Reload this Page >

French Private Schools close to Geneva

French Private Schools close to Geneva

Old Aug 19th 2011, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Jane631 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French Private Schools close to Geneva

Hi
We are looking to move towards end of this year and are looking for a French Private school which would accomodate our 13 year old boy. Looking at the French Private system as we believe some are bilingual- anyone got any experience or advice on that? (We can't afford the International schools option as the move will be self funded). We've been thinking of areas about 30 mins from Geneva as OH will be working there.

Thanks
Jane
Old Aug 19th 2011, 12:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of
Default Re: French Private Schools close to Geneva

Originally Posted by Jane631
Hi
We are looking to move towards end of this year and are looking for a French Private school which would accomodate our 13 year old boy. Looking at the French Private system as we believe some are bilingual- anyone got any experience or advice on that? (We can't afford the International schools option as the move will be self funded). We've been thinking of areas about 30 mins from Geneva as OH will be working there.

Thanks
Jane
Hi,
Have you looked into the lycée international in Ferney Voltaire, which I believe is close to Geneva? http://www.lyferney.net/lyf_joo/index.php
Should you find a French private school offering an international course, make sure the school is "sous contrat" (avec l'Etat). This means the state pays the teaching staff and therefore guarantees a reasonable level of competence. It also explains why school fees are so low.
PB
Old Aug 19th 2011, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks PB, much appreciated. Any others you can recommend as I believe the Lycée is very popular !
cheers
jane
Old Aug 19th 2011, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

cuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nicecuthbert is just really nice

The Lycee Jean d'Arc in Gex has a good reputation
Old Aug 20th 2011, 7:45 am
Just Joined

Thanks Cuthbert (again !) much appreciated.
jane
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jane631
Thanks PB, much appreciated. Any others you can recommend as I believe the Lycée is very popular !
cheers
jane
Hi,
I'm afraid I don't know this area much; I only know the reputation of the Lycée at FV, which is where I would try and get a kid in. Beware of private schools that claim to be bilingual, because they often are in name only. In fact, apart from a couple of Franco-German lycées, an international school in Lyon or the one in St Germain en Laye, I would be tempted to say that there are very few properly international schools in the whole country. Lots of self-styled "international schools" yes, but do they really do a better job than the local collège or lycée? Look closely at what such a school has on offer. A European section doesn't necessarily mean much, just a couple extra hours or so in a foreign language. An international section should be offering GCSEs, 'A' levels and the IOB. Ask about pass rates in these exams. If it really is international, it's likely to cost a lot, catering as it often would to ex-pats whose companies sometimes pick up the tab, or for well-paid executives who can afford high school fees. To give you an example, the CSI in Lyon, which is state-run but with a fee-paying Anglophone section, costs around 2,750 euros a year. If you're planning on a long stay, why not stick your kid in the local lycée; it'll at least be free, and he or she will pick up French very quickly; although not necessarily the kind of French that will stand him in good stead later on in life. And don't think that private education guarantees kids staying out of harm's way; one of my wife's nephews had to be removed from one of the very top private schools in Lyon, because of drug-taking, which was rife.
What about Switzerland?
PB
Old Aug 20th 2011, 8:12 am
Just Joined

Thanks PB. Unfortunately don't think we can afford to live in Switzerland which is why we're looking at the French schooling. Although I may have a rethink and could be an option if the Swiss state system is a good standard. You're right the reason for us thinking of French private is to help with his integration as at 13 we're worried he will struggle with the language if we put him straight into a state school.
thanks
Jane