Reload this Page >

getting married in France

getting married in France

Old Apr 15th 2007, 4:30 pm
Mei
Just Joined

Mei is an unknown quantity at this point
Default getting married in France

Hi. I'm an American living in the UK with my British partner. We will be spending two months in Marseille and are thinking of getting married at the end of our stay. I've done lots of googling and found info on the US and UK embassy sites on the official requirements for marriage in France. What I haven't found are some basic things, like how much notice do you need to give the Marie to reserve a date? Will the ceremony be too complicated to understand if we are not both fluent in French? (Hopefully, we should have at least passing French language ability by that point and presumably we could see a copy of the ceremony in advance.) Anyone got any advice/done this recently?
Cheers. Mei
Old Apr 15th 2007, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

oliverandlouise is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: getting married in France

Originally Posted by Mei
Hi. I'm an American living in the UK with my British partner. We will be spending two months in Marseille and are thinking of getting married at the end of our stay. I've done lots of googling and found info on the US and UK embassy sites on the official requirements for marriage in France. What I haven't found are some basic things, like how much notice do you need to give the Marie to reserve a date? Will the ceremony be too complicated to understand if we are not both fluent in French? (Hopefully, we should have at least passing French language ability by that point and presumably we could see a copy of the ceremony in advance.) Anyone got any advice/done this recently?
Cheers. Mei
Hi,

My wife and I married 4 years ago in Normandie. We are Anglican and "borrowed" a Catholic Church and a UK anglican vicar to conduct the ceremony. We had to stay in the "parish" or commune of the church for a minimum of 3 weeks, and had to be organised through corespondance months in advance with the Marie. The actual wedding was conducted in the Marie BEFORE the Church and various documents were jointly signed following a declaration. From my experience the Frence like their paperwork, forms, declarations and traditions. You will also need witnesses from either side of the party. If you have the stamina go for it, otherwise Gretna Green in Scotland makes a much easier alternative.

If you are inent on getting married in france I can send you more info.

Regards,

Oliver
Old Apr 19th 2007, 1:10 pm
Forum Regular

herbie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oliverandlouise
Hi,

My wife and I married 4 years ago in Normandie. We are Anglican and "borrowed" a Catholic Church and a UK anglican vicar to conduct the ceremony. We had to stay in the "parish" or commune of the church for a minimum of 3 weeks, and had to be organised through corespondance months in advance with the Marie. The actual wedding was conducted in the Marie BEFORE the Church and various documents were jointly signed following a declaration. From my experience the Frence like their paperwork, forms, declarations and traditions. You will also need witnesses from either side of the party. If you have the stamina go for it, otherwise Gretna Green in Scotland makes a much easier alternative.

If you are inent on getting married in france I can send you more info.

Regards,

Oliver
The shocking thing I heard through a friend about getting married in France is that the woman needs to have an aids test! The woman, not the man! I have no first hand experience of this but other people have backed this up. It is a chauvenistic country and I know there are many laws like that still in place. Please check it out.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:16 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by herbie
The shocking thing I heard through a friend about getting married in France is that the woman needs to have an aids test! The woman, not the man! I have no first hand experience of this but other people have backed this up. It is a chauvenistic country and I know there are many laws like that still in place. Please check it out.
My daughter and son in law had to have an aids test to get married in Mexico.
Old Apr 19th 2007, 9:05 pm
Just Joined

oliverandlouise is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: getting married in France

Originally Posted by herbie
Hi, Yes we both took routine set of bloods, including hep B and HIV which were only recommended to be done and not at all obligatory. I think it was to ensure that both the intended were aware that there is nothing to hide from each other, or in other words you will not wake up one day surprised to find yourself yellow with hepatitis!.

[With todays society it is not such a bad thing to do(!)]

The terms and conditions of each commune do vary, however I am sure most places operate a relaxed option whether or not to have these bloods taken.

I enclose some documents that were helpful, when I got married in France. You may need to magnify the text!

getting married in France-mariage-en-france1.bmp

getting married in France-mariage-en-france2.bmp

Oliver