Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

going back to work in the UK and living here

going back to work in the UK and living here

Old Oct 21st 2007, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

frenchie0005 is on a distinguished road
Default going back to work in the UK and living here

I want to go back to England to work as I cant get employment here and am not fluent in french. I am now resident here, so wondered if I need any specific papaerwork to work back in the UK from any officialdom here or can I just go and work as we are in the EU? I am assuming that as my wages will be paid into an english bank account I can just transfer the money into my french account, but how does it work with tax? as presumably I may be taxed in both countries...
Old Oct 21st 2007, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

artemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to allartemis is a name known to all
Default Re: going back to work in the UK and living here

sorry to hear that it didn't work out and I hope that someone comes along soon to help you. Were you in France for a long time? All the best
Old Oct 21st 2007, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Artemis, since 2004. I lived off reserves and spent a fortune here doing the place up. There is still some left to do but I looked for employment and had no joy, so want to secure a regular income and figure working some months back in England and coming back and fourth might make more sense.

Any knowledge re the tax aspect? I may downsize and move on to be honest, its something im seriosly considering now.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 3:33 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hallo and welcome Frenchieooo5,hope you ok,sorry to here of your problems.My husband commutes to France and he just pays tax in UK,the french tax people just want to know how much he earns and does not take any.His money goes into a UK bank account then gets transfered to here.Dont know wether this helps. Good luck.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

Thats what I figured. Are you both tax resident here then?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

I still have my old nat insurance number so do I just give the employers back nome that to use?
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:05 pm
Forum Regular

lol.......home
Old Oct 21st 2007, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by frenchie0005
Thats what I figured. Are you both tax resident here then?

Yes,My OH has siret here for French work and NI also in UK.Ive just got siret here,as I dont go back.He is covered both sides,which is great because(I hate to say this but)Theres always someone out there with a dagger drawn at your back(sad but true)im sure someone will come along with some other information for you too.
Old Oct 21st 2007, 7:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Legally if I, as a Spanish resident, earn money in the UK then I pay tax on it in Spain only and afaik it is the same in France .... if you are a resident in France you pay your taxes in your country of residence, i.e. France.

Your situation sounds a little more complicated so I'd suggest taking tax advice from someone who is fluent in EU tax laws.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Legally if I, as a Spanish resident, earn money in the UK then I pay tax on it in Spain only and afaik it is the same in France .... if you are a resident in France you pay your taxes in your country of residence, i.e. France.

Your situation sounds a little more complicated so I'd suggest taking tax advice from someone who is fluent in EU tax laws.
Id go with MB on this as our curcumstances are prob differant from yours.We all have differant things happining so you need to know how it is for you.I can only say whats happining to us.
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

I want to go back to England to work as I cant get employment here and am not fluent in french. I am now resident here, so wondered if I need any specific papaerwork to work back in the UK from any officialdom here or can I just go and work as we are in the EU? I am assuming that as my wages will be paid into an english bank account I can just transfer the money into my french account, but how does it work with tax? as presumably I may be taxed in both countries...
Sorry to hear you haven't been able to find work. What line of work are you in?
Old Oct 22nd 2007, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

It really is very simple. I was resident in France but working in UK a few years ago. You keep you UK NI number for life, so you just have to give that to new employer there. You will pay PAYE in UK but will have to declare on French tax return any amount you earn in UK. There is no double taxation, so any tax you pay in UK will be taken into account here. You do not have to fill any paperwork as such to work in UK if you are UK citizen - and you already have your NI number.