Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Gite/Chambre de hote business

Gite/Chambre de hote business

Old Feb 18th 2013, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice
Default Re: Gite/Chambre de hote business

5 letting rooms is the figure. The 6th would be your own accommodation.
A mortgage plus fixed costs can easily exceed 30k. That's 300 nights @€100
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

It's Saint-Antonin-Noble-Val - if you're considering moving to an area at least know the name of the place
Old Feb 19th 2013, 9:29 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

Who would ever google that looking for a holiday in France?
Old Feb 19th 2013, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wetwang
Who would ever google that looking for a holiday in France?
Those who might Google near montebaun instead of Montauban......

But seriously, to the OP, as I know the region reasonably well, I think you should conduct your investigation and research with great care during additional visits to France, in order to avoid disappointment and/or potential failure.
According to media reports, during the first quarter of 2012 there were over 16000 cases of bankcruptcy in France due to a multitude of reasons - which you're probably aware of. That represents over 65k persons just for that period alone, most of which are desperately searching employment - in addition to the previous large number of unemployed. To say times are tough here is really no exaggeration!
But the supermarkets remain crowded at weekends, and the ski-slopes are alleged to be as busy as ever, so perhaps some brilliant economist can explain exactly what is happening.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:06 pm
Just Joined

butzee is an unknown quantity at this point

I know the name of the place i hate typing!!!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Well as i did intimate earlier if we all hankered down because the world is in a recession of gargantuan proportions and wait till its ok to come out then no one is going anywhere quickly!!!
Yes we'll do our homework and be realistic about things and not look at france with rose tinted glasses!!!
I'm certainly not investing hard earned in a money pitt or in a region that's hard to pronounce let alone not on the beaten track!!
What i will say is that quality and attention to detail shines through always!!
Dont forget we are after the spring/summer/autumn market with anything else a bonus and we are looking to live in France as we want a change of lifestyle to get off the merry go round....idealistic? Maybe but worth trying with eyes open!!!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:36 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

The subject of the cost of living hasn't come up yet.
To give an idea of a minimum income, the official French Poverty Threshold is about 1400€ per month for a couple, meaning that you must be sure of a REGULAR monthly average take-home income of at least that sum in order to survive (this covers the basics, food, utilities, insurance, various taxes...), and much more in order to cover côtisations and Mutuelle for the Auto-Entrepreneur and private healthcare for the partner after the reciprocal arrangement with the UK has expired, treats, travel, unexpected household repairs...).
You'd be advised to bring over enough savings to tide you over during the first 2-3-4 years...
Anyway, we've given you food for thought. Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all the responses, no money has changed hands just looking and researching and realising that France with all taxes etc isn't a cheap place to live let alone work and thrive!!! Thanks again and any other pointers always good!!
Old Feb 19th 2013, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do not despair.it can done. It's all down to location and marketing.
You could buy an up and running business then there are no grey areas
Old Feb 19th 2013, 5:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by butzee
Thanks again and any other pointers always good!!
Originally Posted by wetwang
Do not despair.it can done. It's all down to location and marketing.
The OP won't know and I'm not sure how long you've been around wetwang but there is a member here (no longer active much, if at all) called Le Chant. His photo thread is a sticky. He and his wife run a small place with 3 gites and about 10 camping stands near Saumur, Loire.

The OP should look at his website to see how marketing and differentiation is done really well. http://www.loire-gites.com

Just in case he reads this I'd like to say that they are two of the nicest, well grounded people I've met.
Old Feb 19th 2013, 6:04 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

^^ I was just looking at Le Chant's photo thread and came across some posts by Treskillard. Does anyone know what happened to him: he last posted about 2 years ago? Jeez, I'm getting old.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 1:16 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

There are so many regulations that now come into force with regard to wiring and safety, quite rightly, that can make these places quite difficult to run. I have a mate who has a 26 bedroomed Chateau and he can't sell it in the present market and nor can he operate it as a B&B whatever. I thought of buying a few places and converting them with particular thought to the wheelchair B&B market which seems to me to be particularly under represented in France, but eventually gave up the ghost because of the shifting goalposts.
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:16 pm
Just Joined

Seems the French aren't entrepreneurial then does it or bureaucracy and red tape abide?
Old Feb 20th 2013, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Garonne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud ofGaronne has much to be proud of

Oh my, bureaucracy and France - in abundance.
Old Mar 12th 2013, 1:05 pm
DKP
Just Joined

DKP is an unknown quantity at this point

I was very interested to see this thread. In particular the experiences of an established "chambre d'hote" owner.

I have been exploring this possibility and researching areas for a year.

I am now focused on the area around Montpellier.

As we say in England "location, location location"!

I have produced a business model, in a standard UK format, but I believe a French business model is different, can anyone help with this please?
I would also be very interested to learn of any legislation/ regulations specific to chambre d'hotes please.
I am looking to establish 4 bedrooms, in the upper quality range but mid price.
Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.