Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Galette de Rois

Galette de Rois

Old Jan 2nd 2009, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Galette de Rois

For those not living in France, but wanting some galette des rois on 6 January (Epithany) here is a recipe for you
http://www.francemonthly.com/n/1202/recipe.php
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 5:30 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Galette de Rois

Nice one Val!

We had ours yesterday! Youngest member of the gathering was under the table telling everyone which slice they could have. T'was the third year running that Syb got the couronne!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:30 am
down under where

treskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond reputetreskillard has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Val.
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:51 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh flippin heck, there goes the diet - AGAIN!!!!!! That decides it - Brittany it is if they got stuff like that about - beats Sarlat Duck, Castelnaudry Cassoulet, That Tripe Stuff from Carcassonne, Fried Goats Cheese from Gourdon and any type of crawling or swimming shellfish from Orthez!!

I can almost taste that with wondrous vanilla icecream drizzled with amaretto.

Val you are une etoile madame. But when you see me with my Fat Bum it's YOUR fault!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 6:56 am

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Andrea50
Oh flippin heck, there goes the diet - AGAIN!!!!!! That decides it - Brittany it is if they got stuff like that about - beats Sarlat Duck, Castelnaudry Cassoulet, That Tripe Stuff from Carcassonne, Fried Goats Cheese from Gourdon and any type of crawling or swimming shellfish from Orthez!!

I can almost taste that with wondrous vanilla icecream drizzled with amaretto.

Val you are une etoile madame. But when you see me with my Fat Bum it's YOUR fault!
It's brioche Andy, and we serve it sometimes here for dessert, with vanilla ice cream (the stuff with the pods in, cheapest one from SuperU is the best we've tasted so far) and raspberry sauce drizzled over the top. Try the 'chinoise' variant if you get the chance with icing on the top....
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 7:23 am
Grey Bombshell

Andrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond reputeAndrea50 has a reputation beyond repute

Crumbs, first job on the French house will probably end up as widening the door openings ................
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

You mean you can only eat them on one day!!! We normally go through a few Our 8 year old would eat them everyday, it is OK for him , he is skinny!A couple of years ago I went off to my aerobics class, scarily called gymnastics, got there, in my serious excercise gear, like the others, only to find the hall laid out with tables and chairs, we had to sit down and eat fabulous galette (declined seconds, honest) and drank cider or you could have wine. I mean really, I was so looking forward to doing step or whatever torture they had lined up
Thanks for the reminder Val, I'll make sure we have one on 6th
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:45 am
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Like Stu, we had ours yesterday...and today...

What had us in giggles was the labelling:

40% de fourrage

Emblazoned in gold and red across the front. At first I thought it meant 40% butter pastry stuff (fouree), then Lol had a terrible thought that it meant 40% oven-baked and you had to finish it off in the oven...terrible as we'd scoffed most of it already! Then we looked up "fourrage".

It means fodder.

WTH???

Hmmmm, could this be true? Made with real fodder? I know there's a lovely stable scene on the packaging but come on!!

Ok...anyone able to enlighten us please?
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Ooh yes, my dictionary has fourrage as forage - specifically green silage - we have tons of the stuff and I think I'd know if it was in my galette, it smells 'orrible!! I thought fourrage meant filling, clearly I didn't get that idea from the dictionary.
Anyway, I had a thought about the ice cream thing, my highly trained and quite fussy panel of testers prefer Aldi ice cream, it comes in big tubs (2.5 litres) and is pretty cheap. The chocolate one is really good too, with chocolate chips in. Just thought you'd like to know. The ice cream is one of the reasons my hubby cited as a reason for moving to France. Probably better not let him near Italy
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:40 am
Far Kynelle

Ewood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond reputeEwood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
Ooh yes, my dictionary has fourrage as forage - specifically green silage - we have tons of the stuff and I think I'd know if it was in my galette, it smells 'orrible!! I thought fourrage meant filling, clearly I didn't get that idea from the dictionary.
Anyway, I had a thought about the ice cream thing, my highly trained and quite fussy panel of testers prefer Aldi ice cream, it comes in big tubs (2.5 litres) and is pretty cheap. The chocolate one is really good too, with chocolate chips in. Just thought you'd like to know. The ice cream is one of the reasons my hubby cited as a reason for moving to France. Probably better not let him near Italy
Lidl do some good ice cream too
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:24 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jazzy n Lol
Like Stu, we had ours yesterday...and today...

What had us in giggles was the labelling:

40% de fourrage

Emblazoned in gold and red across the front. At first I thought it meant 40% butter pastry stuff (fouree), then Lol had a terrible thought that it meant 40% oven-baked and you had to finish it off in the oven...terrible as we'd scoffed most of it already! Then we looked up "fourrage".

It means fodder.

WTH???

Hmmmm, could this be true? Made with real fodder? I know there's a lovely stable scene on the packaging but come on!!

Ok...anyone able to enlighten us please?
fourrage = filling, i.e. 40% of the whole galette is the frangipane filling.
Amazingly quite a lot of French people don't like frangipane, which is why bakers always do galettes "sans fourrage", too, containing the traditional "fève".
There's a French word for people who collect these "fèves", but I can't remember it. (Likewise a French word for people who collect the metal tops holding the cork down on Champagne bottles - strange hobby....).
Bon appétit for les galettes!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by dmu
fourrage = filling, i.e. 40% of the whole galette is the frangipane filling.
Amazingly quite a lot of French people don't like frangipane, which is why bakers always do galettes "sans fourrage", too, containing the traditional "fève".
There's a French word for people who collect these "fèves", but I can't remember it. (Likewise a French word for people who collect the metal tops holding the cork down on Champagne bottles - strange hobby....).
Bon appétit for les galettes!
We collect 'em too....but only from the ones we eat!
Old Jan 2nd 2009, 10:44 pm
La petite noblesse

Jazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of lightJazzy n Lol is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks dmu and L'Acajou. Funny how filling also means fodder/forrage...I wonder how that came about....
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:52 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Le Chant
It's brioche Andy
The thought has just occurred to me, there are two types of galettes des rois. You must be talking about what they call a "couronne" in my area, a brioche with a fève in it.
All the postings mentioning the frangipane filling are talking about galettes made of flaky pastry, which I, personally, much prefer....
Old Jan 3rd 2009, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by dmu
The thought has just occurred to me, there are two types of galettes des rois. You must be talking about what they call a "couronne" in my area, a brioche with a fève in it.
All the postings mentioning the frangipane filling are talking about galettes made of flaky pastry, which I, personally, much prefer....
You're right dmu, there are two types. I was talking of the brioche type! That seems to be the main one, the 'couronne' in our area, though they do have the flaky frangipane ones too. Either/or, they're both delicious!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.