Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

French nationality

French nationality

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

sdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud of
Question French nationality

Hi,

I've been living in France for a little over 10 years, I've been married to a french lady for 4 years, and my 2 year old daughter was also born here.
I've been trying to weigh up the pros and cons of adopting french nationality by naturalisation. I've asked my local consulate what they think about it, and the answers aren't very clear . Has anybody already done this, and if so, what's it worth?

Many thanks for any answers
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

herbie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: French nationality

Originally Posted by sdale100
Hi,

I've been living in France for a little over 10 years, I've been married to a french lady for 4 years, and my 2 year old daughter was also born here.
I've been trying to weigh up the pros and cons of adopting french nationality by naturalisation. I've asked my local consulate what they think about it, and the answers aren't very clear . Has anybody already done this, and if so, what's it worth?

Many thanks for any answers
You don't say what nationality you are now but if you're British, what's the point? With Europe I don't much see why you would want to go to the trouble. I'm Belgian, still have a Belgian passport, I lived in the UK for 23 years, had 2 children there, then moved to France and I've been here 5 years. I've always had national insurance rights transferred without problems etc. and I can travel anywhere anyone else does! Save your money.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

sdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud ofsdale100 has much to be proud of

Hi Herbie,

Thanks for your response. It's true I said have said I was British.

I feel a little the same way as you do, in that I don't see any way in which my statutary right as a citizen have changed since I've been living here (apart form not being able apply for certain job position which are reserved for french nationals, or not being able to vote in any form of national elections (legislative or presidentaial).
My main cause for posting this questions was essentially to know if there were any other rights which opened up for me through the adoption of french nationality. I would of course, never give up British nationality (though I think we automatically keep it anyway.)
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 12:43 pm
Just Joined

rich68 is an unknown quantity at this point

Make sure you don't have to do military service if you get french nationality.
Old Apr 3rd 2007, 5:31 pm
Forum Regular

LOL Rich68.

Fortunately obligatory military service has been abolished, but it's true I hadn't thought about that one.