able to deal with banking in English. They also do insurance services. They are based in Caen, but can be used from all over France.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 6:36 pm
loving life

abbytuttut will become famous soon enoughabbytuttut will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by EmilyA
CA Britline are not just an English helpline, they are a full English speaking arm of the bank. We have found their service excellent and however good your French it is very helpful to be able to deal with banking in English. They also do insurance services. They are based in Caen, but can be used from all over France.
Britline is the only one I can find online in english lol - when you say they can be used from all over france? do you mean they have branches all over or just cashcard poiints?

many thanks for all the replies very helpful xxx
Old Jul 11th 2011, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by abbytuttut
Britline is the only one I can find online in english lol - when you say they can be used from all over france? do you mean they have branches all over or just cashcard poiints?

many thanks for all the replies very helpful xxx
CA operates in different regions throughout France and there seems to be some autonomy for these different regions.
As I said previously I couldn't access my CA Touraine Poitou a/c via the Normandy site.Just tried the Brittany site and it asked for my Department no and directed me to the correct website.
Your house is in Brittany and I have checked the CA Brittany site - try this link
http://www.credit-agricole.fr/espace-non-residents/
CA has branches all over france and also cashpoints.
Note that you will be charged a fee if you take money out of another bank cashpoint in France unlike the UK.
I normally use Google.fr when I am searching in France - don't know if it makes much difference.
Old Jul 11th 2011, 8:07 pm
loving life

http://www.credit-agricole.fr/espace-non-residents/
CA has branches all over france and also cashpoints.
Note that you will be charged a fee if you take money out of another bank cashpoint in France unlike the UK.
I normally use Google.fr when I am searching in France - don't know if it makes much difference.[/QUOTE]

Hi Cyrian,

Thats Brilliant thanks lots,
going to go read it now lol
xxx