French Life

Old Aug 8th 2007, 11:02 am
Just Starting Out

4Kemps is an unknown quantity at this point
Default French Life

Hello

I was wondering if you people already living, working and even maybe settled in France, could sum up in perhaps 2 or 3 sentences what you feel French life is all about? As I know it won't be merely croissants, berets and cheap wine, I'd be very interested to find out expats' views of our neighbours' way of life.

Thanks
Sharon
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:02 pm
Just Starting Out

Default Re: French Life

Hmm, I think maybe I've asked a stupid question

I'll try and rephrase. What are the main things you have found in the French way of life that are so very different to the British way of life? Perhaps something that surprised you?

And are there any things that surprised you even more because they were so similar?

Thx.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 4Kemps
Hmm, I think maybe I've asked a stupid question

I'll try and rephrase. What are the main things you have found in the French way of life that are so very different to the British way of life? Perhaps something that surprised you?

And are there any things that surprised you even more because they were so similar?

Thx.
No, just haven't been around to answer this morning
For us I can probably sum it up in three words
family, fun and attitude
Family in this part of the world, is still a very important thing and it's lovely to see the youngsters still have respect for their elders. Often our kids friends can't do something on a weekend because they have to go visit relatives. And they don't mind
I envy the french their attitude. Many see it as arrogance but I don't and wish I could be more like them. I remember telling someone from the UK how well our daughter had done at school here and she was really scathing. Our french friends think it's wonderful and praise her when ever they see her.
It seems many British will put you down for doing well (you only have to read some of the postings on this site) whilst the french will praise you to the hilt for trying.
As for the fun part, well the fact that so many shops close at lunchtime and people go home to spend time together, have long holidays, make eating out such a pleasant experience, on this subject I could go on for ever, but we've never had so much fun as we have living in France.
Over to the rest of you
Old Aug 8th 2007, 2:22 pm
Just Starting Out

Val, thanks for that Sorry, didn't mean to sound impatient but reading back on my original post thought it might be a bit too much of a general question. Your reply has given me lots of encouragement. Can I ask you? Are you in this for the long run, ie do you imagine staying in France? And what prompted you to make the move in the first place (if that's not too nosy)?

Thank you
Sharon

Hi Sharon,
hopefully we are here for good, although every move we've made has been the last one according to my OH! Although originally from UK, we lived in South Africa for 20 years. With 3 teenagers we felt it was time to move, more for their sake than ours. We arrrived in France 2001 when my husband was offered a job by a large multinational company - a bit weird, they were German, had offices in France and my OH is English! That's why we ended up in Normandy, we had no choice in where to live, it had to be where he was working.
None of us spoke French but think the locals thought we were a bit crazy, if not something of a novelty, and helped us so much. They still do. My french is better now, but I'm sure I still make a fool of myself - only have to look at my daughters face sometimes to know she's trying hard not to laugh at something I've just said - and the kids never help you out, just let you dig yourself into a deeper hole!
I know we are really lucky to live the life we do and I know it's not for everyone. I think for those looking to work from home or run gites, the pressure must be enormous. To be honest though we have never found the beurocracy to be worse than anywhere else, perhaps because it was so bad in SA before we left. The few times we've needed it, the health care has been fantastic and I can't fault the schooling the kids got. Cost of living is definitely cheaper here than in UK and when you walk around town even strangers wish you bon jour!
Val

Last edited by val50; Aug 8th 2007 at 5:12 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:11 pm
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute

Simple. (For us , anyway). Leaving the house/car unlocked and remaining reasonably confident that everything will remain intact. Walking anywhere at any time of day/night and feeling safe. Not having to witness wanton destruction to street furniture and decoration (e.g. flower beds), no litter, and pleasant attitudes displayed by just about anyone we encounter. We are in a rural area, so obviously we can't speak for city dwellers. But on the slippery slope to self-destruction, France seems to sit far higher than the UK ever did. Just our tuppenceworth...
Old Aug 8th 2007, 7:27 pm

dreamcatcher is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there Kemps,Got to agree with Val,Chris and Julie.Im just fling through today,will give a proper post tomorrow.Love it here.

I think the French have it right,family,family,family.
Love of life.
Old Aug 8th 2007, 8:35 pm
Just Starting Out

Hi Val,

Thanks for sharing that. Yes, I can imagine the pressure would be great without work which is why we're going to take a bit of time to make sure our decision will be the right one. Having said that, living without a mortgage ... very tempting

Chris'n'Julie and Dreamcatcher, thanks for the replies. I feel more and more that if we could make France work for us, our kids will only benefit.

