Reload this Page >

Good restaurants

Good restaurants

Old Apr 25th 2013, 9:32 am
Just Joined

SistaCC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Good restaurants

Hi chaps !!!

I newly arrived in france and in the region.
I love French food but i'm not sure how to find a good restaurant over here.
Which way is more reliable ? apart from asking your neighbor ?
I usually choose restaurant over the internet. In france, which one is the best and the ones with English comments ?

Thank you for your answers !!

Old Apr 25th 2013, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of
Default Re: Good restaurants

Originally Posted by SistaCC
Hi chaps !!!

Hi,
What region would that be?
Old Apr 25th 2013, 11:01 am
Just Joined

SistaCC is an unknown quantity at this point

Centre / Indre 36 / Chateauroux...
Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Many many moons ago my husband's landlady gave him an excellent tip (one of many!)

"If you are in an unfamiliar place and wish to find a decent resyaurant then ask the local butcher. he will know who buys the best meat and who buys the cheapest"

We tried it many times and it has never failed leading us to some little gems. I well remember one small town we were passing through when the butcher asked if we wanted to eat well and expensively or just well. The just well turned out to be the local station restaurant and we ate there for many many years when in the area.

Otherwise look on Trip Advisor and ignore the excellents and terribles or invest in a copy of Gault Millau.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 12:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SistaCC
Hi chaps !!!

I love French food but i'm not sure how to find a good restaurant over here.
Which way is more reliable ? apart from asking your neighbor ?
I usually choose restaurant over the internet. In france, which one is the best and the ones with English comments ?

Thank you for your answers !!

In France you go and look a the menu and see what takes your fancy.
You would be better relying on how the locals react to a restaurant by patronising it than online comments.
I have rarely found a "bad" restaurant because the french will just not tolerate them. (fast food excepted).
It really depends on the type of french cuisine you like:
Student menus
Tourist menus
day-to-day eating for the french
haute cuisine
Michelin star

There are several classifications for restaurants.
e.g. bib gourmande
which can give you an indication that the restaurant has been reviewed and assessed.
I suggest that you just walk from restaurant to restaurant and see what you like on the menu and at what price.
Enjoy
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
I have rarely found a "bad" restaurant because the french will just not tolerate them.
Phew you're lucky! I have had some truly awful food in France just as I have in the <UK!
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
Phew you're lucky! I have had some truly awful food in France just as I have in the <UK!
We do scrutinise the menus and choose restaurants patronised by the locals.
We have a choice of around 80+ restaurants and are working our way round them.
This includes the entire range from student to Michelin and there is a lot of competition.
The worst meal I have had in the world was in a french hotel (Mercure) and was just not their normal standard - so it is possible.
Old Apr 25th 2013, 6:32 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
We do scrutinise the menus and choose restaurants patronised by the locals.
We have a choice of around 80+ restaurants and are working our way round them.
This includes the entire range from student to Michelin and there is a lot of competition.
The worst meal I have had in the world was in a french hotel (Mercure) and was just not their normal standard - so it is possible.
Meals aside well breakfast is a meal the staff in the Best Western in Fougères dont know the difference between off and good milk. I have never known somewhere to consistently serve off milk at breakfast like they do.