Reload this Page >

Going to France - Tenancy Notice in UK

Going to France - Tenancy Notice in UK

Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

manu31 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Going to France - Tenancy Notice in UK

Hi,

I have to move to France in a month, transfered by my company. I know that since last week.

My tenancy agreement says I should give 2 months notice but I have to go in a month!

Is there a way to reduce it? Do I have to pay 2 months ? Is a transfer letter sufficient to reduce it to 1 month (as it is the case in France for example)

Thanks for the help!

Last edited by manu31; Feb 10th 2013 at 6:27 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Going to France - Tenancy Notice in UK

Originally Posted by manu31
Hi,

I have to move to France in a month, transfered by my company. I know that since last week.

My tenancy agreement says I should give 2 months notice but I have to go in a month! Is there a way to reduce it?

Thanks for the help!
No.
You can discuss it with your landlord and give him the chance to get a new tenant. If he can get someone else then he will perhaps allow you to leave early.
You have a contract and you must stick to that if it is not possible to come to an amicable agreement.
The law of contract in France can be a problem for foreigners also when you cannot just cancel things like insurance etc.
Unfortunately, the law in the UK is different from France for tenants.
Speak with your landlord.
Old Feb 10th 2013, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

kazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nice

Originally Posted by cyrian
No.
You can discuss it with your landlord and give him the chance to get a new tenant. If he can get someone else then he will perhaps allow you to leave early.
You have a contract and you must stick to that if it is not possible to come to an amicable agreement.
The law of contract in France can be a problem for foreigners also when you cannot just cancel things like insurance etc.
Unfortunately, the law in the UK is different from France for tenants.
Speak with your landlord.
As a landlord in the UK I agree with Cyrian. But most will be reasonable and if they can find another tenant (which should be possible in a month if the property is ok) then they should let you out of the contractual obligation of 2 months. The sooner you speak to the landlord the better.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:00 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice, I will speak to him today...
I will let you know!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

If your company is insisting you move at short notice, and your landlord can't find another tenant, I suggest you explain the situation to your company. If they're expecting you to move at such short notice, I would expect them to ensure you're not out of pocket.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
If your company is insisting you move at short notice, and your landlord can't find another tenant, I suggest you explain the situation to your company. If they're expecting you to move at such short notice, I would expect them to ensure you're not out of pocket.
I got the landlord on the phone this morning, as the contract says: It is 2 months, but she is happy to let me go after a month if the letting agency find somebody within the coming month.

Not sure the agency will post an ad now or in a month time so I can do it in parallel (agreed with the Landlord).

And you are right, I have planned to speak with my company.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

are you airbus; or another company?? (just me being nosy again!)
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:24 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dennerlymum
are you airbus; or another company?? (just me being nosy again!)

subcontractor for Airbus
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

ahh! should be able to get something from them though!
Old Feb 11th 2013, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

yes I hope so. I will talk to my manager soon
Old Feb 13th 2013, 12:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

My son is in the middle of the reverse situation.
His tenant wants to leave a month early and is pestering him with all sorts of hard luck stories. He hates playing a hard Landlord but he has a mortgage to pay and needs the agreed term amount. An early move is not his problem, a defaulted months pay is. He has a deposit on the apartment which may be his only chance of getting the money.
Old Feb 16th 2013, 4:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

x2

If your employer is transferring you then really they should pick up the tab and if that includes an extra month's rent in UK then so be it !