Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Full Private Health Insurance Cost?

Full Private Health Insurance Cost?

Old Sep 13th 2010, 12:40 am
Just Joined

nula is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Full Private Health Insurance Cost?

I'm moving/retiring at 65 to Brittany in the future and because I've lived outside the EU for around 15 years, I fear I'm not entitled to state health cover. I've been advised (DWP Newcastle) to check with another department whether the full UK pension I will receive will open a door to some assistance cover-wise from the UK, but...

Worst scenario, what would I be paying per year for 100% (or 70% etc) private cover, and indeed would there be a problem to get that cover at 65 years old?

Any other options?

Last edited by nula; Sep 13th 2010 at 12:48 am.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:25 am
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of
Default Re: Full Private Health Insurance Cost?

Originally Posted by nula
I'm moving/retiring at 65 to Brittany in the future and because I've lived outside the EU for around 15 years, I fear I'm not entitled to state health cover. I've been advised (DWP Newcastle) to check with another department whether the full UK pension I will receive will open a door to some assistance cover-wise from the UK, but...

Worst scenario, what would I be paying per year for 100% (or 70% etc) private cover, and indeed would there be a problem to get that cover at 65 years old?

Any other options?
Anyone in receipt of a UK state pension is entitled to an E form giving them entry into the french state system. This effectively means that the UK pays France for your healthcare, and you receive, like the french, approximately 70% of your health care costs. For the rest you will need a top-up insurance. These are readily available at very reasonable charge with no extras for pre-existing conditions.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 1:59 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Any other options?
Welcome to the Forum, If you get any issues give us a shout.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 8:25 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cupoftea
Anyone in receipt of a UK state pension is entitled to an E form giving them entry into the french state system. This effectively means that the UK pays France for your healthcare, and you receive, like the french, approximately 70% of your health care costs. For the rest you will need a top-up insurance. These are readily available at very reasonable charge with no extras for pre-existing conditions.

Thank you for that reassurance, but are you SURE that still applies to someone who has lived outside the EU for 15+ years and hasn't contributed during those years?

Also, Newcastle mentioned something about a requirement to have lived and worked the 2-3 years prior to retirement in the UK to be eligible for cover in France.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 9:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that reassurance, but are you SURE that still applies to someone who has lived outside the EU for 15+ years and hasn't contributed during those years?

Also, Newcastle mentioned something about a requirement to have lived and worked the 2-3 years prior to retirement in the UK to be eligible for cover in France.
Hi,
if it's any help, my elderly neighbour who receives a small widow's pension, never worked in the UK before she came here (40 years ago) and never contributed here. Yet she has a Carte Vitale which gives her 70% reimbursement for Doctors, Physio, Pharmacie.... (unfortunately she can't afford a "Mutuelle" (top-up insurance) for 100% reimbursement). When I see her next, I'll ask what documents she had to provide to obtain the Carte Vitale from the "CPAM".
P.S.
http://www.ameli.fr/assures/soins-et...beneficier.php
tells you about the CMU to which you might be entitled. Maybe a trip over to Brittany and a consultation at your local CPAM offices might be worth a thought.

Last edited by dmu; Sep 13th 2010 at 9:43 am.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

If you get a UK state pension you are entitled to what used to be an E121, but now is grouped under the general E1 forms. This is based solely on the fact that you have lived and worked in the UK long enough to qualify for a state pension, have reached pension age, and are in receipt of said pension.

The confusion is arising with the form that used to be E106 and is now also grouped under the E1 forms. This is for working people who are not of retirement age, and gives them some rights for up to 2 years in most cases, although this varies according to length and type of contribution. If you have been outside the EU for 15 years you definitely would not qualify for this, but as you are of state retirement age, it is not an issue.

You need to talk to the DWP, and once you have your state pension and are ready to leave for France, make the appropriate application.

Last edited by cupoftea; Sep 13th 2010 at 4:54 pm.
Old Sep 13th 2010, 6:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

dennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond reputedennerlymum has a reputation beyond repute

The E106 takes 2 forms actually.

Firstly, if you come to France without work it is issued for up to 2 years on the basis of the payments of NI you paid in recent years.If you come to France and work in France you will get a carte vitale on the basis of your payments in to the french system.

Secondly, if you come to France but are still employed by a uk employer who pays NI in the uk from your wages, you will first of all need to be issued with an E101 by them. This is renewable annually and after 3 years will become an E106; but 'a working person's' E106. Again this has to be renewed annually by your employer.

However neither of these apply to the person in question
Old Sep 14th 2010, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Thank you very much for the replies and information so far, which is a huge help for me.

It seems that the magic E121 might be the key to allow me cover in France, so I will check that out.

The first person I spoke to by phone at DWP Newcastle was adamant I wouldn't be covered. Then, at the end of the conversation he did mention something like, "...but there is something called E121/S1 that might help", and gave me this number: 191 218 6503 to ask about it. I've no idea which section that is as it's not on the DWP site and is always engaged. Does anyone recognize it?

Anyway, if it turns out that I am entitled to that E121 on hitting 65 and UK pension receipt, that will be a huge relief. Thanks again everyone, and I'll post the final outcomes (to help anyone else in similar situation) when I have it.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 7:33 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

To give you further reassurance, my neighbour got into the French social security system as soon as she received her Pension, having produced the E-form of the time (this goes back more than 20 years). (She apparently had no cover whatsoever beforehand, but luckily was very healthy...).
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

Dmu thank you.

Am I correct in thinking that the health coverage available to a retired 65-year-old would be 60%, thus needing a 40% private top up, for full cover. Any ideas what that 40% would amount to per year or per month?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:19 pm

Dmu thank you.

Am I correct in thinking that the health coverage available to a retired 65-year-old would be 60%, thus needing a 40% private top up, for full cover. Any ideas what that 40% would amount to per year or per month?

For a single person you can look to pay between 40 and 90 euros depending on the quality of the dental and optical coverage. A lot of the Mutuelle's will pay towards medical hotel rooms for spouses and children and allowances for TV and Telephone whilst in Hospital, Wifi these days as well.

Dental care here is a bit cut throat, It might just be this area. Dentists are prone to dragging jobs out over lots of visits.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
For a single person you can look to pay between 40 and 90 euros depending on the quality of the dental and optical coverage. A lot of the Mutuelle's will pay towards medical hotel rooms for spouses and children and allowances for TV and Telephone whilst in Hospital, Wifi these days as well.

Dental care here is a bit cut throat, It might just be this area. Dentists are prone to dragging jobs out over lots of visits.

Single. But do you mean 40 and 90 per visit or per month?
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:26 pm

Single. But do you mean 40 and 90 per visit or per month?
Yup could be a bit lower we pay 130 for a family of four, I have never looked at the sales spoof so im not sure of individual person cost's. I pulled a top end cost out of my head.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 8:35 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dmu thank you.

The Social Security is more or less 70% reimbursement. The various Mutuelles offer so many different options, it's impossible to say how much per month you'd expect to pay.
Your decision as to a Mutuelle will also depend on your state of health - if you are healthy, the monthly cost of the Mutuelle might be higher than the 30% that you aren't reimbursed for occasional consultations. Some illnesses are reimbursed 100% by the S.S. anyway (cancer, heart problems,...). I should wait until you are actually living here before you start along the Mutuelle road!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 9:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Yup could be a bit lower we pay 130 for a family of four, I have never looked at the sales spoof so im not sure of individual person cost's. I pulled a top end cost out of my head.

Is that a yup for per visit or for per month?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.