Sharon
Old Aug 8th 2007, 10:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant future

Hi all
Sharon good luck with all your research ...I am finding the research bit very interesting and yesterday I bought a book called Living and Working in France
written by David Hampshire ..so far it has been interesting reading as have the posts on this forum.
Val if you read this could you please tell me if your children went to French schools or Bilingual schools ..I would be interested to know

Thanks
Kate
Old Aug 9th 2007, 5:25 am
Just Joined

yorkssteve is an unknown quantity at this point

hi all,on website www.Expatica.com it states employees will be needed over the next 6 yrs or so will be:
40,000 in banking
150,000 in it
80,000 in supermarkets
420,000 in construction
just have to see if these materialise but might be a good thing to move sooner than later so you can improve your french to accomodate any chances that come your way
Old Aug 9th 2007, 6:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: In a pretty little village near Thiviers off the N21
onlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to beholdonlyonebrenda is a splendid one to behold

Hello

I was wondering if you people already living, working and even maybe settled in France, could sum up in perhaps 2 or 3 sentences what you feel French life is all about? As I know it won't be merely croissants, berets and cheap wine, I'd be very interested to find out expats' views of our neighbours' way of life.

Thanks
Sharon
Spaciousness
Improved quality of life
Driving has become a pleasure again - no traffic jams
Old Aug 9th 2007, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kate45
Hi all
Sharon good luck with all your research ...I am finding the research bit very interesting and yesterday I bought a book called Living and Working in France
written by David Hampshire ..so far it has been interesting reading as have the posts on this forum.
Val if you read this could you please tell me if your children went to French schools or Bilingual schools ..I would be interested to know

Thanks
Kate
Hi Kate,
we also got David Hampshire's book when we first arrived
Our 3 went to local French schools, but what are known sous-contrat schools (semi private). By the time the youngest left we were paying about 690 euro a year for his fees. There are no international schools in Normandy (maybe a job opportunity for someone) A friend my OH worked with suggested the Institut in St Lo, as their children were already pupils there.
Depending on which bac they choose, a few lessons are in English as well, to encourage the french children to speak English more.
If you do a search on this site, you will find some links to sous-contrat and find out more
Val
Old Aug 9th 2007, 9:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Kate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant futureKate45 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by val50
Hi Kate,
we also got David Hampshire's book when we first arrived
Our 3 went to local French schools, but what are known sous-contrat schools (semi private). By the time the youngest left we were paying about 690 euro a year for his fees. There are no international schools in Normandy (maybe a job opportunity for someone) A friend my OH worked with suggested the Institut in St Lo, as their children were already pupils there.
Depending on which bac they choose, a few lessons are in English as well, to encourage the french children to speak English more.
If you do a search on this site, you will find some links to sous-contrat and find out more
Val
Many thanks Val ...there is a Bilingual school near Montpellier but just incase we can't get them in there or its too expensive ..I just needed to here that other teenagers had done it
Old Aug 9th 2007, 10:10 am
Just Starting Out

Kate, what are your plans? What timescale are you looking at for moving to France, and why are you interested in France? I'm swinging between 'yes, it's a must-do' to 'is it really the right thing for us?' Is that a bad sign? Perhaps it is but we are thinking of a move in 2009 so we have time to decide. Our kids are 3 and 4 right now so I don't have the worry of their schooling hanging over me - yet. I'll check out that book you mentioned, was it written fairly recently?

Yorkssteve - interesting website, thanks for that, lots of interesting info. I've made the mistake of having a glimpse at the discussion forum on there, though, and have to say it was quite off-putting - lots of negativity. Eeek, won't look on that forum again

Thanks again everyone
Sharon
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:02 am
Just Starting Out

OnlyoneBrenda, sorry, just seen your reply so thank you very much. Good to hear it's working for you

Sharon
Old Aug 9th 2007, 11:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Kate, what are your plans? What timescale are you looking at for moving to France, and why are you interested in France? I'm swinging between 'yes, it's a must-do' to 'is it really the right thing for us?' Is that a bad sign? Perhaps it is but we are thinking of a move in 2009 so we have time to decide. Our kids are 3 and 4 right now so I don't have the worry of their schooling hanging over me - yet. I'll check out that book you mentioned, was it written fairly recently?

Yorkssteve - interesting website, thanks for that, lots of interesting info. I've made the mistake of having a glimpse at the discussion forum on there, though, and have to say it was quite off-putting - lots of negativity. Eeek, won't look on that forum again

Thanks again everyone
Sharon
Hi Sharon firstly OH works for a french company here in Adelaide but it is becoming increasingly hard on him to do his job from here and they would like him to base himself in France ( he is ther global sales director and covers South Africa ,England , USA Japan China and a few others ) so as a family we spend alot of time without him....hence the reason for the move ...we also believe it would benefit our children aged 14 13 and 8 to experience a different culture etc ( there is nothing wrong with Australia its just something we feel we want to do ) and i regularily wonder whether we are doing the right thing but the children seem keen to. Plus my gut feeling is that we should give it a go.
At this stage Montpellier is where we think we will go but I am coming over in September for a look around and I guess I will have a little more idea after that ..but definately somewhere south. All being well we will move Jan 2008 as that will allow my children to finishn there relevant school years and say there goodbyes etc to friends.
And finally ..i hope I haven't bored you to sleep the editon of the book i have was printed in 2006 and I gather it is reprinted and updated every couple of years ...it is actually written in the UK
Hope this answers your questions

Cheers Kate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.