Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Getting French TV in the UK

Getting French TV in the UK

Old Jul 28th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hawthorn is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting French TV in the UK

This might seem a bit of an odd question, but I live in Dover and am hoping to pick up French TV so that I can have it on in the background and, hopefully, start picking up the language.

I have a TV but no receiving equipment, so what would I need? I am only 20 miles from France so I am hoping that I can get the same channels that they receive in Calais.....

I am hoping that I can avoid Sky, as I dislike that company, so would I be able to buy the French equivalant of a Freeview box? As I don't receive UK TV, there will not be any issues over compatibility with current aerials etc.

Thanks in advance of your help
Hawthorn
x
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:02 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Getting French TV in the UK

Originally Posted by Hawthorn
This might seem a bit of an odd question, but I live in Dover and am hoping to pick up French TV so that I can have it on in the background and, hopefully, start picking up the language.

I have a TV but no receiving equipment, so what would I need? I am only 20 miles from France so I am hoping that I can get the same channels that they receive in Calais.....

I am hoping that I can avoid Sky, as I dislike that company, so would I be able to buy the French equivalant of a Freeview box? As I don't receive UK TV, there will not be any issues over compatibility with current aerials etc.

Thanks in advance of your help
Hawthorn
x
No need for Sky, And it would not help for French Stuff anyway. You will probably need a satellite dish and point it towards Atlantic Bird 3 at 5.0°W.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Martin Parker will become famous soon enough

As Ka Ora said, satellite dish and a Freeview box will do the trick. You'll have to pay UK TV Licence though, even if you don't pick up UK channels!!!

Not sure how far the French terrestrial digital channels reach. Twenty miles is not that far, but I have no idea how strong the signal is or how close the transmitter is to the coast. Maybe worth talking to a TV installer or searching online.
Old Jul 28th 2010, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Martin Parker
As Ka Ora said, satellite dish and a Freeview box will do the trick. You'll have to pay UK TV Licence though, even if you don't pick up UK channels!!!

Not sure how far the French terrestrial digital channels reach. Twenty miles is not that far, but I have no idea how strong the signal is or how close the transmitter is to the coast. Maybe worth talking to a TV installer or searching online.
So I can get a UK dish and freeview box rather than buying a French one? Or are the freeview boxes pre-programmed for the country of origin? Sorry, I am not clued-up on telly equipment....

And I'm gutted that I'll have to buy a TV licence, I've not had one of those for a few years! Do you have to pay TV licence in France?
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, the satellite boxes work anywhere, it just depends which satellite you point it at that decides which channels you get.

You will need to tune the box to pick up the satellite you want. There should be instructions with the box, plus there is loads of info on the Internet.

I have just been researching this and it seems the number of French free to air channels are quite limited. To get many of the channels requires a subscription card. Have a look here but I would suggest some serious Internet searching to confirm what you are likely to be able to receive free and the cost and availability of cards.

It is a bugger about having to buy a TV licence, but as the name says, it is a "TV licence" not a watching licence!! People tried to avoid it in the past by saying that they only had video players and only watched videos - made no difference.

We pay a TV licence as part of our taxe de habitation or taxe de fonciere, I can't remember which, so no escape here either!!
Old Jul 28th 2010, 9:29 pm

For a list of what is on Atlantic Bird have a LOOK HERE

It's not on yet? But....

But dont forget about Fransat which is France's version of Freesat. Buy a Fransat Box, As the Channels will be encrypted but free thereafter a box purchase.

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jul 28th 2010 at 9:46 pm.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 4:42 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Just for info
a Freeview box will not work using a satellite dish.
Freeview is "terrestrial" - ie via a TV aerial.
Satellite is extraterrestrial.

You can get combi units...but dont conenct a Freeview box to a satellite dish and expect to see pictures, they are totally different broadcasting mediums.

A digital TERRESTRIAL receiver, connected to a TV aerial and probably amplifer and pwoer supply with the aerial pointing towards a French TV mast, may get you som eof the terrestrial frech TV channels.

A digital satellite receiver (free to air) pointed towards AB3 will get some of the channels. But not all of them, as mentioned. There are a very limited amount of french digital channels via satellite. You may need to look into a TNTSAT or FRANSAT box and card.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You can usually find plenty of UK installers who will supply you with a satellite receiver and a viewing card that will receive french channels. These cards need to be updated from time-to-time as the channels change their access codes to prevent pirate cards being used.
I think that freeview satellite boxes are available - check out Darty or FNAC websites.
TNT satellite?
Just noticed - Ka Ora just mentioned that.
Old Jul 30th 2010, 9:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The Guy
Just for info
a Freeview box will not work using a satellite dish.
Freeview is "terrestrial" - ie via a TV aerial.
Satellite is extraterrestrial.
Well spotted - a typo on my part!! i think it was getting on a bit by the time I posted that, or maybe it's me that is getting on a bit! Can't remember now.
Old Aug 2nd 2010, 11:59 am
Just Joined

hornist is an unknown quantity at this point

Fransat looks like a very interesting proposition for receiving French television in the UK.

I'm due to return to the UK at the end of the year after an assignment of a few years here in France, and I'd like to be able to keep receiving French TV in order to keep up my language. Fransat looks like a simple solution, especially if I buy a box here in France then take it to the UK.

But are there any limitations on coverage of the Atlantic Bird satellite? How would I find out if my part of the UK (near Bath) would fall within the signal?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 9:12 am
Just Joined

ajhurley is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it possible to watch French TV online in the UK?
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by ajhurley
It should be no issue, That being said they may check your IP address is of French origin first.

Here is a START
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ajhurley
Thats a good idea, online TV. Can you give me a few names of french TV channels that are interesting, ie not football or gameshow channels, so that I can see if I can find it online. Thankies
Old Aug 3rd 2010, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

cmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nicecmread is just really nice

Thats a good idea, online TV. Can you give me a few names of french TV channels that are interesting, ie not football or gameshow channels, so that I can see if I can find it online. Thankies
It depends upon your taste, of course.

Let's see, if you are interested in video games, cosplay, independent (French) rock music, and Japanese culture, there is Nolife online (yes, I know the name isn't exactly wonderful, but the channel is):

http://www.nolife-tv.com/

It requires a subscription, but the rates are very low and you can pay monthly. The site also contains links to popular web series which can be found elsewhere on official sites: Noob, Flander's Company, and Le visiteur du futur.

If you are into politics, there are two channels that put programmes online:

http://www.lcpan.fr/

http://www.publicsenat.fr/

These are both free. They show real debates in the Assemblée and the Sénat, along with inquiries, documentaries, and special programmes.

There are no doubt other channels online, but these are the only ones I watch, aside from Lux TV, which doesn't have an on-line presence.
Old Aug 4th 2010, 12:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Noted that gameshows or football are not to your liking, but no mention of what you really prefer.

Here are a few ideas from programs I make a point of watching regularly - namely Thalassa, and C'est Pas Sorcier.
http://videos.france3.fr/

Vie Privee, Vie Publique I also enjoy, but it helps to know the person being interviewed. Here are two recent interesting ones:-
HERE
A list of other guests can be found under the drop-down heading 'Emissions précédentes'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.